Any Studio Ghibli fans out there?

Scribbles

• 2 months later...

YES!! Ghibli's the best! My favourite movie is always and forever Kiki. 

Howl's Moving Castle is my absolute favorite~!

It was also my first Studio Ghibli film, so I guess I'm a little bit biased on this one! I even went as far as purchase the novel a few years ago, and have plans to grab more of Diana Wynne's books.

I also really liked Spirited Away, Arrietty, and even Whisper of the Heart!

The one I really want to watch, but haven't gotten around to, is Princess Mononoke!

On 26/07/2017 at 3:04 AM, Scribbles said:

Do you have a favorite film?

Hands down Howl's Moving Castle. Not only is it my favorite animated film, it is my favorite film of all time. I love watching it with people who haven't seen it before because it takes me back to when I was about ten and watched for the first time with the dopiest grin on my face. There are many close seconds, but this one will always... I don't even know how to cleverly end this sentence. I can always use an excuse to talk about Studio Ghibli.

Heh, HMC is my younger sister's fave. I liked it but the pacing is weaker compared to other SG works.

I think my fave is Princess Mononoke but that might be because it was my first SG film way back in 1999. It blew me away. It helps that it was the perfect mix of action, drama and totally coherent story without much pacing wobbles. Although a close second if not equal to Mononoke is Whisper of the Heart. RIP Yoshifumi Kondo. SG and the larger anime industry lost a very unique voice when he passed but Whisper is a fantastic legacy to leave out on. 

I feel SG excels when their work is more grounded. Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, WotH, The Wind Rises and even Princess Kaguya serve as a good case for it. Their more grounded works with lighter fictional elements are more consistent in plot, characterisation and pacing.

EveningWonder17

Howl's Moving Castle, so much so that I watched it every day for two weeks when I was 14. I even read all the books by Diana Wynn Jones.  Spirited Away is a close second, it was the first Studio Ghibli film that I watched. 

• 3 weeks later...

So far I've watched Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke, Tales of Earthsea, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, The Wind Rises, Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart, The Cat Returns, Castle in the Sky, Arietty, Ponyo, From Up On Poppy Hill and...I think that's it and my favorite is tied between Spirited Away and Whisper of the Heart because those were my first.

Ah I can't decide! A local movie theatre had a Studio Ghibli event where at the end of the month they played a new film. It was soooo fun and wish it was still happening!

yes, I still need to see some of them but ive seen many and it's way too hard to pick a favorite. kinda depends on my mood that day.

Archived