Any Studio Ghibli fans out there?

Scribbles

Do you have a favorite film?

Hands down Howl's Moving Castle. Not only is it my favorite animated film, it is my favorite film of all time. I love watching it with people who haven't seen it before because it takes me back to when I was about ten and watched for the first time with the dopiest grin on my face. There are many close seconds, but this one will always... I don't even know how to cleverly end this sentence. I can always use an excuse to talk about Studio Ghibli.

Bernard XIV

Howl's Moving Castle is one of my favorites too. I also really like Nausicaa.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is my absolute favorite movie of all time, and I mean the un-edited original version, not the hack job Warriors of the Wind one they released on VHS years ago (fortunately, the chopped up one is no longer being sold).  Mononoke is another favorite of mine. Whisper of the Heart is pretty cute too, if anyone hasn't seen it.

@Pramana I've been wanting to watch Grave of the Fireflies for a long time now, but I keep chickening out.  I know I'm going to need a box of tissues and a gallon of chocolate on stand by.  

3 minutes ago, TessaMe said:

@Pramana I've been wanting to watch Grave of the Fireflies for a long time now, but I keep chickening out.  I know I'm going to need a box of tissues and a gallon of chocolate on stand by.  

If you're planning to watch it, I would advise scheduling the next couple of days off as recovery time.

1 hour ago, Pramana said:

Grave of the Fireflies (Isao Takahata, 1988) is arguably the best war movie ever made. I'm still recovering.

If you think that is bad, you need to watch "Barefoot gen" same theme, different story. Makes Grave of the fireflies look like a cake walk. It is also rated R for graphic material. 

My favorite movie is Spirited away.

5 minutes ago, Yato God of Tofu said:

If you think that is bad, you need to watch "Barefoot gen" same theme, different story. Makes Grave of the fireflies look like a cake walk. It is also rated R for graphic material. 

I haven't heard of that before. Intrigued but scared.

Watched Princess Mononoke on the 4th tripping some serious balls. Terrrrriiiffyyyyyyyinglllllyyyy intenseeeee .

My favorite has always been Castle in the Sky with Spirited Away following that. 

It's a tie between My Neighbour Totoro and Spirited Away for me - I can't pick from between them, it's like choosing between two children! I think Spirited Away is a better constructed film with a stronger story, but the world of My Neighbour Totoro is so idyllic and dreamlike. I really want to live in Satsuki and Mei's house!

Kiki's Delivery Service or The Cat Returns! My Neighbour Totoro and Spirited away are also really good, but I connected more with the first 2.

Knight of Cydonia

Spirited Away is my favourite. I love so many of the others too.

Félinferno

Me!

My favourite films are Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and Porco Rosso.

I love all the Ghibli movies I've seen so far, but those three stuck out to me the most.

I've never watched any Studio Ghibli but keep hearing about it. What films would you recommend for a complete newbie that has pretty much no knowledge about anything?

4 hours ago, Perkins said:

I've never watched any Studio Ghibli but keep hearing about it. What films would you recommend for a complete newbie that has pretty much no knowledge about anything?

All of them!! No okay Spirited Away - it's got the whimsical fantasy Ghibli feel but it's still easily accessible. Some Ghibli films are great but weeeird (PORCO ROSSO)

• 1 month later...

Spirited away is a true favourite to watch 😊. still need to watch howls moving castle 🙈. have watched a few others which were okay. 

I love Studio Ghibli, every movie is full of poetry. Hayau Miyazaki is a increrible movie director. This vocation I did a movie marathon of his movies.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of Studio Ghibli myself. I have 5 of their films, my two favorites being Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky (if you havn't seen that one and you like Studio Ghibli, you owe it to yourself to see Castle in the Sky).

Then Spirited Away is a close second, then Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle are tied for the third spot (which.....defeats the purpose of ranking I guess).

Those are the only ones I've seen, at least that I own and can remember vividly. I've seen My Neighbor Totoro many YEARS ago, so I barely remember it.

Truth and Lies

For all of you Ghibli fans living in the US, if you don't already know, Ghibli Fest is currently ongoing. Certain films in select theatres nationwide will be shown in September, October, and November for only three days! The upcoming movie being shown is Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, which has showings on September 24, 25, and 27! Spirited Away is being shown at the end of October, and Howl's Moving Castle is being shown at the end of November. Only one of those days are they being shown subbed, and the other two will be dubbed. If they're showing in a theatre near you, I think it'd be an amazing chance to see one of these masterpieces on the big screen. :) I'm going to see Nausicaä tomorrow with a friend.

My favorites would be Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke. I have most Ghibli films on DVD and own a variety of Ghibli paraphernalia, ranging from shirts and key chains to music boxes. ^_^

• 1 month later...

To all those who also love howls moving castle. Did you know it was (very loosely) based on one of my favourite books (even as an adult) by Diana Wynne Jones, it is so funny and fantastic, though quite different to the film I love them both but as almost separate entities. The film for being absolutely stunning and beautiful and the book  for its magical world, writing style as well as hilarious characters. I am sad not many people have heard of it as despite it being a children book it is highly underrated.

I also love Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Nausicaa and Kiki's Delivery Service. 

Review of difference between howls moving castle film and book if anyone is interested: http://www.thereadventurer.com/-home/book-vs-movie-howls-moving-castle-by-diana-wynne-jones 

MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO!!!!!

I was convinced for years that I'd made it all up because when the Fox dub was on tv in 1994, I tried to talk to all of my friends about this amazing film I'd seen, but nobody else had seen it or even heard of it, so I assumed it wasn't real!  I was 9, by the way.  Then I re-discovered it about 10 years ago and realised I wasn't going mad :lol: I have since discovered the newer dub, which is terrible, but that's the only one they sell on DVD now because someone else bought the rights.  Can't remember which company it was.  I watch the Japanese versions of most of them, but the Fox dub was very good :D 

I own quite a few Ghibli DVDs.  I never want to watch Grave of the Fireflies again, though - it was a very good watch, but left me depressed for days.  It doesn't feature on my ranking because of that contradiction.  My ranking would be:

2. Princess Mononoke

3. Porco Rosso

4. Spirited Away

5. Kiki's Delivery Service

6. Pom Poko

7. Howl's Moving Castle (mostly because of Calcifer and Howl's hairdo meltdown :lol:)

8. Nausicaa

9. The Wind Rises

10. Only Yesterday

11. From Up On Poppy Hill

12. Tales from Earthsea (just made no sense!)

13. The Cat Returns

I love Ghibli, but still have a few to go through.  I went to a Ghibli shop in Tokyo earlier in the year and it was amazing and there were so many Totoros.  It was like heaven. I bought a Catbus.  Everyone should have a Catbus.  Yay.

Sorry, I got a bit excited...

drjohnhwatson

Do any of you have those really soft blankets they sell at Hot Topic?  I have a Totoro one, and Howl's Moving Castle one, and I had my eye on a Princess Mononoke one with San and her mother displayed.  It was sold out online, and I went to the mall and Box Lunch had one, but I wanted to see if Hot Topic had it in store as I had some coupons.  I picked up a Yuri on Ice blanket to buy, and there was the Mononoke one underneath it!  So I got both!  I really want the Kiki's Delivery Service one with Jiji and pancakes, but it's sold out right now, I guess....  I also have a Totoro glass, and a Totoro messenger bag.  I had a Totoro purse, but the inside ripped and the zipper came off (it was cheaply made).  Cute, though.  I really want to get some box lunch Totoro stuff because it's cute and has a purpose--like the blankets.  I love to bundle up in them in the winter; they're so soft and warm!

I just watched The Wind Rises and Princess Mononoke a week or so ago.  I hadn't seen Wind before but had Mononoke.  Wind was kind of boring to me; I much preferred watching Mononoke again.  I really love Howl's Moving Castle, though.  So beautiful.  And Spirited Away.  And Totoro is sooo cute, obviously!

I also have some clothing.  I have a Howl's Moving Castle shirt, and a Spirited Away shirt, and I have some Spirited Away socks and a Kiki's Delivery Service pair of lounge pants.  So comfortable but they're wearing out; I think I'm going to ask for some Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and My Neighbour Totoro lounge pants for Christmas to wear!

(Also whenever I went to NYC last spring, I wore my Spirited Away shirt, and whenever I had to go through security to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, this guy working security pointed at me and went "I love your shirt!  That's such a good movie!").

:lol:.

Hermit Advocate

Just one? I can't choose. It's probably a tie between Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke. Grave of the Fireflies breaks my heart. 

Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite, but Grave of the fireflies is one of the saddest movies I have ever seen. :(

I have just watched Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke so far, but I want to watch all of them, the ones I watched so far are great!

Archived