Buzzfeed - What Do You Want People To Know About Being Asexual?

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

29 June 2017

https://www.buzzfeed.com/skarlan/what-do-you-want-people-to-know-about-being-asexual?utm_term=.qpMgmX59A#.cqNVpj4Lg

Asexuality is easily one of the most misunderstood and misrepresented identities in the LGBT community. And it can be frustrating not feeling seen or understood, even within your own community.

We want to hear from you! What do you want people to know about identifying as asexual? What misconceptions are you totally over hearing? Take our survey for the chance to be featured in an upcoming BuzzFeed LGBT post!

straightouttamordor

No offense to LGBT people. Don't misconstrue. But why in Hades are Asexual people lumped together in an Amalgam with the LGBT community ?  I realize that those orientations can be Asexual as well. Not trying to sequester or exclude them. But aren't they for the most part sexual too ?  Does the 1 to 2% numbers apply to those sexual orientations as well ?

I thought you were either Asexual or you're not. Not in a purity litmus test way. I know there's wiggle room on the spectrum. I even saw one Ace on another website claim to be an Asexual nympho sadist. 

I know people who aren't Asexual and inquisitive have to be at the very least confused about this moving goal post. 

embracetheace

Main thing i would like people to understand is that being asexual doesn't mean you are also aromantic. Asexual people can want romantic relationships too. Also, it's not right to label a heteroromantic ace as "straight" unless they're comfortable with it. Many a-specs aren't comfortable being lumped together with people who are sexually attracted to the opposite gender.

LittleGoody2Shoes

I want the world to know that we exist and we are what we are, we deserve respect and acceptance for what we are. It is not part of a mental illness or a medical condition.

Hermit Advocate

I think we need more articles on the differences between sexual and romantic orientations.

1 hour ago, Hey you in the corner said:

I think we need more articles on the differences between sexual and romantic orientations.

I definitely agree. Until I realized I was asexual, I never even knew that there was a difference between sexual and romantic orientations.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a better explanation for how exactly asexuality really works would be good too. I had to tell my husband of 12 years that it has never been him, and yes, I do enjoy occasional sex, but I don't actively seek out sex and really find it annoying anytime I feel horny. Yes, asexuals don't want to have sex, but that doesn't mean that we can't enjoy it when we do have it. We just don't feel like it's imperitave that we have it. Needless to say, it's actually rough being ace and married to a sexual person when you know they are trying to understand and can't quite grasp what it means, but you do want to have a happy marriage.

• 2 months later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

On a government website today, I was asked to give my orientation. After ticking the 'other' button, I expanded on the box underneath with 'aromantic asexual'. That felt good!

Soon, there might actually be a box for that, not an empty box after 'other' ...

Archived