NEW DUOLINGO CLUBS!!! (See OP for Codes)

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
15 minutes ago, Laurann said:

I would actually join a Spanish and/or Italian club if you decide to start those.

I can do that if you guys like too! maybe i'll get back into it :o

njosnavelin

I have been on Turkish. The clubs that I have joined are small and inactive. I eventually leave. 

Dagnabit you and your popular languages. 

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
5 minutes ago, njosnavelin said:

I have been on Turkish. The clubs that I have joined are small and inactive. I eventually leave. 

Dagnabit you and your popular languages. 

I've been on Esperanto & German and the clubs aren't as big there either

By the way, is the translation/immersion feature still a thing on Duolingo? If so, how do I activate it? I remember not being able to find any tab for it (I was subscribed for Spanish and German).

1 hour ago, Piotrek said:

By the way, is the translation/immersion feature still a thing on Duolingo? If so, how do I activate it? I remember not being able to find any tab for it (I was subscribed for Spanish and German).

I just looked it up. It's gone. :(

Guest Invisible Pumpkin
On 22/7/2017 at 11:22 AM, SimplyAce said:

@Yato God of Tofu I have tried recently to learn Spanish and it was soooooooooooo frustrating because my brain wants to go "Where TF are the accents?! Why are you saying every letter?! Why are we rolling and trolling?!?!?!?!?!?! SPANISH QUIT TROLLING ME" ... So i stopped for the time being :lol: I mean I want to learn Spanish, but my chances of becoming fluent in it are very slim to none. I can read it though. It's just frustrating because it's like it is new...but not at the same time :huh:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acentuación_del_idioma_español

https://www.uv.es/ivorra/cosas/acentos.htm

https://campusvirtual.ull.es/ocw/pluginfile.php/4162/mod_resource/content/0/OA_Tilde/reglas_bsicas_palabras_agudas_llanas_esdrjulas_sobresdrjulas.html 

All in Spanish haha!! :D 

I'm interested in someone who I can speak (like skype speak) in English with, I speak Spanish. 

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
Just now, Iam-me said:

SPANISH WHY?!?!?!?! now i am going to sit here and try to verbally pronounce everything!!! Ugh *drops head on desk*

I wouldn't mind helping you at all :)

Guest Invisible Pumpkin
1 minute ago, SimplyAce said:

SPANISH WHY?!?!?!?! now i am going to sit here and try to verbally pronounce everything!!! Ugh *drops head on desk*

I wouldn't mind helping you at all :)

I could try to help you :ph34r:. Although I would need time to search for good links or resource of the topics you don't understand so well,  because it's not common that people can just sit and talk about "agudas, graves, esdrújulas y sobresdrújulas" so casually, unless you in fact teach Spanish to speakers of other languages. 

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
Just now, Iam-me said:

I could try to help you :ph34r:. Although I would need time to search for good links or resource of the topics you don't understand so well,  because it's not common that people can just sit and talk about "agudas, graves, esdrújulas y sobresdrújulas" so casually, unless you in fact teach Spanish to speakers of other languages. 

Any help is appreciated O-O

1 minute ago, ben8884 said:

I joined the French one is there one for German?

Not yet I think. You could make an AVEN German club and post the code here :)

I'll join, I'm going on holidays to the Czech Republic through Germany in a couple of days, so I'm brushing up on my German.

25 minutes ago, ben8884 said:

For French yes. Honestly I am not so active in German 

I'm not usually very interested in German either, but as a Dutch person I sort of feel obligated to be able to speak it? and I will probably need it in the Czech Republic, so I'm trying to teach myself an entire language in a couple of days XD. Wish me luck!

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

@ben8884 cool!!! Mind if i add the club to my original post? 

I consider making an Italian club but I don't understand the point, it doesn't seen like the club feature even lets members talk or share resources,

I don't use duolingo so much now because it is designed for beginners and both the italian and japanese are far too beginner for me

Getting rid of immersion was a big mistake of duolingo, it was the best part of the site for non beginners

I'm in Duolingo's Dutch Facebook group, where myself and another started a Duo Dutch group on skype. That however died, although I have heard a lot of those people moved to Whatsapp.

On 26.07.2017 at 6:52 AM, Ms. Maya the Bee said:

I consider making an Italian club but I don't understand the point, it doesn't seen like the club feature even lets members talk or share resources,

I don't use duolingo so much now because it is designed for beginners and both the italian and japanese are far too beginner for me

Getting rid of immersion was a big mistake of duolingo, it was the best part of the site for non beginners

Wait, you can't do that? So what can you do in those clubs?

I lost interest in DL after completing my Spanish tree, which actually happened really quickly. No surprise, seeing as I had learned Spanish for a few years and only wanted to refresh it.

I never had the opportunity to use the immersion, but it seems like everyone speaks highly of it. Why would DL disable something that was apparently very popular?

Finally cleared enough phone space for DL!

EDIT:Wow the phone app is better...

@Laurann @SimplyAce @Ms. Maya the Bee

Do you know of any YT channels with Spanish and Italian content that use subtitles? I usually have problems with listening comprehension and I don't know how to improve it.

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
4 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

Do you know of any YT channels with Spanish and Italian content that use subtitles? I usually have problems with listening comprehension and I don't know how to improve it.

I am not sure with any including subtitles..... Maybe @Iam-me may know some?

Guest Invisible Pumpkin
5 hours ago, SimplyAce said:

I am not sure with any including subtitles..... Maybe @Iam-me may know some?

I don't know any yet, although I could do a search although it could be good if there is a preferable topic. :P 

19 hours ago, Piotrek said:

I looked through the italian channels I'm subscribed to and the only thing I really got is that the songs on this channel have subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3c8aE_AxIa7wmE-4czGw5w

Not many channels include subtitle options...

Listening comprehension can be tough to learn but I recommend continuing to listen to content in the languages even if you don't fully understand it, just try to pick up on what you can understand

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
7 minutes ago, Ms. Maya the Bee said:

I looked through the italian channels I'm subscribed to and the only thing I really got is that the songs on this channel have subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3c8aE_AxIa7wmE-4czGw5w

Not many channels include subtitle options...

Listening comprehension can be tough to learn but I recommend continuing to listen to content in the languages even if you don't fully understand it, just try to pick up on what you can understand

Thank Maya!

@Piotrek I think @Ms. Maya the Bee and @Iam-me answered your questions :)

Thanks, @Ms. Maya the Bee

The problem is that when the content is solely in the target language you have nothing to check it against. You may have  understood it correctly or misheard something (hence the whole "misheard lyrics" meme on YT :D ) or just be completely "at sea" and you won't know what the correct version is. There are sites like rhinospike.com where people may figure it out for you, btw. (except this one had few users, last time I checked).

I suddenly remembered that you can watch "The Age of Stupid" (a film about global climate change) with Italian subtitles on YT. Someone uploaded it in 15 min chunks. Part 1 can be found here: 

Spoiler

@Iam-me

The topic is not that important at this point. JUst some authentic subtitled audio materials on YT to practice listening comprehension on.

Archived