NEW DUOLINGO CLUBS!!! (See OP for Codes)

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

Well thanks to @Yato God of Tofu getting me into his awesome japanese club, I think it'd be awesome to make Aven language clubs on DL a thing! :D

So I've started an Aven French Duolingo Club called Secret de polichinelle. (The Open Secret Club :P )

The code to join is: H826EB

Just started an Aven Spanish Club!!! (any suggestions for names other than Aven Spanish Club are welcomed too) thanks @Laurann and @Piotrek for the suggestion

The code is: D842MB 

@ben8884 has also started a German DL Club!!!

The code is: D46ZF5

Hope to get it rolling soon so we can all have various language fun together :D

Yay duolingo! 

I won't be super active in this one, because I feel I've kind of passed the level where duolingo is still useful for me in French, but I still joined just because :)

French YouTube channels to check out:

A lot of these have stopped making new videos, but you can still check out their stuff. Some have subtitles, others don't. Some are ridiculously high quality and professional, others not so much. I didn't list them from best to worst, so you're just going to have to check all of them out. Have fun!

Comedy

LGBT/feminism

Other

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
6 minutes ago, Laurann said:

Yay duolingo! 

I won't be super active in this one, because I feel I've kind of passed the level where duolingo is still useful for me in French, but I still joined just because :)

Same here (doing it for giggles and the cute animations) but thanks for joining!! I saw others who wanted to start french or restart it too so now there's a group.

What's your favorite french book? I like L'Inconnu the best as far as plays are concerned. Le Petit Prince will always be the cutest :lol:

Just now, SimplyAce said:

What's your favorite french book? I like L'Inconnu the best as far as plays are concerned.

<<Les Fiancés de l'hiver>> :)

That book always stuck with me because the main character resonated with me a lot. I only found out years later that that was because the main character has a lot of asexual-ish traits. At the time I didn't even know that was a thing yet.

I don't know L'inconnu. A lot of different books with that title pop up when I search for it. Who's it by?

I also really liked <<Le Petit Nicholas>> and <<Oscar et la Dame Rose>>.  Those two are meant for kids, so they're easy to read, and they're (in my opinion) quite interesting and funny. And Le Petit Prince is the best book to just read again in a couple of hours :)  it's just the right amount of strange, magical and cute mixed together.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/74256.Le_Petit_Nicolas?from_search=true

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/120461.Oscar_et_la_dame_rose?from_search=true

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18043539-les-fianc-s-de-l-hiver?from_search=true

Aww, you can't join clubs from desktop!

I have a whole playlist full of French music collected over the years I thought I could share, no particular order:

Spoiler

• Emmanuel Moire
  • Indila
  • Irma
  • Fréro Delavega
  • Maître Gims
  • Mickael Miro
  • Mika
  • Jena Lee
  • Florent Mothe
  • Grégoire
  • Guillaume Grand
  • Joyce Jonathan
  • Keen'v
  • Gaetan Roussel
  • Ben L'oncle Soul
  • Christophe Maé
  • Amel Bent
  • M. Pokora
  • Marc Antoine
  • Renaud
  • Louane
  • Nyco Lilliu
  • Pierrick Lilliu
  • Olivier Dion
  • Ridsa
  • Rod Janois
  • Sidoine
  • Slimane
  • Stromae
  • Tal
  • Tété
  • Willy William
  • Zaz
  • Baptiste Giabiconi
  • Génération Goldman
  • Leslie
  • Zaho
  • Corneille
  • Merwan Rim
  • Caroline Costa
  • Sheryfa Luna
  • Françoise Hardy
  • Les poppys
  • Les Enfoirés
  • Matt Marvane
  • Sexion D'assaut
  • Coeur de Pirate
  • Gérald de Palmas
  • Anoki
  • Nicom
  • Kenza Farah
  • Camille
  • Emma Daumas
  • Judith
  • Emily Lady
  • Elisa Tovati

Personal Faves: Again, no particular order.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

@Laurann OSCAR ET LA DAME ROSE IS SO SUPER CUTE & DEEP!!

I forgot who wrote the play, but it is a <<livre poche>> about an unknown man and Sigmund Freud. I'll have to look back in my french list.

One of my favorite videos aside from "Where Is Brian" :lol:

1 hour ago, BionicPi said:

Aww, you can't join clubs from desktop!

Right? They're supposed to be rolling out access to them from desktop eventually. We're just stuck waiting. :P

21 minutes ago, Cimmerian said:

Right? They're supposed to be rolling out access to them from desktop eventually. We're just stuck waiting. :P

In the meantime, I'm up to 400 xp for French today so I think I'ma switch to something else. Probably Irish first.

17 hours ago, SimplyAce said:

Same here (doing it for giggles and the cute animations) but thanks for joining!! I saw others who wanted to start french or restart it too so now there's a group.

By the way have you tried doing the reverse tree? (Learning English from French) That's a lot more challenging. I tried that with Spanish after I finished the English -> Spanish tree and it helped me get a lot more out of the program than I otherwise would have. Duolingo gives you a lot of crutches. Those are taken away in the reverse tree. Also, all of the comments were in Spanish, so it was easy for me to practice my conversational skills, and I could help some Spanish people speak better English at the same time :)

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
49 minutes ago, Laurann said:

By the way have you tried doing the reverse tree? (Learning English from French) That's a lot more challenging. I tried that with Spanish after I finished the English -> Spanish tree and it helped me get a lot more out of the program than I otherwise would have. Duolingo gives you a lot of crutches. Those are taken away in the reverse tree. Also, all of the comments were in Spanish, so it was easy for me to practice my conversational skills, and I could help some Spanish people speak better English at the same time :)

No i haven't! Thanks for the idea! :D:o

33 minutes ago, Yato God of Tofu said:

I have confirmed that @Laurann never sleeps.

Oh no they found out I am not human *calls to headquarters* "SOS Mars. We have a problem!"

2 minutes ago, Laurann said:

Oh no they found out I am not human *calls to headquarters* "SOS Mars. We have a problem!"

Seriously, how do you do 20k exp a day xD

a8c.jpg

21 minutes ago, Yato God of Tofu said:

Seriously, how do you do 20k exp a day xD

It was only 1k haha, it's because I already knew some Japanese so it was easy to just go through all of the first lessons that teach you basic stuff.

The reason I have 41k xp total spread out across multiple languages is because I've been on duolingo since 2013 :) 

Edit: And my knowledge of Chinese gives me a huge advantage with all of the kanji. I basically already know what they mean, I just need to remember a different pronunciation for each of them.

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
14 minutes ago, Laurann said:

It was only 1k haha, it's because I already knew some Japanese so it was easy to just go through all of the first lessons that teach you basic stuff.

The reason I have 41k xp total spread out across multiple languages is because I've been on duolingo since 2013 :) 

^CHEATER :P

16 minutes ago, SimplyAce said:

^CHEATER :P

This is what I'm doing with French.

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
18 minutes ago, BionicPi said:

This is what I'm doing with French.

^PUMPKIN EATER :mad: ( :P i really don't care so long as you're in the club & encourage others. I've been studying french over 7 years now so i'm doing it for the fun of it :lol: )

Just now, SimplyAce said:

^PUMPKIN EATER :mad: ( :P i really don't care so long as you're in the club)

I will be, as soon as they port their mobile functionality to their browser stuff, or I get a new phone....

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

@Yato God of Tofu I have tried recently to learn Spanish and it was soooooooooooo frustrating because my brain wants to go "Where TF are the accents?! Why are you saying every letter?! Why are we rolling and trolling?!?!?!?!?!?! SPANISH QUIT TROLLING ME" ... So i stopped for the time being :lol: I mean I want to learn Spanish, but my chances of becoming fluent in it are very slim to none. I can read it though. It's just frustrating because it's like it is new...but not at the same time :huh:

WOW, I didn't realize that DL has some sort of group feature. I wonder if there is something for Italian and/or Spanish.

1 minute ago, Piotrek said:

I wonder if there is something for Italian and/or Spanish.

You can make those clubs, I'll join :)

Too many languages you say? Blasphemy! No such thing!

@Laurann

I'm confused. I didn't say anything about "too many languages"?

Just now, Piotrek said:

I'm confused. I didn't say anything about "too many languages"?

Sorry that was my failed attempt at a joke at my own expense :) 

I would actually join a Spanish and/or Italian club if you decide to start those.

Archived