The 'Maverique' Gender Identity

Just Me!

Although it's not the term I'd use if someone asked (I tell people I'm genderqueer and leave it at that), personally I've identified as maverique for a few months now. It's a fairly specific, little-known term and that's why I keep it to myself, but it does encompass everything I feel about gender. 

Does anyone else ID as maverique? Or know anyone who does? A google search only produces images of cars...

Definition: http://gender.wikia.com/wiki/Maverique

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

I don't really know if it'll fit better later on or not, but at the moment I'm still well into my questioning period and I don't feel like a man, woman and don't feel like I'm just "on the spectrum" between them either really. At the moment I'm stuck between bigender and neutrois, I don't know probably neutrois, and starting to think the genderflux bit which I identified with may have had more to do with not being out yet and being so late in questioning or even thinking about gender. Just wanted to let you know cause I can kind of relate to maverique in that I get the feeling of questioning whether you even fit in relation to the binary genders at all ^_^ also I watched a lot of videos from queer as cat who's maverique, in case you're looking for someone on the internet.

"a sense of self that is entirely independent of male/masculinity, female/femininity or anything which derives from the two while still being neither without gender nor of a neutral gender"

What it's defined as is a distinction with no difference from NB, not to mention its own definition falls in on itself at multiple points. No one can be void of masculinity/femininity; those are social constructs that everyone has (whether you view your traits as gendered or not). Plus the bold completely contradicts itself; "neither with nor without gender" isn't possible. What it actually sounds like is that the person identifies as both an atypical man and woman; in the middle ground of both where it looks gender neutral, which is still being both of those. And agender is not being void of gender; you can't be. Its more of a "i don't take sides" term. In my book agender and androgyne are the same term; one just refers to being strongly of both and the other is the gender neutral middle ground of both. Even a culture like the alien species called Gems still has one gender. And on top of that, philosophy is NOT a gender (female). Someone's either a man, a woman, or neither. There's nothing else needed to it. *sigh* cancerous Tumblr literally creating 100 pointless genders (yes i know "queeerascat" created the term, but still).

@Star Bit this thread wasn't created to discuss whether maverique is valid or not, thank you. It wasn't even created to discuss its definition, but to find people with similar experiences.

I came to really like this label, and it fits quite well often enough. I usually try to explain it as "agender, but as a gender". That's how it feels and makes sense to me, but I guess for others that's just more confusing.

I think i edited my post as you were replying, so i bolded the part that can reply to your mention of agender. Agender IS a gender. "Not" gendered doesn't automatically mean without gender; just like a non-feminist isn't nececerily void of feminist values.

1 hour ago, Star Bit said:

"a sense of self that is entirely independent of male/masculinity, female/femininity or anything which derives from the two while still being neither without gender nor of a neutral gender"

What it's defined as is a distinction with no difference from NB, not to mention its own definition falls in on itself at multiple points. No one can be void of masculinity/femininity; those are social constructs that everyone has (whether you view your traits as gendered or not). Plus the bold completely contradicts itself; "neither with nor without gender" isn't possible. What it actually sounds like is that the person identifies as both an atypical man and woman; in the middle ground of both where it looks gender neutral, which is still being both of those. And agender is not being void of gender; you can't be. Its more of a "i don't take sides" term. In my book agender and androgyne are the same term; one just refers to being strongly of both and the other is the gender neutral middle ground of both. Even a culture like the alien species called Gems still has one gender. And on top of that, philosophy is NOT a gender (female). Someone's either a man, a woman, or neither. There's nothing else needed to it. *sigh* cancerous Tumblr literally creating 100 pointless genders (yes i know "queeerascat" created the term, but still).

By your own definitions, maverique is a valid identity.

Exactly like agender, it is an "I don't take sides" term, because it shows no inclination or even regards towards masculinity nor femininity in the identity which it summarises.

However, it recognises that maverique-gendered people are not entirely "void of gender", by maintaining that a maverique person does experience gender.

Does that not meet the criteria you set out? 

In addition- you quoted it as saying "neither with nor without gender"- the actual phrasing "neither without gender nor of a neutral gender", which is entirely possible.

I agree that the wiki article is misleading in places.

1 hour ago, Star Bit said:

Gems are fictional, so the fact that they have gender has no bearing on reality. 

The way that I see it, maverique can also be seen as a way of saying 'there are 7.5 billion gender identities, because every person experiences it in a slightly different way'. It's more to do with "inner conviction" and one's own, personal experience of gender, than the binary and myriad non-binary gender labels that there are.

@Star Bit I still stand by what I said.

55 minutes ago, Finn. said:

"agender, but as a gender". That's how it feels and makes sense to me

To reiterate. That's my view of it. In my book agender does not mean "in the middle of male and female". Me being agender means "I don't experience gender". Me being maverique means "I experience gender". I said "agender, but as a gender" to explain this part of the definition, as it usually confuses a lot of people: 

It is independent of the entire concept of the gender binary

because, agender like maverique feel the same to me, completely removed from the gender binary. agender in a genderless way, maverique in a gendered way. 

nanogretchen4

Looking at this purely hypothetically, basically from a science fiction standpoint, it is completely possible to have a gender that has nothing to do with masculinity or femininity while still being an actual gender. For example, you could have a species with three physical sexes and three genders. The human gender binary would be simply inapplicable to them. If they met humans for the first time they would have no reason to identify with human genders or gender roles at all, even if humans might try to superimpose notions of masculinity or femininity on them. I wrote a story with aliens whose mode of reproduction is modeled on paramecia. When they get too large they divide into two identical organisms, but they introduce genetic variation by periodically swapping some of their genes with a member of the opposite sex, which is necessary to halt the aging process. They had two sexes, but neither sex was closer to male or female reproductive roles than the other. They had very defined gender roles that were entirely unrelated to masculinity or femininity. So I'm just saying, it's not logically contradictory to say that a gender can be completely off the masculine-feminine spectrum without being agender.

I don't really identify with it myself but ay, if it works for some folx then have at it. ^_^

AVEN #1 fan

I see gender identities as boxes,  when you don't fit these ore established boxes , you can either accept you're genderless or Create your own box, and that's what maverique people do.

18 hours ago, SimplyAce said:

*waves*

*waves back*

May I ask the meaning of 'kaigendered'?

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
12 minutes ago, Just Me, Myself and...Zie? said:

May I ask the meaning of 'kaigendered'?

Hahaha sure. It's what my friends use to remember the prounouns. I usually just say maverique or nonbinary (because sometimes explaining more than nonbinary is a lost cause).

Nice to meet ya :)

I stole the kaigendered term from @SimplyAce because i love the meaning of it :D (SA is awesome btw)

10 hours ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

I see gender identities as boxes,  when you don't fit these ore established boxes , you can either accept you're genderless or Create your own box, and that's what maverique people do.

I don't see gender identities as boxes though but i like the idea behind the create your own box you just mentioned^_^ 

I decided to create my own too..Fabulous gentleman :P 

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
10 minutes ago, Jayce said:

I stole the kaigendered term from @SimplyAce because i love the meaning of it :D (SA is awesome btw)

Awwweee thanks Jayce. (And might i say Jayce is one devilishly handsome, fabulous gentlemen 

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
1 hour ago, Jayce said:

SA IS awesome indeed!

I like the term Kaigender,too!

1 hour ago, SimplyAce said:

Awwweee thanks Jayce. (And might i say Jayce is one devilishly handsome, fabulous gentlemen 

I also agree! Jayce is  devilishly handsome and fabulous 👍

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
1 minute ago, Jayce said:

Aww! :blush: 

*Hugs* :)

AVEN #1 fan
5 hours ago, Jayce said:

I don't see gender identities as boxes though but i like the idea behind the create your own box you just mentioned^_^ 

I decided to create my own too..Fabulous gentleman :P 

Yeah... Tumblr maverique genders are the best genders lol.

• 2 months later...
The_Reluctant_Dragon

So maverique people feel they aren’t male, female, both, all, many, or none. Wow, how cool! I can definitely relate to maverique people, since I have felt a bit this way, my gender is very weird. But, that is cool that people can identify this way.

Well I'm multigender, but one of them is maverique so hi

On 9/29/2017 at 10:10 PM, Nylocke said:

I heard of this from a youtuber named Vesper (:

as far as I know Vesper / QueerAsCat (channel on youtube) coined the term :)

I still don't understand it... but it's you, so you can do whatever you want. The question is, how would you like me to call yourself as in pronouns. Is that even an issue that you experience or is it just whatever because you don't care?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 4:33 PM, Leolith said:

as far as I know Vesper / QueerAsCat (channel on youtube) coined the term :)

Yea that's them, I subscribe to their channel (;

• 7 months later...
Artsy Anvil

I’m maverique too! *waves from a far distance* Good to know there’s more of us!

• 2 weeks later...
Celyn: The Lutening

Is it weird that I would totally identify this way if the "ique" suffix didn't sound so feminine?

Archived