Discrimination by religious people/groups

Alexandmb

6 hours ago, SimplyAce said:

@vega57 tbh (speaking as a Christian but not Catholic) there are many things the bible says that really are simple guidelines, giving examples (some outdated but the underlying "moral of the story" is the same) of what went right & what went wrong.....  But humans have messed it up & taken it out of context numerous times over the course of history. 

I mean are there parts I don't think apply currently? Yes because time & culture changes,but the underlying life lessons still matter. And as long as those life lessons (ie Wisdom, Knowledge, Understanding, Agape Love, Self-Reflection, Self-love, etc) are being recognized & applied to one's own life & how one treat others, then things will go much more smoothly....  At least as far as growing spiritually is concerned.

It's actually kinda heartbreaking how many of the people i talk to are surprised I'm talking to them because of me being religious. I have the best of friends who were surprised i wasn't constantly pushing their "faults" in their faces. Why tf would i do that? That's not my job. My job is treat you like i would want to be treated. If you can respect that i am religious, then i can respect that you aren't and/or of a different faith than me. But just like i am not shoving "my religion" down your throat, then don't try to shove your disbelief down mine or make me think i am wrong or can't coexist with you JUST because I am Christian. (Which i have had people do)

BINGO!  And that's the 'crux', isn't it?  There are 3 rules I try to live by:

1.  Love God

2.  Love my neighbor as myself

3.  Do unto others...

Jesus summed up the ENTIRE BIBLE with those precepts.  Unfortunately, many people have no idea how to apply them. 

1 hour ago, Yato God of Tofu said:

I don't really consider ignorance discrimination, since discrimination requires understanding. So no not really. 

Discrimination does NOT require understanding.  Children discriminate.  They often have no idea why.  They're ignorant.  Uneducated.  People discriminate because of ignorance. 

Priests don't have sex, because sex is temptation.

No.  Priests don't have sex because they have renounced it for the kingdom of God.  Since having sex requires doing so within the confines of marriage, they would have to be more concerned with their wives, and they wouldn't be able to devote as much time to God. 

It's the same reason they don't allow for masturbation. Learning to resist temptation, and suffering through it, is the whole point.

The bible is actually silent on masturbation, but it does speak a lot about exercising self-control.  Lust and impure thoughts can lead to masturbation...which can lead to more masturbation...which can lead to more lust...which can lead to more masturbation...which can lead to other temptations. 

Asexuals kind of have a "cheat code" for that. So it makes the entire experience seem unfair.  

Not quite sure what you mean....

SorryNotSorry

As I understand it, discrimination by various religions is about what you are as much as what you do. To them, you don't even have to actively do anything to sin, just be born with genes that give you traits these religions find objectionable. Oh sure, you can become a congregant, but your blood won't be considered to be as red as that of a congregant who doesn't have an objectionable genetic trait.

Yet some of us still continue to cherish these religious traditions because, well... it would be sacrilege to become apostate. And who (other than me) doesn't want to get into Heaven?

banana monkey
On 16/07/2017 at 2:31 AM, vega57 said:

As for eating pork, Christians believe more in the New Testament and therefore, eating pork is o.k. 

Maybe PM me so it doesnt derail the thread, I know that the new testament superseeds the old but I've always been interested to know how the new testament makes eating pork ok. I've never found the reference. 

SithAzathoth WinterDragon
On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 3:19 PM, SimplyAce said:

What?! :o

I've been told that i am a sinner for not wanting to procreate.

Same and that I'll "burn" for not following a "faith" that only lead to darkness, by 9 I found a far better path. All the 1 goded faiths I explored secretly through my younger years lead me down to darkness. I was playing DnD the other night and a coworker knew of asexuality. Overall I've only told a few believers of who I am, I never told them why at such a young age why I left the faith they follow. Ionly saw evil in the religions I explored and nothing good as those who forced me to follow the first one.

• 9 months later...
ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø
On 7/15/2017 at 3:12 PM, vega57 said:

I am a Christian.  All I can say is what the bible says.  I do not believe that NOT having sex (even in marriage) is "anti-natural".   In fact, chastity is virtuous. 

As for God's intention for people to populate, God knew ahead of time that SOME people wouldn't be able to populate, and that SOME people would have no interest in marriage/children.  It's not a 'sin' to not want to. 

I have a different view of sexuality than many Christians do. 

I respect you.

• 2 weeks later...
SorryNotSorry

In the US, at least, religious organizations are private, and are free to snub whomever their members decide they don't like.

No. My family is Christian but they have a viewpoint of "It's my personal religious belief and I shouldn't force my beliefs onto others" type of motto... As in, they're against stuff like gay marriage but wouldn't harm or insult anyone whom are gay because of it.

FaerieFate

I'm a Christian that was yelled at and told I was going to hell by another Christian. (You know the type, the type that points at people and tells them they're going to hell for some arbitrary reason). They said we're all going to hell for going to college because college encourages promiscuity, alcoholism, and drugs. And I tried to prove him wrong using the bible. Then he said I was going to hell for not being a subservient woman. Then I had to leave because he said something about Muslims, and I didn't want to go to jail for assault.

Archived