Discrimination by religious people/groups

Alexandmb

Have you suffered any kind of discrimination by these people before? I don't, but I have read about many people who are discriminated by christians, those telling them that is anti-natural and contradict God's precepts. And according to them God sent people to populate this world. 

Do you have that problem? 

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

*TRIGGER WARNING* I'vebeen told to kill myself before by people who thought I was weird and un- natural. My only response was that I am who  I am, and that I'll never be sexual just to satisfy their wants. 

15 minutes ago, Alexandmb said:

Have you suffered any kind of discrimination by these people before? I don't, but I have read about many people who are discriminated by christians, those telling them that is anti-natural and contradict God's precepts. And according to them God sent people to populate this world. 

Do you have that problem? 

I am a Christian.  All I can say is what the bible says.  I do not believe that NOT having sex (even in marriage) is "anti-natural".   In fact, chastity is virtuous. 

As for God's intention for people to populate, God knew ahead of time that SOME people wouldn't be able to populate, and that SOME people would have no interest in marriage/children.  It's not a 'sin' to not want to. 

I have a different view of sexuality than many Christians do. 

banana monkey

This thread makes me question what is insulting. I mean, I realise some responses are vile and downright horrid and disrespectful but how far does airing your beliefs with freedom of speech go before it becomes insulting? Sometimes I feel like the world has just got to a point when to believe in any religion is considered insulting to one group or another. One day I hope there is a world where we can all be able to discuss and debate our beliefs in a civil and respectful manner. It makes me feel hypocritical to be christian and asexual which is just unfair and horrible in itself. Some times I find it hard to be part of this community because I feel I need to keep quiet about some of my strong christian views. 

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
2 minutes ago, Shieldmaiden WinterDragon said:

*TRIGGER WARNING* I'vebeen told to kill myself before by people who thought I was weird and un- natural. My only response was that I am who  I am, and that I'll never be sexual just to satisfy their wants. 

What?! :o

I've been told that i am a sinner for not wanting to procreate.

arekathevampyre
3 minutes ago, SimplyAce said:

What?! :o

I've been told that i am a sinner for not wanting to procreate.

This is just upsetting . Then again , who are they to judge . I mean God/whichever religion you believe in don't/won't even judge you so who are they to say :evil:

40 minutes ago, vega57 said:

I am a Christian.  All I can say is what the bible says.  I do not believe that NOT having sex (even in marriage) is "anti-natural".   In fact, chastity is virtuous. 

As for God's intention for people to populate, God knew ahead of time that SOME people wouldn't be able to populate, and that SOME people would have no interest in marriage/children.  It's not a 'sin' to not want to. 

Well your point sounds respectable. But in words of my grandma... I mean I've told her I'll never going to get married and she took that too personally,  like a blasphemy.  She said I must get married because it is what God wants for all of us and have children because they're a bless.

My great grandparents, the only ones alive, decided they didn't want to ever meet me when my parents had me because we didn't go to the same church. Now my great granddad is dead and apparently my great grandma realised she's never met us before. There's going to be a big family reunion this summer, but my famiy can't make it.

arekathevampyre
3 minutes ago, QuirkyGeek said:

My great grandparents, the only ones alive, decided they didn't want to ever meet me when my parents had me because we didn't go to the same church. Now my great granddad is dead and apparently my great grandma realised she's never met us before. There's going to be a big family reunion this summer, but my famiy can't make it.

oh dear . Is there any way your family can make up for it , like through skype or facetime video messaging ? 

5 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

oh dear . Is there any way your family can make up for it , like through skype or facetime video messaging ? 

I don't know. My parents are completely out of touch with her. We only knew there was a family reunion because our Grandma told us.

33 minutes ago, Alexandmb said:

Well your point sounds respectable. But in words of my grandma... I mean I've told her I'll never going to get married and she took that too personally,  like a blasphemy.  She said I must get married because it is what God wants for all of us and have children because they're a bless.

If I had to guess, I'd probably say that your grandmother probably didn't actually read the bible.  If she did, she didn't read it or interpret it correctly.  It's not easy to interpret, as bible scholars argue about its meaning every day. 

Even Jesus said that not everyone was "capable" of marriage.  The word "capable" wasn't even a word when the book was written.  But the word that was used has been translated and interpreted to mean "capable".  Think about the word "gay" for a moment.  Today, it means "homosexuality".  Three hundred years ago, it meant "happy".  Since the bible was written in different languages and different dialects, it's very possible that what we are interpreting TODAY meant something completely different 2000+ years ago. 

arekathevampyre
9 minutes ago, QuirkyGeek said:

I don't know. My parents are completely out of touch with her. We only knew there was a family reunion because our Grandma told us.

oh no . Let's just hope it all work out okay ?

*sending you some hugs here*

AVEN #1 fan
1 hour ago, vega57 said:

Chastity is just "virtuous" bc the feudal Christian church ned an excuse to stop the clerics from having kids and keeping church money for their families.  the church only wanted their property, and yeah many churches still only want that.

Everything the church says is based in political-socio-historical context... like when they say don't eat pork,  guess why ? Because in ancient times pork meat wasn't as clean as today and eating it was literally deadly by the time.

2 hours ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Chastity is just "virtuous" bc the feudal Christian church ned an excuse to stop the clerics from having kids and keeping church money for their families.  the church only wanted their property, and yeah many churches still only want that.

Everything the church says is based in political-socio-historical context... like when they say don't eat pork,  guess why ? Because in ancient times pork meat wasn't as clean as today and eating it was literally deadly by the time.

Chastity is "virtuous" because the bible SAYS it is.  In many different places. 

As for eating pork, Christians believe more in the New Testament and therefore, eating pork is o.k. 

AVEN #1 fan
Just now, vega57 said:

As for eating pork, Christians believe more in the New Testament and therefore, eating pork is o.k. 

The bible says a lot of stuff.... I'm not gonna talk about how it's influenced by the interests of who wrote and intemperate it and nor how the context makes a difference.

I'm leaving.

Matthew 7:1-3King James Version (KJV)

7 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

I kind of find it funny that the bible is basically about loving everyone and not judging anyone, yet people do the exact opposite and then use the bible to justify their actions, ignoring all the other things in the bible.

The bible kind of contradicts itself and I'm all for people believing in whatever they want to, just have some common sense honestly and stay out of other people's lives, it's that simple.

36 minutes ago, sleep said:

Matthew 7:1-3King James Version (KJV)

7 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

I kind of find it funny that the bible is basically about loving everyone and not judging anyone, yet people do the exact opposite and then use the bible to justify their actions, ignoring all the other things in the bible.

The bible kind of contradicts itself and I'm all for people believing in whatever they want to, just have some common sense honestly and stay out of other people's lives, it's that simple.

The bible does NOT contradict itself.  It's because people who read it don't study it for understanding, that they believe it contradicts itself. 

As for judgment, have you read EVERY passage about judgment?  We are warned about judgment because we judge wrongly...with no facts and no heart.   And that IS in the bible. 

2 minutes ago, vega57 said:

The bible does NOT contradict itself.  It's because people who read it don't study it for understanding, that they believe it contradicts itself. 

As for judgment, have you read EVERY passage about judgment?  We are warned about judgment because we judge wrongly...with no facts and no heart.   And that IS in the bible. 

nope I never read the bible I just like to quote it from online and pretend I know what I'm talking about hahaha xoxoxx

not even sarcasm, sorry lol.

22 minutes ago, sleep said:

nope I never read the bible I just like to quote it from online and pretend I know what I'm talking about hahaha xoxoxx

not even sarcasm, sorry lol.

Well, I'll tell ya...I HAVE read the bible.  From cover to cover.  Started on December 15, 2016 and wanted to get through it in a year.  I finished on July 1, 2017. 

What struck me most, about it is how many people will quote a few scriptures without quoting ALL of them.  Plus, there's a lot in there that people don't seem to realize. 

But I'll tell ya again.  After reading it I was able to also read the article about 700 supposed bible contradictions...

...and overthrow every.  single.  one. 

Just to give you a hint...the sexuals would be very disappointed if they read the whole thing and REALLY understood it....

2 minutes ago, vega57 said:

Well, I'll tell ya...I HAVE read the bible.  From cover to cover.  Started on December 15, 2016 and wanted to get through it in a year.  I finished on July 1, 2017. 

What struck me most, about it is how many people will quote a few scriptures without quoting ALL of them.  Plus, there's a lot in there that people don't seem to realize. 

But I'll tell ya again.  After reading it I was able to also read the article about 700 supposed bible contradictions...

Well I am glad there are people out there like you to educate is silly people misquoting things.

Maybe I am wrong, most likely I am wrong, I just thought the bible preached love, Gods love..

AVEN #1 fan
Just now, vega57 said:

Yeah, remember when the bible says we should not murder but then the chirstians church promoted the crusades that killed lots of people, you know. .. bc god wanted that way. The same way the Muslim god wants everybody who is not a Muslim dead. How lovely these books are.

I keep to myself about asexuality. My brother outed me probably in 2012 to my Catholic mother but she ignores everything not normal about me so I guess I'm lucky for that.

I grew up in a very strict church, and my parents haven't let me go for about three years now. I haven't told anyone in the church about being asexual, so I'm not sure how they'd react to me being asexual...

5 hours ago, banana monkey said:

This thread makes me question what is insulting. I mean, I realise some responses are vile and downright horrid and disrespectful but how far does airing your beliefs with freedom of speech go before it becomes insulting? Sometimes I feel like the world has just got to a point when to believe in any religion is considered insulting to one group or another. One day I hope there is a world where we can all be able to discuss and debate our beliefs in a civil and respectful manner. It makes me feel hypocritical to be christian and asexual which is just unfair and horrible in itself. Some times I find it hard to be part of this community because I feel I need to keep quiet about some of my strong christian views. 

I think the issue is sometimes people use religion as an excuse to dictate lifestyles to other people.

1 hour ago, vega57 said:

Why should women in marriage have lots of children? The mortality rate in Demographic Transition Stage One societies is so high that really high birth rate is the only way to keep the population stable.

Being chaste before marriage reduces the likelihood of a succession crisis. There are reasons why these things are said in a book.

49 minutes ago, sleep said:

Well I am glad there are people out there like you to educate is silly people misquoting things.

Maybe I am wrong, most likely I am wrong, I just thought the bible preached love, Gods love..

The bible DOES preach love.  But it also preaches wisdom,,,,,which many people lack. 

50 minutes ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Yeah, remember when the bible says we should not murder but then the chirstians church promoted the crusades that killed lots of people, you know. .. bc god wanted that way. The same way the Muslim god wants everybody who is not a Muslim dead. How lovely these books are.

Ever heard of "justifiable homicide?" 

1 hour ago, Saesha said:

I keep to myself about asexuality. My brother outed me probably in 2012 to my Catholic mother but she ignores everything not normal about me so I guess I'm lucky for that.

What is there to "out"?  You don't want to have sex, especially arbitrary sex.  Sex for just the sake of sex.  What is WRONG with THAT?    (I mean, what is wrong with not wanting sex for the sake of sex)

Nothing. 

Don't forget...*I'M* Catholic, too.  So is my mother.  She was raised in the 1950s and SHE acknowledges that sex is a CHOICE; NOT an "obligation".  Trust me when I tell you, that there were many clerics who tried to tell her otherwise.  And she ran CIRCLES around these guys...

45 minutes ago, QuirkyGeek said:

I grew up in a very strict church, and my parents haven't let me go for about three years now. I haven't told anyone in the church about being asexual, so I'm not sure how they'd react to me being asexual...

Does it really matter?  You are, WHO you are.  Your sexuality belongs to YOU, ONLY you and no one else BUT you.  It's between YOU and GOD, and NOBODY has ANY right to tell you otherwise.

Have you read the bible?  If not, I recommend reading it from cover to cover.  Seriously, if you do, you will be amazed at the misinterpretations you will read.  If you read it and actuay STUDY it, you'll be armed against people who try to judge you and tell you're "wrong" for  being asexual. 

Damn... I'm about to bite my tongue off......lol.... 

AVEN #1 fan
Just now, vega57 said:

Ever heard of "justifiable homicide?" 

It's never justifiable,  you are just giving extremist Muslims the right  to kill you for not being an extremist Muslim.

It's like giving the jews the right to kill Jesus.

Giving Hitler the right to kill jews , gypsis , gays and Trans.

You know , these people had their justifications to do what they wanted to.

And yeah I'm pretty sure the bibles says does not murder or judge and it's all in vain, religious people still do it.

Archived