Rule Regarding Links Is Added to ToS

Lady Girl

38 minutes ago, G0D said:

So.... You are planning to ban whole sites, and not just a link that is bad? I mean I can see the point in banning a link but banning a whole site because of one post? I wonder... I wonder who that is aimed at.. 

SapphireDalvai is correct, the intent is not to block every single site that has bullying/harassing/antagonizing content, just ones that have proven to target our specific members in a pointed way.

I am sorry you don't have confidence in this rule or the admods who will be ensuring it is adhered to. If you ever come across and instance wherein you feel it is being unfairly applied, I encourage you to reach out to admods. If you don't feel as though admods themselves are misusing this clause, you can reach out to the Project Team or Declass Team to have them look into the issue from a more distanced view.

Hope that helps :)

2 hours ago, G0D said:

So.... You are planning to ban whole sites, and not just a link that is bad? I mean I can see the point in banning a link but banning a whole site because of one post? I wonder... I wonder who that is aimed at.. 

Not over one link. If we banned sites over one link of bad content, we would have to ban links to AVEN.

But, say I make a blog SerranFeedback on Tumblr. In this, 90% of content is insults of a personal and cruel nature. 10% is puppy pictures, with a clear link to the top of the page to the negative content and the puppy is just click bait. Previously, our rules were fuzzy on if we could stop this being linked, even though intention would be clear.

9 hours ago, G0D said:

What the others said..but frankly, I don't think the admods are going to ban the interwebs too :D just the ones that are specifically made to say "Serran is stupid" or just to bully Serran in general so it wont harm Serran's personal security as an AVEN member. 

Ah, I found it. Took some digging, but thankfully not too much.

This new policy I feel like has some similarities to the following thread about AVEN's community links. Not all, of course.

Link: http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/78487-community-link-forum/

But specifically this part, the fourth bullet. Bolding is mine for clarification.

The site must be free of destructive language, misrepresentation of asexuality, personal attacks towards members, identity policing (denying the identity of an individual or group based on behaviour, preference, or other criteria) and/or the breach or encouraging to breach of any laws. Again the link will be removed if that is the case.

In a way, I feel this relates to that. So the fact that it has been in that thread for 5 years shows that some sites display this since it happens from time to time.

deactivated account

why is this rule? do people often insult members on another site and send a link to it on here?
Say... if it was on facebook/instagram/skype......... you'd ban those sites?

soo if it was a smaller site. a few posts get lost less easily and can be made bigger than necessary because of the size. you'd ban those sites?

possible size discrimination to take into consideration?

Can i just say about the ToS <- i think that's very important (and that's ToS for any site.) If it encourages "harassment, bulling or otherwise antagonising" behaviour. Sure. it's a bad site. it even says in the rules. (Sorry, can anyone give me an example of a site like that that AVEN should be concerned about? because i have no idea..)

But if the ToS doesn't encourage that. and Discourages it. Then the right thing to do would be to see the ToS, see the link, and if it breaks the ToS of the site in question... Get in contact with the Site admins and explain there are posts violating ToS. That should clear up things.

I don't see why you'd ban whole sites because of one or two members. being a nuisance... people would have to read the future to 100% stop that kind of behaviour before it happens on sites. I certainly don't encourage harassment, bulling or anything awful like that

I'm just going to quote @Sally

Is all this a good example of AVEN members' ability to turn a rather simple small block of wood into a huge pile of splinters and question each splinter, or I just too impatient?

deactivated account
5 minutes ago, SapphireDelvai said:

I'm just going to quote @Sally

it's just very vague. and really random. I'm inclined to think there's a group of people going around linking people they don't like here to mean stuff on other sites. it's just...... odd

deactivated account

also it doesn't suggest any type of communication with the site in question would go on. It'd be a real shame if one person said something mean, the site couldn't sort it in time and all of a sudden it's banned.

It's a good concern to have i think

deactivated account
13 minutes ago, SapphireDelvai said:

i wonder how long we can continue to beat around the bush

what do you mean by that....

23 hours ago, skıt said:

Are links from any sites currently banned?

Nope. Nothing is banned yet.

And for what it's worth, for me personally, as one individual mod, there is not currently any sites that should be banned with this new rule.

23 hours ago, skıt said:

If a site is banned will that be announced so people know not to post them?

This is a great question, I'll be sure to bring it up with the other admods to see what we should do to alert the public to which sites they shouldn't be linking to.

23 hours ago, skıt said:

Questions:

Are links from any sites currently banned?

If a site is banned will that be announced so people know not to post them?

Just quoting this because i was going to ask the same thing, if there aren't any "hate sites"

listed yet, then why the annoucement? Isn't that a bit like jumping the gun? Just asking because i'm sure many others might have the same question.

Clumsy Fairy
Just now, Jayce said:

Just quoting this because i was going to ask the same thing, if there aren't any "hate sites"

listed yet, then why the annoucement? Isn't that a bit like jumping the gun? Just asking because i'm sure many others might have the same question.

I would say it is something a kin to sabre rattling... Some sites need to be told "look we have the tools to block you, so do as we tell you, or we will block you". 

It will be interesting if entire sites get banned and it never get announced because I believe it will be the first rule you can break without having any chance to know you are breaking it beforehand. 

7 minutes ago, Jayce said:

Well, admods can't retroactively apply a rule, so it's best to get rules such as this out before any incidents occur. It's also to let members know that we now hold this policy so they know to be aware of that while posting.

5 minutes ago, G0D said:

I would say it is something a kin to sabre rattling... Some sites need to be told "look we have the tools to block you, so do as we tell you, or we will block you".

No, it's not aimed at any site or member in particular. It's just for all members to be aware that they should keep this in mind when posting.

2 minutes ago, skıt said:

It will be interesting if entire sites get banned and it never get announced because I believe it will be the first rule you can break without having any chance to know you are breaking it beforehand. 

I fully agree with you here, it's absolutely not fair to just ban sites without letting people know. Thanks for bringing it up :)

9 minutes ago, G0D said:

Exactly, but wich sites is what i personally wonder? I'd personally prefer to keep the tools in the toolbox if there is no need to take them out.

6 minutes ago, skıt said:

Good that you brought this up, maybe something for the team to discuss? Because it would be odd if entire sites get banned before they even pop up on here.

@Puck thanks for your input on this! 

On 15/07/2017 at 4:55 PM, AndyAce said:

Say... if it was on facebook/instagram/skype......... you'd ban those sites?

I think in those cases it'd be a ban on the specific pages/groups - for example, if someone made a facebook group that they used to say horrible things about AVEN members, we'd ban links to that particular group, but not to facebook as a whole.

Clumsy Fairy

But if someone posts something naughty on as-ns.net then well.... Lets not avoid the bush by beating round it... It's g'd night, and a big CLUNK as it get's a big -=BANNED=- stamp. 

Well yes, if you use that site to publicly say nasty things about people, it seems perfectly reasonable to say that people aren't allowed to link to it. Forums aren't like facebook/instagram etc where you have a huge variety of self-contained groups/communities, they're a community of their own, and are more like a specific facebook group than they are like facebook as a whole. 

I think a list of banned sites is needed, members need to know where they're close at. 

Wich site is banned and why? That's all that matters, members need honesty just as much as they need rules.I think the team needs to clarify.

12 minutes ago, Jayce said:

I think a list of banned sites is needed, members need to know where they're close at. 

Wich site is banned and why? That's all that matters, members need honesty just as much as they need rules.I think the team needs to clarify.

There are no sites currently banned. I've already brought up with admods that we need to have a way to tell members what sites if any get banned, but right now, none are.

6 hours ago, skıt said:

I believe it will be the first rule you can break without having any chance to know you are breaking it beforehand. 

Haha! That's funny for so many ironic reasons :P

And I'd link some sites and pages that are designed specifically to bitch about AVEN and its members as an example of the sites I know for a fact would get you banned.. however I actually do know that would get me banned :P This rule is a lot more clear-cut than some of the others that will get you a warn and a temp ban!

WünderBâhr

Banned members were listed (havent really checked to see if that still happens). I don't see a list of banned sites as being any different than that, so it's likely doable.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

There are other  sites created because AVEN as many restrictions on how members can post about others, the members of the other sites usually share what they posted or what others have posted. I think the new add to TOS will be beneficial rather than cause more problems. 

57 minutes ago, Shieldmaiden WinterDragon said:

There are other  sites created because AVEN as many restrictions on how members can post about others, the members of the other sites usually share what they posted or what others have posted. I think the new add to TOS will be beneficial rather than cause more problems. 

IMO i assume people are able to use their common sense when posting stuff on AVEN. I've been on this site for more then 2 years, never sugarcoat my opinions and i've only got a nudge at highest from back in 2015 so that statement doesn't really make sense to me.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon
1 minute ago, Jayce said:

IMO i assume people are able to use their common sense when posting stuff on AVEN. I've been on this site for more then 3 years, never sugarcoat my opinions and i've only got a nudge at highest from back in 2015 so that statement doesn't really make sense to me.

I've seen posts from other members who share what they found on others and share it or they share it from here to the other site. 

Clumsy Fairy

Hey Shieldy... Long time no see... 

We all know what the end result will be.. It's not like AVEN just thought of this on a whim. 

Clumsy Fairy
17 hours ago, SapphireDelvai said:

If you have something to say Mallow, say it. No need to be passive-aggressive :)

Yeah like that usually goes well for the person saying it. It's kinda why we invented the "other" site, so one can speak freely without an army of people hitting the "report" button. Oh wait, will that be the next thing? A report button for posts on other sites? 

Archived