Trans Musings & Rantings

On 9/22/2019 at 8:16 AM, Just Dani said:

Oh, dear lord... 

The horrors of summer camp... 😱

I can only recall going to a camp in 5th grade for a week.  Everyone got one minute to shower, and that's with a swimsuit on.  I'm not sure how we had time for anything.

• Like 1

Ah, the joy of summer camp. I remember that small, smelly changing room crammed with teenagers and the torn, muddy wetsuits we had to change into. Then the way too small number of showers in that same room (no stalls either) and the need to change out of your swimsuit. That said, the activities were pretty decent if you don't mind scratching and bruising. I remember my whole purple forearm after 'archery combat' (the kind where you shoot at each other with blunt foam-headed arrows) and scraping my hands on jagged rocks to get out on the sea and jump back in from unreasonable heights. Then the jellyfish fight. Fun times. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

I can only recall going to a camp in 5th grade for a week.  Everyone got one minute to shower, and that's with a swimsuit on.  I'm not sure how we had time for anything.

One minute to shower with a bunch of kids is still one minute too long for me. And having a swimsuit on wouldn't help matters... 😑

On 9/24/2019 at 6:26 PM, Just Dani said:

One minute to shower with a bunch of kids is still one minute too long for me. And having a swimsuit on wouldn't help matters... 😑

Same here.

I always waited until everyone was done showering to be alone.

Then for some reason I had a tendency to hum in the showers at summer camp for whatever reason.

On 9/25/2019 at 9:42 PM, Member114264 said:

Same here.

I always waited until everyone was done showering to be alone.

Then for some reason I had a tendency to hum in the showers at summer camp for whatever reason.

Well, we didn't have a choice there.  Everyone was just going in the showers at the same time.  Find a shower head.  Your minute starts now.  You goof off, you lost that minute.  Thankfully, or not, I didn't have friends.

• Like 2
On 9/27/2019 at 6:53 PM, nerdperson777 said:

Well, we didn't have a choice there.  Everyone was just going in the showers at the same time.  Find a shower head.  Your minute starts now.  You goof off, you lost that minute.  Thankfully, or not, I didn't have friends.

Ouch.

(tag me instead please)

Ugh, why do people make a big deal when they see me enter the restroom?

This is why I rather go when there's no one. I always feel awkward going there. I know what the situation looks like because of my appearance.

I knew this could happen when I decided for change.

I should be glad I wasn't asked or stopped from going in. 

However, do you really have to laugh that hard and so much?

They just kept laughing and gossiping why a .... is at the ..... restroom and talking about restrooms the whole time I was there.

I'm not happy either to share this restroom with you all!

EDIT:

People don't know what they want either. I get stares from using both restrooms.

Am I asking too much for able to go and do my business in peace?

• Like 2
Celyn: The Lutening

At my work we have two gender neutral bathrooms with toilet and sink in each, then another door labelled "female" which leads into a bathroom with two more stalls but above those stalls are 2 more "all gender" signs!

It's super weird. There are sanitary bins in all of them.

In my previous workplace, the bathrooms were either "boys", "girls" or "staff". Ah yes, the three genders. I am a staff.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Celyn said:

At my work we have two gender neutral bathrooms with toilet and sink in each, then another door labelled "female" which leads into a bathroom with two more stalls but above those stalls are 2 more "all gender" signs!

Unusual but I seem to like that set-up, The idea of Bathroom symbols that only covers the actual sex and internal bathrooms that cover any gender.  The separation of Sex and Gender of any Public and Private bathrooms seem long overdue and feels the most common sense to me.  A bathroom within a bathroom so to speak.

In the end though a toilet is just a toilet, with sudden and drastic urges, I'm not thinking about toilet social politics, as long as it works.

• Like 1
nerdperson777
On 9/30/2019 at 9:15 AM, Celyn said:

In my previous workplace, the bathrooms were either "boys", "girls" or "staff". Ah yes, the three genders. I am a staff.

One day I was at Mod Pizza and I went to go wash my hands while they were baking my pizza.  There was neutral and female bathrooms.  Then my two roommates went on a road trip where there was only neutral and male.  They just looked at each other because neither of them were male or even close to a masculine gender.

I saw a post the other day, someone asked "did you want a boy or a girl?"  Some mom looking person said "I wanted a back rub."  Back rub is the third gender.  The other day I went to the DMV with a roommate and I can't remember exactly what was the door I saw between the male and female bathrooms.  I think it was a janitor storage room or an emergency exit.  My roommate has to retake the written test so I will probably go back and see what the third door was.

• Like 3
ElasticPlanet
On 9/30/2019 at 5:15 PM, Celyn said:

gender neutral bathrooms with toilet and sink in each, then another door labelled "female" which leads into a bathroom with two more stalls but above those stalls are 2 more "all gender" signs!

🙄😯😯😮😮😵 How is that supposed to work? I'm read as male, so I always use the male ones if there isn't specifically an all-genders one that I can see. If these toilets are hidden away like you say, I wouldn't even know about them unless someone told me, and I wouldn't be that comfortable going in there even if I did know!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Phoenix the II said:

TFW in casual conversation family members still deadname you. 

Pronouns rant included.

C'mon, it's been nearly 1.5 years now!

(Hugs)

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Phoenix the II said:

Pronouns rant included.

Hugs

• Like 1
On 10/3/2019 at 1:14 PM, Phoenix the II said:

Pronouns rant included.

*adds to the hug pile* 

I'm sorry that you had to go through that... :( 

I still have people who do that. Even though I've been going by this name for several years now and I even legally changed it last year, some people (particularly my sister-in-law and some members of her family) either keep forgetting to call me the right name and even downright insist on calling me by the wrong name. It's like they just don't give a damn that it hurts me when they do that, even though I've tried talking to them about it many times now... 😢 

nerdperson777
On 10/3/2019 at 1:14 PM, Phoenix the II said:

Pronouns rant included.

I'm almost at 5 years.  I can clearly see that my name in my parents' phone contacts is my full birth name.  It's not even my nickname, which I don't mind as much.  I hate my full name now really.  What a journey I've been on.  I just slowly got more dysphoric about my name over time and now I don't like hearing the whole thing.  They did say at one point in time that they would try, but I haven't seen much trying beyond avoiding pronouns altogether.  But they'll default back to birth pronouns, not realizing how much it hurts.

Well, I went to my doctor's office to change my info there.  This week I've submitted changes to medical insurance and car insurance.  When I've changed legally to non-binary, the issues start to appear.  So the administrative person helping me with that did not really know how the words were defined.  Birth sex does have to remain female.  She almost put female for gender identity, which the options were female, male and undifferentiated.  Of course, asexual isn't a listed sexual orientation.  It couldn't be "<none>" so it ended up being "other, please specify".  So asexual was typed out there.  What impressed me was that there was a pronoun option.  I could only choose one, so they/them it was.

• Like 2
nerdperson777
12 hours ago, Dani Skellington said:

@nerdperson777 "Undifferentiated"? Haven't seen that word used before for gender identity... 

I may have remembered wrong but I think that was a word for something.  There were two things with those weird options and I can't remember the other one or what it was for.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

(please tag me instead)

I was watching the news with my parents and a guy appeared on screen with a pink-red backpack.

My mother then commented he must be gay for having pink. 

I got annoyed and said it was just a color.

Pink doesn't make guys gay, we had gone through this color-discussion before. I was this close saying ''You're implying that wearing blue makes you gay as well then'' but I kept quiet about it.

She wears blue very often herself too but I get nagged for too much blue. It's so frustrating!

My parents make a big deal over a color but happily gave me a ... when I was younger??

Parents are weird.

• Like 4

@Destan No kidding.

Then my parents chosen blue shower curtains, blue rugs, blue bed sheets, army themed backpacks and made homophobic comments around me so I'd be like them.

Too bad for them, their plan didn't work.

• Like 3
On 9/22/2019 at 4:23 AM, Bloc said:

I can't remember anyone at school be using the showers, an open room with ten to twelve showers and washing basin in the middle. However the clouds of deo spray in the changing room were worse then the sweat. Did I mention how terrible Axe spray smells when you are immersed by it for ten minutes?

Pretty sure that stuff counts as a chemical weapon.

• Like 1
DuranDuranfan
1 hour ago, Iridium said:

Or, you stick it in front a lighter. Makeshift flamethrower!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Iridium said:

No kidding.

I run far away from that stuff.

• Like 1

Friend: Don’t worry about your gender too much, you are going through a phase right now. 

Me: Being cisgender was my phase.

• Like 4

''Just because you don't want to use your uterus at 17, doesn't mean you won't want to use it at 35.''

Okay so you can't know your lack of orientation/gender before 35 now. 

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Poe's Creep Meta said:

''Just because you don't want to use your uterus at 17, doesn't mean you won't want to use it at 35.''

Okay so you can't know your lack of orientation/gender before 35 now. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

If you can choose to get tattooed or start smoking at 18, you should also be allowed to get sterilized.

• Like 9
nerdperson777
On 10/29/2019 at 6:48 PM, Iridium said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

If you can choose to get tattooed or start smoking at 18, you should also be allowed to get sterilized.

Or breast augmentation at 16.

• Like 4
On 10/29/2019 at 6:48 PM, Iridium said:

I apologize if this is an unpopular position, but I think these are enormously different things.

I'm a parent & I'm glad I did that. I'm also glad I live in a world where I don't have to stay/be female. (I just picked up my new prescription for full dose T that transmen typically graduate to.)

I do strongly support autonomy, but forever discarding the ability to have children is hardly comparable to a tattoo or smoking. It's so irreversible (far more than hormones), it changes the life you can choose to lead in decades to come.

It shouldn't be taken lightly, it's not crazy to worry that folks need to take time with this decision, and what's worse is when it is "required". I'm a strong supporter of advocacy against laws that require sterilization for changing gender identity. eg https://www.thedailybeast.com/its-not-just-japan-many-us-states-require-transgender-people-get-sterilized

2 hours ago, anisotrophic said:

forever discarding the ability to have children

I'm not doing that though. The idea of going through sex 😱 pregnancy 🤢 asnd dhildbirth 😫 makes me want to die, let alone the existential-related fear of passing on my genes. Removing that possibility altogether would be fantastic. If I end up wanting kids one day, I'll just adopt. I don't know why whether you grew your kid's fetus with your blood is so important. Must be quite the experience for people who would tolerate that, but once the kid is born, there shouldn't be a difference. 

• Like 2