Students of the School of Life

Ennis

Hi all!

This thread is supposed to be a place to share your favourite videos of the School of Life (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7IcJI8PUf5Z3zKxnZvTBog).

It is also for discussion and/or related questions.

I've been a great fan of those videos for a while now and I believe they are a good way to stay sane and to keep wondering about this world and its human inhabitants.

I hope some of you feel the same. You are welcome to share your thoughts.

This video touched me and I could relate to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTIzzf6ncg

31 minutes ago, Quasar.w said:

^^ this is me... it's sort of scary sometimes to see yourself in such videos :D I like the school of life videos a lot, hope I can watch more now that it's summer times

My thoughts exactly...

Show me a SoL video you like, dear friend!

Forest Spirit

I just tried looking through their videos and pick one out, but it's helpless :D there're too many! I think for me it's especially the videos which talk about relationships and emotions, showing the meaning behind certain actions (mine and others). They help me a lot in understanding myself and my relationships (past and present) with people better since I'm not really "skilled" and rather unexperienced in this whole thing. It's nice to get an explanation to why people react the way they do in certain situations (or atleast what the reason could be) and also to get an idea of how to cope with it (as the emotionally messy person I am)

Redshirt Jim

O Charlie !  Ya finally did it! 

This is brilliant :)

Just wanna share this one :)

8 hours ago, Vernon Dunkin said:

Just wanna share this one :)

This is brilliant!!! Thanks a lot!

Another drawback of this mindset implying that from a certain point onwards no development is possible is that we tend to apply it to others. Thus people think (or say) things like "I can't be friends with him, he's too jealous" without considering a possible change of this particular trait. It it so much easier to judge a person as "bad" than to allow them to grow and take a step we might already have taken.

Accordingly, of course, we mustn't give up on ourselves. Bad habits, emotional reactions, even our way of thinking can be changed. We can change it.

• 2 weeks later...
Redshirt Jim

This is a video that criticize the school of life. The maker did admit to be rather harsh in this. At first view, I disliked it. But after reading the comments and watching it again,  I say there is a lot of things that can be taken from that video &the comments.  Both from pro and contra. So, I leave it as a neutral as with my opinion.  While not really agreeing with the way the maker critics,  I think we should take this video as an effort to make school of life even better. 

Live Long and Prosper -Vd

@Vernon Dunkin

I started watching the video, too. He sure does have a point, yet his criticism cannot be applied to all videos and (for what I watched) he didn't mention anything positive. Good critics should look at things from several perspectives and not just rant about what they don't like, in my opinion.

I'd like to see Alain de Botton answering his critique.

• 3 months later...

A new video! And an interesting one. Of course, anxiety is a medical condition. This kind of anxiety is the normal, rather common version.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A new video I find quite interesting, especially in relation to asexuality. Don't be confused, there's a mistake in the animation. Triangles and squares are swapped after 1:28. Just focus on the letters A, B, and C.

C hit home for me, didn't know my avoidant behaviour is actually... let's say common. Very interesting video, thanks for sharing! What I missed was what to do if both of them are B or C, I guess understanding each other would be easier but dealing with it can still be complicated..

2 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

what to do if both of them are B or C

I don't think that would make matters much easier.

Reflecting on my past relationship I think that my avoidant behaviour started only after feeling rejected and not listened to a few times. Basically when the illusion was shattered that my partner would understand all my troubles I guess.

16 minutes ago, Jona said:

Reflecting on my past relationship I think that my avoidant behaviour started only after feeling rejected and not listened to a few times. Basically when the illusion was shattered that my partner would understand all my troubles I guess.

Why does that sound so familiar... And it even wasn't ever a commited relationship, illusion fits too well.

Sorry to hear about what has happened ^hugs^ (virtual hugs always work!)

6 minutes ago, Quasar.w said:

Sorry to hear about what has happened

Be sorry for my partner. Trying to approach someone who's avoidant must be terrible, especially if you really like them. My behaviour was very unfair at times, I s'pose.

Thanks for the hugs though, I appreciate it.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

do you folks think they're ace friendly? because i just discovered them thru my straight brother in law and they have a tooooon of videos on sex and i watched the one on "what makes people attractive" they just put out and i dont wanna get attached and then get burnt. theyre i think partly staffed by emotional/psychological experts? so def a aspec negative bias is possible, more counselors i hear about are House MD and not the writers of bojack horseman. idk tho, maybe theyre not medical people/aphobes

3 hours ago, Chris Zulas said:

do you folks think they're ace friendly? because i just discovered them thru my straight brother in law and they have a tooooon of videos on sex and i watched the one on "what makes people attractive" they just put out and i dont wanna get attached and then get burnt. theyre i think partly staffed by emotional/psychological experts? so def a aspec negative bias is possible, more counselors i hear about are House MD and not the writers of bojack horseman. idk tho, maybe theyre not medical people/aphobes

Hello there. Alain de Botton is the person behind the School of Life. He has even given a whole talk just about sex (which I didn't listen to). Sex and sexuality do come up in some of the videos, especially those about relationships etc. This was never an issue for me though, I just smiled and thought "well, that part doesn't really apply to me" and went on. It's not like the go into great detail or anything. I think it's not a big deal if you've accepted that sex is an important part of many people's lives.

I don't know what SoL think about asexuality but given that de Botton is a philosopher who likes to think stuff through and who knows about getting hurt emotionally I'd say it's unlikely that he's as bigoted as the authers of House.

SoL is not Tumblr, there are no trigger warnings and they have a reasonable approach to offendedness (a stoic attitude I'd call it). You can always stop watching a video if you don't like it. Doesn't mean that the whole channel is shite. I don't agree with all their opinions, but they certainly inspire me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

What do you think about Stoicism? I'm currently reading a book by Epictetus. You can find his writings online: http://classics.mit.edu/Browse/browse-Epictetus.html

It's interesting, but I disagree with some of his statements because they seem to claim that you shouldn't care about anything which you cannot change (which is everything but your mindset). All in all I'll say that while I like Stoic ideas, they go a bit too far.

If you've got 41 minutes to spare, I can recommend this radio podcast on Stoicism: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cswpsw

Need a shorter introduction? There are a few on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stoicism

Here's a video about 3 possible misinterpretations of Stoicism. I both liked the video and the fact that the person in the video is wearing an ace ring :)

• 7 months later...

Hello fellow students,

I discovered a new video by our beloved SoL today: "I am not my body". What do you think?

Spoiler

Archived