"Aromantic isn't real"

Kaitlynn

So I brought up being aromantic to my close friend and said I happened to read upon it and look into it and they made a face and said "that's not real". I said nothing and felt offended. How do you counteract someone who says this?

Ever since I saw this video, it has kind of changed my view on romanticism.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally romantic, but I am also more of a realist.

I do agree with the video that romance is an idea, not a fact.

Aromanticism is also an idea.

So the way I think of things, they both exist.

We all have a unique view of life, and live life based on our belief.

I hope you at least find it interesting if not informative.

https://youtu.be/jltM5qYn25w

Explain it to them or move on from it, I guess? Maybe they haven't heard of it before.

arekathevampyre

I will just walk away . If aromantics ain't real then what makes romantics real anyway ? ;)

Ask them to explain what romance is, and to prove romance is real; then when they can't. You smugly exclaim "I rest my case".

arekathevampyre
10 minutes ago, Yato God of Tofu said:

Ask them to explain what romance is, and to prove romance is real; then when they can't. You smugly exclaim "I rest my case".

good one !!

Enne Kristin

of course this is real. I know a couple who are married now for over 15 years now and I have never seen a more aromantic relationship...

NerotheReaper

Try explaining and if they refuse to listen or understand, walk away. It isn't worth your time or breath trying to talk to someone who isnt interested in listening to you

athenahono

Either explain it to them or tell them: well I guess I'm a god. OR explain it to them and if they still deny it say you're a god.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ALSO: Here's an example of a fiction character who is aromantic AND ace

Katniss Everdeen. 

or here's a list of suspected ace/aro people in media: https://www.buzzfeed.com/skarlan/ace-on-the-big-screen?utm_term=.dsjANLnaNM#.stq8yqBryw

Redshirt Jim
3 hours ago, argar said:

Ever since I saw this video, it has kind of changed my view on romanticism.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally romantic, but I am also more of a realist.

I do agree with the video that romance is an idea, not a fact.

Aromanticism is also an idea.

So the way I think of things, they both exist.

We all have a unique view of life, and live life based on our belief.

I hope you at least find it interesting if not informative.

https://youtu.be/jltM5qYn25w

School of life is in top spot for realistic view on love. 

Very recommend anyone to see it.

I agree with some of the points School of Life makes, but not all of them.

"Thank you for your opinion."

I had similar with a friend. She said I can't be romantic because I'm a woman(!) and I've had relationships(!).

I just shouted the argument down.

If your friend still refuses to believe it, after you've given a logical explanation, it's their loss.

Love that video by the way. Maybe show them that as a lead in to the conversation?

Umm...I exist. Your friend can say we don't exist, but we do. I'm 31, I've been on two dates in my entire life, and both of them convinced me that I am infinitely happier on my own. 

Aromantics are not real ? Oh, THAT'S I don't see a reflection when I look in the mirror ! And all these years I thought it was because I was a vampire. 

Oh what's that ? Vampires are not real either ? 

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
On 8.7.2017 at 1:58 AM, Kaitlynn said:

So I brought up being aromantic to my close friend and said I happened to read upon it and look into it and they made a face and said "that's not real". I said nothing and felt offended. How do you counteract someone who says this?

Just don't give a f**** about what they say. It IS real. We all agree on that here from our personal experience Don't waste your time on explaining things they won't never understand anyway.

I have a colleague who was talking about relationships and when it came to me I just said : "meeeh I'm not really into this whole relationship thingie.." - we were in an open space and didn't want to have a full conversation about asexuality and aromanticism lol
anyway his reply was "whaaaaat but it's great to take care of someone, you have to??"

I just said "yeah, i'm taking care of myself and that's enough for me. " he jut looked at me and shrugged "yeah, fair enough."

another one, after I told her I never fell in love and don't really understand the whole romance concept :

"whhaaaaaaaaaaat but relationships are life you suffer but it's good suffering and you have to try it at least!!!"
"so i should just get with someone, whatever, just for the sake of trying it even if I don't want to?"

"no it has to be with someone you like!!"
"BUT I'VE NEVER LIKED ANYONE YOU-"

all of this to say - some people are just too stubborn to try to deviate their mindset from their normal settings, you know and we know it exists and it's the main thing here. Even if you try to explain it's just so foreign they often won't get it, and won't even try to.

Redshirt Jim
On 7/8/2017 at 1:08 PM, argar said:

I agree with some of the points School of Life makes, but not all of them.

Yep. You kinda have to be selective, though. 

The advice regarding marriage and romance seems ok to me.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Good video @argar, in the west romance is something that has been attached to love, but in ancient Greece there were various different types of love, I'm thinking particularly about Eros and Agape, the former being connected to sexual relationships and the latter being a universal empathetic kindness. They also had storge, which was a family bond of love and philia, which is connected with friendship. The video just goes to show how we focused and subsequently obsessed about eros, to the neglect of the other types.

Excellent point!

Archived