1. 1.

• Since I remember...
    • From age 15-18
    • From age 18-23
    • From age 23-30
    • From age 30+
    • Not an Asexual

This poll is closed to new votes

I just meant that it is the kind of sex that has a purpose in nature.

Sex without a purpose (with the other sex) is just masturbation.

And another thing, I am not saying that any other sexuality is right or wrong, I am always the first to stop people from using those terms.

How can you say that homosexuality is not one of nature's built in ways of keeping a species from overpopulating their area?

SomeoneElse

It is not really sex then, is it?

This is not even close to my point.

My point was that chemicals cause the behavior, disorder, problem, difference, whatever.

But is being asexual also caused by chemical imbalances?

That was the original question.

theonlymria

As far as I know I've NEVER experienced any kind of sexual attraction, which would argue for a predisposition.

I just meant that it is the kind of sex that has a purpose in nature.

Just because a certain type of sex may not cause reproduction does not mean that it has no purpose. Emotional expression. Group/individual bonding. Pleasure. Etc. It's all some type of purpose.

omnistpriest wrote:

My point was that chemicals cause the behavior, disorder, problem, difference, whatever.

That was the original question.

http://www.biolreprod.org/cgi/content/full/67/1/263#SEC3

An experiment done on rams. It shows testosterone and cortisol ratios have little no no corrolation to sexuality in a concious ram, but do show distinct patterns in anesthetized rams. Do read the entire conclusion though, it explains the need for further testing due to the anestesia used. Based on this, though, if there is a chemical imbalance, it certainly isn't testesterone. I do believe it to be some sort of predisposition though.

I think I already answered that when I said no the first time. There are a number of members of this board, myself included, that had to have chemical/hormonal tests for whatever reason. Many of them came back completely within the "normal" range. And those that didn't werent often the same imbalanced chemical than someone else's imbalance, that I could tell.

Omnistpriest, it seems to me that you are looking at this as a black and white issue. You're saying that orientation is either chemical or is a choice. It is usually neither.

So being homosexual is a choice?

That's a pretty dumb thing to say. Is hetero-sexuality a choice? No. Is asexuality a choice? No. Is homo-sexuality a choice? No. Imbalance implies something is physically wrong, errored, etc. Chemical imbalances cause mood swings, physical issues, depression, mental illness, etc. It does NOT cause orientation. And orientation is NOT a choice any more than one's biological sex is. What is with this black and white crap? I already gave an alternative to your "chemical imbalance" AND possible genetic stuff. Stop ignoring it.

omnistpriest wrote:

So what is it then?

You just eliminated every possible answer.

I'm going to go with something beyond modern scientific comprehension. Most hormone tests done turn up normal, so that kind of rules ot chemical imbalance. Genetically it would make sense that it would have died out (though I can think of ways that it would continue to exist, mind you my knowledge of genetics is EXTREEMLY minimal). There, to my knowledge, has been little done in brain scans and such, so nothing there to talk about. It is very well possable that whatever "causes" sexuality is not something that can be found with modern science and technology.

So what is it then?

You just eliminated every possible answer.

You are not listening. I didn't eliminate every possibility because I already gave you another one in an above post. While it is NOT a choice and it is NOT a disorder or chemical imbalance, there are other options beyond just genetics, which I already suggested. No one knows for sure, but you completely ignoring what I said is doing nothing to make me take you seriously. And I don't see how in the world orientation can have anything to do with 'spirituality.'

• 2 years later...

I don't think my asexuality is somethig I become is just the way I have always been, other thing is that I didn't know who to call it!.

• 3 weeks later...
AkiraCoinTykiGotBetaMuffin

I placed it on the second due to I have always been asexual for as long as I know, I however didn't realise till later in life when the actual existence of it became known to me.

superscyther
I agree with Penumbra. I just never developed the interest (obsession?) with, and/or understanding of sexual attraction that seemed to come normally to others at puberty. So yeah, since I can remember.

I agree; the same for me.

Archived