asexuality and utopia

Dudette

I have found this video on youtube. Basically this is the first video which shows asexuality in animal kingdom.

At one moment of this video the narrator mentions "the beautiful ones" and I wanna discuss about them.

Basically, I was thinking whether it is possible just possible that asexuality is caused by utopia?

When I compare my life with these mice I see that I kinda live in a utopia because I do not starve, I have Internet, I do not live out on the streets, etc (basically first world country environment).

Or do you think that these mice would actually exist in the wild, and we were able see them in this experiment because it was controlled?

What do you think?

dude i've had that theory for a while. I feel with how populated the world is and how sex is pretty much everywhere from regular conversation to marketing i think some of us have just become put off from it if not mentally but instinctively probably both. of course intelligence defiantly effects things as well we are not strictly ruled by our instincts but they are still there. 

It has been widely noted that LGBT orientations pop up more often in overpopulated species that live well. One theory science has suggested is that sexual orientations that cannot make offspring help the population by adopting the children who's parents have died or otherwise abandoned them.

I haven't really read much on if these orientations still exist in underpopulated species and just choose to mate or what the situation is. But you wouldn't be wrong to speculate that asexuality and other orientations will come out of the woodwork more in well taken care of populations (heck, maybe that's why LGBT groups are more common in more well-to-do countries).

Also....

Moved from The Gray Area to World Watch

Puck

Moderator, The Gray Area and The Sex Talk

Moderator, Off-A

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

It may be the case, however there are many layers to our society and I would beg to differ on the relation to humanity: firstly, any effects in humanity which may be similar to those in the animal kingdom when a species becomes overpopulated is artificial, because humanity is not in a state of overpopulation, rather we have extremely unequal distribution of resources. I would argue that surely, the differentiations which we have made, between libido and sexual activity and sexual/romantic/platonic attraction and all of those which we have yet to discover, are a human thing, though maybe not exclusively: I can imagine that the process which animals go through before they decide on a mate and act is complicated in itself, but in human society we have added further layers. Some might turn out to have been unnecessary, and resulted from the way we divide everything into categories, but maybe a lot of this is inevitable. Also, secondly, food and home insecurity exist worldwide in the present day and additionally there have been periods of history where, despite disease and less advanced science/technology, people could have lived good lives, otherwise they wouldn't have produced science and such in the first place. I dunno, I don't want to start an argument but this sort of thinking bugs the hell out of me, so I'm going to say that rather than the asexuality community being related to an improved human existence, it's the result of pressure from a deeply conformist society requiring us to find a name for the ways in which we differ or be excluded as "other".  Who knows if there are more asexual people now than before, because people didn't have a name for it, or had a different one, if people have some studies though that would be cool :) I personally think sexuality is something which we can compare in animals as well and generally should have some evidence within it. Though I'd also imagine things like the Kinsley scale or whatever, where it went from straight to gay, prove that trying to take this association too literally completely misses the complexity of human society and erases bi, pan, trans etc people because that is a human phenomenon resulting from constructs such as gender.

Archived