Asexual Flag and Symbol!?

Chip123

I like the idea of the triangle pointing up like an "A". Even if we had that horizontal line, I thought it could resemble the one in the letter 'A' until I realized that it starts resembling the Atkin's logo. :?

I wish I was more artistically inclined so I could come up with something brand new. Argh!

Nico-Nico Friendo

I agree that the symbol we have now has GOT TO go! Yes, it had always reminded me of homosexuality, too. That makes it confusing. I don't want people to think I'm homo- (or anything '-sexual') when I'm not.

We totally need a new symbol that can be distingished from other symbols!

How about getting some ideas from these planet and other astronomical symbols?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_symbols

Here's also some information on symbols in general:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbols

There are some symbols for asteroids that are named after virgin deities.

50px-Vesta_symbol.svg.png Vesta!

50px-Pallas_symbol.svg.png Pallas!

5_Astraea_Symbol.png Astraea!

12_Victoria_symbol.png Victoria!

Nico-Nico Friendo

I found this clip art of an amoeba on google:

HOF_080.jpg

From here: http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/ICL/ICL144/HOF_080.jpg

I think it looks kind of cool. It's stylized! 8)

Nico-Nico Friendo

Also . . . Has anyone heard of planaria? Those flatworms that you can cut in half and they will become two individuals. So that means they can reproduce both sexually and asexually. They are hermaphrodites so they have both sets of sex organs. I think they look pretty cool and check out their 'cartoon' eyes! LOL! :lol:

Here's a picture:

planaria.jpg

A seastar (starfish) can also reproduce asexually if you cut it into pieces.

starfish.jpg

starfish-purple-plastic-f1025a.jpg

This one's plastic, but it's purple. ^

starfish.jpg

Look at the arms on this one! ^

starfish.jpg

Too bad this one is already taken, but it looks cool > http://larvalabs.com/starfish/images/largelogo_starfish.gif

Starfish necklace (Ooh, pretty!) > http://www.agiftfornoreason.com/ProductIma...sh-necklace.JPG

I have nothing against the current symbol but if people are more comfortable with something else I like the idea of using an amoeba since we already use it as an unofficial symbol occasionally.

Nico-Nico Friendo

I wonder if we can do something having to do with 'ace':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace

A deck of cards with all aces, different suits? (It might make a cool t-shirt, anyway.)

Like this picture:

http://academic.kellogg.edu/mckayg/buad112...es/fouraces.jpg

There is one Ace shirt in the visibility shop already but if you want to create a new design and submit it to me I'll put it in there also.

PM me if you need any more details.

I wonder if we can do something having to do with 'ace':

That's it! The Ace of Hearts! It's so perfect!

poker_ace_hearts.jpg

Seriously, I need this shirt! Isn't that so perfectly subtle but clear? Asexy! I am so using this as my asexual symbol from now on!

Thank you, Lunamoth! :D

On the ace theme, how about something like

spades_ace.jpg

Just something I bashed together on some cheap software. I could make it a bit prettier if I had a spare hour or so.

Is there any particular symbolism to that shape, Jongleur? I'm just curious. If you want to play with it and make it fancier just PM me and I'll tell you the requirements for submitting designs to the shop.

Nico-Nico Friendo

The symbol looks like an A with a spade for the middle, but why a spade in particular? Why not a heart, diamond or club? Or is there no reason behind using a spade?

There's no particular symbolism in it, I just thought it'd look nice (conceptual art is not my forte). The spade seemed to lend itself to being enclosed in a loop extending from itself, and the club looked a little strange. It doesn't look too different from an ampersat, so maybe one of those would make a nice symbol.

EDIT: Just realised that ampersat isn't the most commonly used word, so here it is:

150px-At_sign.svg.png

EDIT 2: I'm an idiot. There's a button on the keyboard for writing @.

I don't know... @ is already a pretty well known symbol for at. I doubt we'd have much luck claiming something like that as our symbol specifically.

There definitely is something nice about the Spade symbol, though... but maybe that's just me and my obsession with cards. ;)

I like the symbol for Vesta, but that might be b/c I'm a virgin and it's a big V, lol. I also like the amoeba idea a lot. We could make it purple. :)

Personally, the lavender/purple thing works. The triangle is a handy-dandy way of explaining things, even if I'd never wear it on a shirt.

Where is the Ace thing coming from? Because they look cool?

Starfish/amoeba/asexual creatures - if they look too obvious, I think they might just confuse people more... to take styling from them though, would be fine.

The triangle... turning it upside down - uh, ever seen those like triangles of rank in social studies class? With the king at the top and the serfs at the bottom? It would look like we were condoning asexuality above other orientations or something. Even if we switched the colour or something, it would look like the white was for purity, as if we were more pure than other people... And it's identified with gays!

My original idea, which led me to this site, was just a circle of some colour (purple sounds great) taken from the symbols for gender (O+, O->) which sometimes stand for sexuality when they're linked together. Of course, we have gender, so I scrapped it. I also thought it could double for a 0, as in, 0 sexual attraction and whatnot.

An "ace" is sort of a slang way of saying an asexual person. :D

Personally, I've always been a fan of the flaming a. But that's because I love the fire, and the plan on "flaming gay." :lol:

And I also like the ampersat symbol :D And, as Hpets said, it's a bit too common for us to use... :?

Yeah, since heterosexual, homosexual and bisexual each have a one syllable short form (straight, gay and bi), it seemed like asexual needed a short form, too... but a doesn't really look right. So ace has become a more popular term.

And the reason that I like the ace of hearts specifically is that I feel it represents asexuality quite well. A = a, and the red heart symbol = sexual. Or alternatively The ace of hearts" = "Asexual within the world of romance, sexuality, etc."

Personally, I've always been a fan of the flaming a.

The first thing that comes to mind is Hester Prynne from the Scarlet Letter. Who got the scarlet A b/c she slept around. Which is exactly what we don't do. I can't decide if that's just wrong or amusingly ironic....

Personally, I've always been a fan of the flaming a.

The first thing that comes to mind is Hester Prynne from the Scarlet Letter. Who got the scarlet A b/c she slept around. Which is exactly what we don't do. I can't decide if that's just wrong or amusingly ironic....

Oh I never thought of it like that... :lol: Yeah, that makes sense. But I like the Scarlet Letter, too! :wink: :D

Hi, just a thought...

I like the heart. It could include shades of lavendar, sorta like the shades in the current logo.

:idea: Hey, is it possbile to send out an email to all the members soliciting their input, and then conduct a poll? That might help.

EarthAngel

50px-Pallas_symbol.svg.png Pallas!

It's kind of like the female gender symbol. Maybe people could use it for female asexuals?

I was just about to say that I liked the Pallas symbol too (it's nice and simple!), but as you point out it is similar to the Venus symbol so maybe not so good for male asexuals. The other thing about the virgin symbols like Pallas and Vesta is that not all asexuals are virgins.

Of course since there are so many different types of asexual it'll be pretty difficult to find something that will apply to everybody.

So yeah, I'm still going with the Ace of Hearts. :)

Nico-Nico Friendo

Ace of Hearts is pretty cool, actually.

It's like your heart is asexual. You can still love someone, you still 'have a heart,' but you're just not interested in anyone in a sexual way. I like the symbolism. :D

For uniqueness sake, and since so many people like the purple/lavender colour, what about an ace of hearts that is purple instead of red? Or maybe just the top corner of an ace of hearts (i.e. the A with a heart below it). Does one of our photo uploaders (ex. Jongleur or Charliepyro) want to try those ones out? (Pretty please? :D)

Will do. I've had a crack at it tonight, but I'll tidy it up a bit tomorrow. I'm trying an outline version as well, just to see what that looks like.

Teras Mania

I was playing around in photoshop last night and came up with this design. :D

aven2.png

and

aven.png[/img]

edit: the whiteness is apparently transparency :roll:

Archived