Trigger Warning. Poll: Gymnophobia (as the tittle says, it's a sensible topic, please read taking own precautions)

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

Trigger Warning. Gymnophobia (as the tittle says, it's a sensible topic, please read taking own with precautions)  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer gymnophobia? (fear of being naked)

• Yes, I suffer a severe form of gymnophobia, I don't even like to be naked when I'm alone.
    • I think I could possible have a bit of "gymnophobia".
    • I suffered gymnophobia, I'm controlling my own fears.
    • No, I don't like to be naked in from of people but I don't have a phobia.
    • This isn't relevant to me.
    • Other.
    • I was born naked and hope to die naked. I'm a naturist.
  2. 2. If you must be naked in front of someone:

• I would be naked only if it's necessary.
    • I would not even want to get naked in front of a doctor.
    • I would be comfortable naked in front of friends or people I trust.
    • I would be comfortable naked in front of a romantic partner.
    • I would be comfortable naked in front of a sexual partner.
    • Lets be naked and free.
    • Just reading this is making me feel sick.
  3. 3. If someone is naked in front of you:

• No way! No.Get out of my sight.
    • I would be ok, only if needed: an emergency, public showers, work (modeling for example)...
    • I would be ok in certain cases ie. a romantic partner.
    • If I could avoid it, I would do better.
    • I would enjoy it (in certain cases).
    • I would get naked too. Lets all be naked and free.

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

I was just wondering how you feel about being naked in front of other. I knew I always felt bad even with the idea, but didn't knew it was a phobia until recently, it made me feel better, as odd as it make sounds, like, so I'm not alone in this? Other people have feel so bad about being naked? I would even avoid going to a doctor if I could if I know they are going to require to see me naked. :unsure: 

I don't even like being naked while alone, but I don't view it as a phobia. I have a hard time imagining why anyone would like being naked.

Grumpy Alien

I'm... fine? with it I guess? I don't particularly like being naked and I hate my body so I don't want to show it off. But the doctor has seen a bazillion and ten bodies of every possible variety so that's not embarrassing to me. Family, friends, partner - fine. They're not going to care. I'm uncomfortable changing in public like in spas and gyms but I will do it if they don't have a private changing room. I'll just shield myself however possible. I figure other people are doing it there at the same time, so what difference does it make? I could never be a nudist though. That sounds so physically uncomfortable and gross. My preferred clothing status is "fully" with several layers. I don't even understand how people go around their house in their underwear.

As for other people, I could not care less. I see naked people all the time at work. It just doesn't phase me.

Guest Invisible Pumpkin
4 minutes ago, Graceful said:

My preferred clothing status is "fully" with several layers.

:lol::lol: It's funny the way you say it. 

darkstreamers252

I have a lot of body issues and I have enough trouble being around others clothed because of my body, I nearly get anxiety attacks at having to undress at the doctors and the probing sometimes cause flashbacks from abuse when I was younger. I certainly would never undress in front of anyone. I don't particularly like dressing even in public restrooms, this comes from when I was really young, like preschool, boy and girls would use the same bathroom and there were several boys that would like to look through the cracks and sometimes under the stall itself. In addition, I can't stand to see myself naked. I don't think I have a phobia though I just hate, well hate is not a strong enough word even, abhor my body.

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

I forgot to thanks to all the people that can take the poll, also to share some links with information about the topic, so here you have: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnophobia

https://www.allaboutcounseling.com/library/gymnophobia/

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=12335

If you have a link with better information, please share it! 

AVEN #1 fan

I feel so free when naked alone, yet so uncomfortable around people.

I wouldn't say I have this phobia, although I loathe being naked even in my own home. I spent my teenage years hating my entire body and now I'm still suffering from monthly dysphoria, so you get the idea... I haven't been to a doctor because of the fear of having to undress for a while.

However, when other people change in front of me or I see naked people in shows and movies (just went through ointb, so yeah) I'm usually fine (minus the slight uncomfortability when looking at naked male bodies) because I'm aware this is my issue, not others'. 

Didn't know what gymnophobia was.  Now I do!

No, I don't have any particular issue with being naked, even if I do think most people wouldn't particularly like to see it.

5 hours ago, Graceful said:

My preferred clothing status is "fully" with several layers. I don't even understand how people go around their house in their underwear.

You'd possibly be singing a different tune if you lived somewhere like where I am, where I'm perpetually dying of heat...

But yeah, "just in underwear" is pretty much my natural state if I don't have to, like, go outside anywhere.  If I try wearing anything more than that around the house, it just accumulates sweat and gets real uncomfortable real fast.

SamwiseLovesLife

I'm totally cool with being naked, let's be free!

I haven't a typically 'attractive' body but I don't really care, I love being in my own skin

I don't love seeing genitals but I don't mind the rest, why should people be forced to wear constricting clothing? Wear as much or as little as makes you comfortable :)

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

2 hours ago, mania said:

I wouldn't say I have this phobia, although I loathe being naked even in my own home. I spent my teenage years hating my entire body and now I'm still suffering from monthly dysphoria, so you get the idea... I haven't been to a doctor because of the fear of having to undress for a while.

However, when other people change in front of me or I see naked people in shows and movies (just went through ointb, so yeah) I'm usually fine (minus the slight uncomfortability when looking at naked male bodies) because I'm aware this is my issue, not others'. 

Are you managing better the fear of having to undress? If so, what have you done for feeling better.

2 hours ago, Philip027 said:

Didn't know what gymnophobia was.  Now I do!

Cool! 

1 hour ago, SamwiseLovesLife said:

I'm totally cool with being naked, let's be free!

I haven't a typically 'attractive' body but I don't really care, I love being in my own skin

I don't love seeing genitals but I don't mind the rest, why should people be forced to wear constricting clothing? Wear as much or as little as makes you comfortable :)

I wish I was just like that :P 

1 hour ago, YouAreYummy said:

Are you managing better the fear of having to undress? If so, what have you done for feeling better.

Not really. I don't think avoiding the matter is the best idea, but that's what I do. I could say my strategy is ignoring any body related hate feelings and I haven't been in any undress-in-front-of-others situation recently. 

The last time I had to, I was completely unprepared and ashamed and that guy probably shoved me into the category of "not taking care of self because of depression" category because I didn't shave my legs, but yeah, ignore the fact that maybe I just... don't? That plays into it I guess. Until it's not acceptable for everyone in this goddamn society to have body hair because it is natural, I'm not going to show any skin anywhere.

Sorry, that post went a bit rant-y.

I chose other because it's not that I wouldn't not like being naked, I see it as a natural thing, but not to the level of naturism. I'm not uncomfortable showing my body if other people are naked too. Nudity is a normal and a pretty big part of my culture, we have things like "naked races" where the runners are only allowed to wear socks, shoes and a hat. :D I'd say we're actually kind of proud of how open minded and comfortable we are with nudity. It's always fun to take the exchange student for a sauna and a swim.

Here's a pretty good description of what we Finns enjoy doing (involves some naked people from behind)

On 16.6.2017 at 4:19 PM, arokani said:

I chose other because it's not that I wouldn't not like being naked, I see it as a natural thing, but not to the level of naturism. I'm not uncomfortable showing my body if other people are naked too. Nudity is a normal and a pretty big part of my culture, we have things like "naked races" where the runners are only allowed to wear socks, shoes and a hat. :D I'd say we're actually kind of proud of how open minded and comfortable we are with nudity. It's always fun to take the exchange student for a sauna and a swim.

Here's a pretty good description of what we Finns enjoy doing (involves some naked people from behind)

Thank you, now I only need to agree and no need of writing my own opinions8)

2 hours ago, Togee said:

Thank you, now I only need to agree and no need of writing my own opinions8)

Somebody has to advertise this country :P

I feel uncomfortable when naked, and surprise-nudity makes me want to throw up. However, I have no trouble peeing in front of people who don't mind, nor do I mind them if they obviously are okay with me standing there.

When it comes to changing clothes with others nearby, I am not really a fan of doing it. But, the very concept of people being okay with just asking me to turn around when they change clothes does warm my heart, knowing that there are people who'll simply trust you with a simple request to not look. Of course, it would nice if they could tell me when they are done. I have been left looking into walls and pillows more than once.

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha no.

I have no issues with being naked, either alone, or in front of others...as long as it is not taken sexually because..duh! Asexual. In fact, during the brutally hot summer months in my city, I often go nude inside my apartment. I live alone, except for my old doggie and -as I've stated in a different thread- he could care less :) I have also spent time in a nudist colony, so no problems with viewing other people's nakedness. Yet I'm not a full on nudist either, so I didn't go for the "let's be naked and free" option. And, when not naked, I actually wear clothing that skews far more towards the 'modest' end of the scale (harem pants, Kurtas/Kurtis/tunics, nothing shorter than capris,, nothing sleeveless, no cleavage showing etc...). So I am kind of a contradiction in terms :) 

ChillaKilla

Dysphoria combined with low self-esteem doesn't make for a strong liking of being naked in front of others, but if I'm alone... all bets are off :P 

I think I have gymnophobia.  I would prefer not to be, though - it seems like an irrational fear, like being afraid of nonpoisonous spiders (which also scare me, haha).

Guest Invisible Pumpkin
18 minutes ago, Euna said:

I think I have gymnophobia.  I would prefer not to be, though - it seems like an irrational fear, like being afraid of nonpoisonous spiders (which also scare me, haha).

Pretty much that is, an irrational fear or extreme anxiety caused by basically being ourselves naked or being someone else. That could have being originated by traumas or by a wrong perception of the body, excess of self-criticism or the like. 

20 hours ago, Anewnameforme said:

That could have being originated by traumas or by a wrong perception of the body, excess of self-criticism or the like. 

Good point - in that case, I can see it being rational/understandable.

Would it make sense to distinguish between (perhaps even extreme) modesty and phobia?

I must strictly avoid nudity under all circumstances. Being naked would make me extremely uncomfortable, even if I were alone, but I am not sure whether it qualifies as a phobia. A phobia is basically an irrational, exaggerated fear of something not really dangerous.

When I know that I will have to undress, e.g. for a medical exam, it worries me deeply, often even to such an extent that on occasion I am in time given a mild sedative. But it is a realistic concern - I know I will have to do something extremely unpleasant. Like for many people a visit to the dentist or similar. It may keep me awake the night before but it is not unfounded.

On the other hand when I must shower, bathe or change clothes I cannot bear the thought of inadvertently exposing or touching any part of my body, so I always have to enlist the help of my girlfriend to make absolutely sure that never ever happens.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I don't have a serious opinion about it, my take on it it 'good luck to anyone who finds this interesting!' (I speak of myself of course)..

• 2 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

I didn't know it was a phobia either.

anyways, I don't like to be naked even when I'm all alone, it just feels wrong. I might possibly sleep naked, but then I'd need lots of blankets to hide in.

I'm not comfortable being naked around others but I'm fine with being naked alone and not bothered about other peoples nudity.

Also anyone else think of Tobis Fünke being a Never Nude in Arrested Development?

I don't like seeing people naked, but I can handle it if it's a medical situation or something. Same with being naked.

Exception is romantic partners. I don't mind at all being naked in front of romantic partners, I kind of like being able to reach a point where we're comfortable with each other that much. And I don't mind seeing them naked. 

Skycaptain

Being naked in my own home, behind closed doors I'm comfortable with (especially as there are no mirrors) 

Otherwise, it's seriously uncomfortable for me, in fact the only time it's happened in thirty years was as part of an andrological examination (ugh) 

If other people are naked then I just avert my gaze, this is something I'd rather not be seeing 

Hermit Advocate

I don't really mind that much. I'd generally prefer not to be naked in front of anyone ever, but if it was an emergency or a locker room I can handle it. 

Archived