Everyday Feminism - 4 reasons why I don't need sex in my relationships (even though I'm not asexual)

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

http://everydayfeminism.com/2017/03/dont-need-sex-not-asexual/

8 March 2017

This kind of “sex or nothing” panic is fueled by the oppressive idea that sexual intimacy is the ultimate purpose of every romantic relationship – which just isn’t true for everyone, even for people who do experience sexual attraction.

It was an epiphany and a relief: We didn’t need sex to enjoy cuddling up on the couch and watching hours of Law & Order.

We didn’t need sex to create a loving home together, to support each other emotionally. We still loved each other, and there were millions of other ways to express that to one another.

The idea that sex wasn’t necessary for a fulfilling romantic relationship turned everything I thought I knew on its head. I always reserved this line of thinking for my asexual friends – I’d never once considered it might be true for me as well.

Nowadays, I’m embracing the spectrum that sexual attraction and behavior exists on, understanding that even folks who do experience sexual attraction – people like myself – may also have a lot of valid reasons for pursuing romantic relationships that don’t necessitate sex.

Archived