New Chatroom Procedure

Heart

Due to the fact that the new chat system has different software, admods have had to change our chat policies and how we react to situations where the ToS is being broken. Here is a summary of what now happens if something goes wrong in chat. Please note though: nothing has changed about what actions are and are not allowed; for example, the banned words are still banned, and the same chat terms of service apply.

New chat disciplinary procedure

1) If anything is happening in chat that needs to stop or is against the ToS and/or chat ToS and there is an admod there to notice, the admod will say a formal request to stop that specific behaviour, and say that they will take action if the behaviour continues.

2) The admod will wait at least ten seconds to make sure everyone has had a chance to read the warning before going further.  Messages posted right after the admod's verbal warning are let off as the user(s) may have been typing and not looked up at the warning before hitting enter.

3) If the behaviour persists after that 10 seconds, the admod will silence the member(s) who is continuing the behaviour for 60 seconds (1 minute). The admod will say another warning against the behaviour following the same guidelines as point 1. The silenced member should still have a chance to see this message, since silencing stops them from commenting but not from reading, so this will be their second verbal warning.

4) If the member continues the behaviour after their silence, then the admod will kick them for 2880 minutes (48 hrs).

5) The rest of the report system is unchanged.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have questions about how this new software works. And please do not hesitate to poke an admod if there is something going on in chat that is against the ToS or that you are uncomfortable with; we may still show up as being there without paying attention, so it never hurts to shoot us a PM either in chat or on AVEN if you need our help. And all members are still able and encouraged to report a user in chat who is behaving against the ToS.

I think 10 seconds is too short of a time, because it doesn't take into account of alt tabbing, slow bandwidth etc.

Guest And Peggy
45 minutes ago, Maou-sama said:

I think 10 seconds is too short of a time, because it doesn't take into account of alt tabbing, slow bandwidth etc.

^This

Also, slow typers.

It says "at least" 10 seconds, meaning no less than that but most likely more. The point is, we are keeping a short time so that if it's going crazy we can act fast and not be tied to a 2 minute cool wait, which people could then say stuff and say "sorry slow bandwidth but it was within the 2 mins. 

The likelihood is, it'll be more than 10 seconds, and we aren't evil, we do take into account that Chat is real-time :) 

Edit to add:

in regards to that, the rule basically has NOT changed. We are mostly updating the fact that silences replace kicks, and the kick replaces the temp chat ban. 

I am still too ignorant to know how to access the chatroom. Where is it, please?

27 minutes ago, Rio said:

I am still too ignorant to know how to access the chatroom. Where is it, please?

It doesn't appear on mobile. But on desktop you should see a purple bar at the bottom that hovers. Chat button is the bubble on that bar on the right.

Would 20 seconds be more appropriate?

Keep in mind, in the old chat procedure, there was no allowance for lags at all, not even necessarily 10 seconds. And all admods will be doing this on the fly, so if they're anything like me, they'll be sitting there thinking "one mississippi, two mississippi..." until they reach ten. It's not meant to be scientific :P

Qutenkuddly

When you talk about 10 seconds in real time, that doesn't seem like much, but, in chat, it's plenty long, especially when a mod is trying to get a handle of a situation that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Perissodactyla

What happened to the ToS notice that appeared prior to entering the old AVEN chat?

We had to click/agree with the statement of the rules as a reminder to be respectful of others in chat.

Even though we didn't need to keep reading it through every time, it served as a reminder.

And the newbies who may not have read through the ToS or experienced them interpreted and enforced over time were introduced to the ToS concepts.

So it might help to put that feature back in to reduce having to enforce ToS.

1 hour ago, oval said:

What happened to the ToS notice that appeared prior to entering the old AVEN chat?

We had to click/agree with the statement of the rules as a reminder to be respectful of others in chat.

Even though we didn't need to keep reading it through every time, it served as a reminder.

And the newbies who may not have read through the ToS or experienced them interpreted and enforced over time were introduced to the ToS concepts.

So it might help to put that feature back in to reduce having to enforce ToS.

That was available with the old chat that IPB provided with their forum software. I"m not sure if it's still possible with the new chat.

• 2 weeks later...

Been away, but I had a thought:

When you enter a chat room, you get a little paragraph of text to welcome you. As we can't make people agree to the ToS before entering, would it help if we mentioned some rules or pointed people to the Chat ToS list? 

NerotheReaper

I wish there was a way to be able to pin something said, like if admod could pin their formal request for the chat to stop. The request stays there visible for everyone to see, because some people who might be very heated they could send the request out of view for other members. 

7 hours ago, NerotheReaper said:

I wish there was a way to be able to pin something said, like if admod could pin their formal request for the chat to stop. The request stays there visible for everyone to see, because some people who might be very heated they could send the request out of view for other members. 

Is there a way to set a topic like /topic in an IRC? That could work as a compromise. 

What are the banned words? Are there lists of these things somewhere?

5 minutes ago, Puck said:

You can find the list here :)

Thanks, Puck. I haven't heard them all before and googled a few. Some of them seem ungooglable, or at least difficult to pin down the specific meaning.

1 hour ago, Decaf said:

Thanks, Puck. I haven't heard them all before and googled a few. Some of them seem ungooglable, or at least difficult to pin down the specific meaning.

When I first saw the list I had to look some up too. The nice thing about that is we don't have to worry about accidentally using them or something if they aren't part of our typical vernacular :P

If you have specific ones you don't know and want to learn, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to give the right definitions.

Perissodactyla
On 6/28/2017 at 5:34 AM, Decaf said:

You can, of course, find quite amusing as well as accurate and lively definitions here:

https://www.urbandictionary.com

lol

Archived