Do people know you are Asexual in real life?

Soldier455

Space-Ace-Android

I came out to my mom and she says that I am just a late bloomer :( And my dad hasn't said much. However, both believe that asexuality exists though! That is good :3

I haven't come out to anyone else, but when I do I shall be making puns nonstop..

Example:

Friend "You did well on that test!"

Me "You could even say I aceit:D *smiles* *raises one eyebrow* "

Friend "STAHP ALREADY"

ME ":cake:Never:cake:"

CAKE

Image result for Purple Cakes

Ghost of AVEN

I have come out to a few people in real life, and everyone is okay with it so far! Everyone is happy for me to just be myself!

My Dad actually loves it, because:

1. Less likely to get a girl pregnant

2. Less likely to come home moping about someone dumping me

My Mum is pretty 'meh' but my friends that I'm out to are just happy that I'm being honest to them about myself.

Toothpaste Fairy

Haven’t told anyone I know in real life yet, mainly because no one’s really ever asked and I’m not sure how to bring it up. Although I make no efforts to pretend I’m anything otherwise. 

I know my friend group should be cool with it, asexuality has come up in the conversation a few times, and they are all pretty accepting of it. They even know about romantic orientations and how it’s different from sexual orientation so that’s one less thing to explain. 

Not sure about telling my parents yet though, I don’t know how they’d react and how much they know already. I’ll get around to it, I’d just like time to get more comfortable with myself before I tell the people most likely to question me about it. 

I think my friends do know about my lack of interest for sexual things but I can't remember if I've called myself asexual out loud.

On the other hand, my family doesn't know about it and I don't think it's exactly necessary for them to know.

fuck no. i was asked once if i didnt like sex so i had to hump some peoples legs basically to convinced em i loved sex...i dont wanna get raped or fucked with for not liking the 1 thing everyone loves. its like not liking mangos...we are fuckin weird 

The only person that knows about my asexuality is my best friend. I was extremely confused about my sexuality (or lack thereof) and was trying to figure it out, so I was doing a lot of..."research." I was complaining to her about how gross I found it all, and her reply was, "Maybe you're asexual?"

I stared at her a moment, and then my reply was basically, "Well, shit."

I haven't told my parents or my family yet, and I don't really want to jump that hurdle at the moment. I'm pretty sure my family thinks I'm a lesbian because of how often I've talked about my disinterest in men. They might know deep down, but just not understand, since dating and sex have never really been my thing. (In high school, I was the type of person that stayed home on Friday nights, reading in my bedroom. I still am. I'm introverted as hell and the thought of going to parties sounds about as appealing to me as crawling inside of a sewer.)

A very few people, none of whom have pursued the topic.  That makes me a little sad; I'm mostly willing to answer questions for the curious.  I did blurt it out once to my parents shortly after I learned the term, but it was in a flood of other things I was venting and I'm not sure it registered because they never said anything about it.  They never ask about me dating though, so I think they understand on some level.  They might have a harder time if I tried to explain I no longer see myself as straight, rather than just celibate.  One co-worker, and one old friend that has since dropped out of contact.  That's it.

I'm out to a few friends and my little sister (who I am very close to) and they were all supportive. I am unsure about coming out to my parents, if I do, it probably won't be for a long time.

-People at the LGBT+ org at undergrad

-people at my last job (another person was demi and about 25% of my coworkers were out as non-straight)

-Pretty everyone at pharm school possibly after shouting stuff in the cafeteria.

(I did a poster for ace awareness week, and a month later we had the president of the school give us a boat load of non-answers to address our concerns about future coursework, professors, etc. After getting really pissed off and planning with other people to meet with the local state pharm associations I just yelled in the cafeteria, "I didn't come here to get f/ed over. I'm an asexual, you don't f/ with asexuals." Whoops...)

On 11/28/2017 at 11:43 PM, NoLongerHuman said:

The only person that knows about my asexuality is my best friend. I was extremely confused about my sexuality (or lack thereof) and was trying to figure it out, so I was doing a lot of..."research." I was complaining to her about how gross I found it all, and her reply was, "Maybe you're asexual?"

I stared at her a moment, and then my reply was basically, "Well, shit."

I haven't told my parents or my family yet, and I don't really want to jump that hurdle at the moment. I'm pretty sure my family thinks I'm a lesbian because of how often I've talked about my disinterest in men. They might know deep down, but just not understand, since dating and sex have never really been my thing. (In high school, I was the type of person that stayed home on Friday nights, reading in my bedroom. I still am. I'm introverted as hell and the thought of going to parties sounds about as appealing to me as crawling inside of a sewer.)

It was over 10 years before I worked up enough nerve to tell him earlier this year. I doubt I'll ever mention it to family as my brother and nephew made some comments recently about why would a guy want a adult female friend if they weren't in a relationship. 

14 hours ago, will123 said:

It was over 10 years before I worked up enough nerve to tell him earlier this year. I doubt I'll ever mention it to family as my brother and nephew made some comments recently about why would a guy want a adult female friend if they weren't in a relationship. 

That's stupid! One of my closest friends at the moment is a grown man, and he treats me with the utmost respect. He knows I have a thing about being touched, so he makes sure to avoid physical contact unless I say it's okay. The thought of being in a relationship with him has never even crossed my mind, and I'm sure it never has with him, either.

RandomPerson1996

I have told some friends with only one reacting positively, two reacting negatively and two to three not caring at all. 

I'm coming out very slowly to the people I hope will react well and stop always asking if I have found someone.

I've told my mum, who then told my dad (without my permission, thanks mum). My closest friends back home know as well, but I haven't told anyone at university that I'm aro/ace. I'm not sure why, I used to be so comfortable (maybe I was just around people I was comfortable with, so it wasn't a big deal).

No no one in real life knows. If anyone asks i'll just say I am not interested in sex/intercourse but open to romance. I won't use the "asexual" because chances are they won't know what that is and if they do I don't want stereotypes of what they perceive asexuals to be to be placed on me.

Still no... Not by that term. I have a friend who thinks I'm somewhat queer or lgbt because I had the rainbow flag in my profile. But I did tell him at some point I'm not interested in 'guys'. People here don't really know the term asexual and I have neither the nerve nor the energy to explain it to them and justify myself.

in the past i have to friends. we were all kinda in the lgbt+ community sphere so when it's just stated on our tumblrs at the time it was all normal to us. me being ace was barely ever brought up cause it was normal and such. at the time i thought i was panrom ace... and another friend came out to me as aro. if only id known at the time abt my aroness we coulda started the aro club

currently im not out to anyone. i don't have much of a social life and if i do talk with coworkers or classmates that never comes up. im going to uni at the end of the year and im hoping i can join the lgbt+ society and people in my course/friends i make it'll be okay to be myself. though ive never been an open person so it might just never come up, either way i don't mind

OperationalWolf

Haha no, practically I'm the only Asexual in my School. Plausibly in the whole area. Odd times in Society.

I've told a couple of people, some were totally fine with it, others asked me questions but were super understanding, others didn't believe me and told me there was no such thing as asexuality. But I'm telling more and more people, because I don't want to pretend I'm sexual anymore :)

manly unicorn

Lots of people know. However the reactions tend to be either confusion from not knowing what that really means or minimizing it as something that's bound to change when I "get older" or "meet the right guy". 

34 minutes ago, manly unicorn said:

Lots of people know. However the reactions tend to be either confusion from not knowing what that really means or minimizing it as something that's bound to change when I "get older" or "meet the right guy". 

:(

There are a couple of friends I would tell if it came up, but at the moment I'm not really out to anyone. I don't hide that my (aesthetic) attraction is not limited to the opposite gender and a lot of people should have figured that part out by now, but my lack of sexual interest feels much more private.

I can't really see myself telling my parents. I think my mum would probably understand, but I have doubts about my dad. I wouldn't lie if they asked, but I won't be bringing it up either. I have to say they are pretty awesome for never bugging me or my brother about not really dating. The only comment ever made about it was my grandpa asking my mum if I was a lesbian because I had a close female friend at uni I talked about a lot but had never mentioned a boy.

I haven't told anyone. I know that all of my friends would be supportive about it and this one friend told me that she has two other friends who are asexual and she is bisexual, so I I definitely could tell her about my asexuality but I'm scared. Maybe she would think less of me..? I don't want people to think I'm weird or different. And my parents would probably start worrying about my future because they don't want me to end up alone :D Bottom line is that I'm pretty sensitive and it would suck if people close to me couldn't accept my asexuality because they don't understand it.

I'm afraid to come out. I feel like I'll be supported but I'll be looked down on by my LGBT peers or that they'll see me as subhuman... my parents really want me to get married someday and talk about it often which makes me very uncomfortable. I'm not sure how to explain it either, they're very set in their ways. :( 

On 12/6/2017 at 5:40 PM, mashinchACEr said:

I'm afraid to come out. I feel like I'll be supported but I'll be looked down on by my LGBT peers or that they'll see me as subhuman... my parents really want me to get married someday and talk about it often which makes me very uncomfortable. I'm not sure how to explain it either, they're very set in their ways. :( 

My parents never made any comments about me getting married. They always seemed happy that I was happy for the most part. I've come out to a male childhood friend this year. Not sure if there are many others that I would tell.

Most people don't. Only my closest friends know I'm asexual (the ones who are willing to accept this).

I told my bestfriend bc i trust her and she helped me figure the whole sexuality thing out. I knew she would never judge me. She doesnt always understand but she tries and i think thats most important. I wish i could get the courage to tell my other friends and family.

All of my friends know.

My parents know but they don't seem to really understand

Archived