"Aplatonic"?

otachi

I'm not sure where this topic goes, but I'm putting it on Off-A just in case.

What does the word "aplatonic" actually means? I've seen it being used in a few different contexts:

• Used by aromantic asexual people who don't feel squishes/desire to engage in platonic relationships;
  • Used by people with anti-social personality disorder to say that they aren't able to feel empathy, and thus aren't able to be in platonic relationships (mostly used by self-diagnosed teenagers, so that take with a grain of salt);
  • Used by ace-phobics to mock aromantic asexuals because "you've got no friends, so you're aplatonic".

All of these were seen on Tumblr multiples times.

Moved from Off-A to Romantic and Aromantic Orientations! 

Ricchan Off-A Mod

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

1) If only seen on Tumblr.... That explains so much.

2) But i am assuming that it's taking whatever definition of platonic attraction (depends on the context, but usually experiencing attraction to someone emotionally without romantic &/or sexual attraction/feelings attached or involved) and saying that they don't experience it

3) if actually heard in general, I've never met anyone who uses it. I am aro ace & i have never used it. I think, personally, "aplatonic" or any other prefix added to "platonic" is unnecessary. 

Perissodactyla

I find 'aplatonic' a very curious and somewhat amusing word. ;)

Wondering about it... makes me think of the possibility to randomly generate other curious words which have limited or no meaning beyond seeming like they are actual words having meaning.

a-asexual ==> an asexual who doesn't care about asexual definition and labeling discussions. :)

a-aromantic ==> an aromantic who is weary of discussions of how they're not romantically inclined. ;)

a-platonic ==> people who have no friends and find it painful to imagine entertaining the possibility of having a friend. :)

(sorry if i sound disrespectful, but the question just evoked a very amused, absurdist, comedic response in me.)

I think it's completely unnecessary to turn it into an identity akin to asexuality and aromantic.

Perissodactyla
12 minutes ago, Snao Çoñé said:

I think it's completely unnecessary to turn it into an identity akin to asexuality and aromantic.

That's a good definition of 'a-necessary'. :D

Tiny-Grey-Dinosaurs

I have a question that kinda relates to this. How many squishes do people normally get? Cuz I've talked to someone who says they have like a bunch, but I've only had two in my life... How many do other people have?

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
6 hours ago, AntiSocial-Butterfly said:

I have a question that kinda relates to this. How many squishes do people normally get? Cuz I've talked to someone who says they have like a bunch, but I've only had two in my life... How many do other people have?

That varies based on the person.

I don't get them that often, and even then they don't last very long for me. I've only had 2 or 3 thus far last longer than a month

Tiny-Grey-Dinosaurs
55 minutes ago, SimplyAce said:

That varies based on the person.

I don't get them that often, and even then they don't last very long for me. I've only had 2 or 3 thus far last longer than a month

Okay, thank you. 

Archived