Agender, perimenopausal and low T therapy.

Velma

I have been having a very physically nasty time with going through  menopause. I get severe hot flashes, fatigue -- needing sleep nearly 18 hours a day, weight gain and my face has changed shape to the point where I look at least a decade older than I am, and I'm unrecognizable in photos. I don't have the depression, but I'm getting the mood swings - slight dysthymia to strong hypomania.  I know people who have had rough times, but I don't know anyone who has had such a strong physical change. 

I've been looking up possible causes and saw that my symptoms match those of women with low testosterone levels. It's common to have lower testosterone levels as women age, but a some women sink low enough that they need testosterone therapy.

They tend to be women who had high testosterone levels in their 20s and 30s. Until recently I was very thin with fine features, but always got mistaken for a very feminine man, or a ftm trans. When I was young, I had very boyish features.I've always been VERY hairy (even more than some men.) and my voice has always been nearly an octave below most women. So I think there's a strong chance, I've had a natural high level of T and a, going through withdrawals.

Anyway, when you get a prescription for testosterone, you also get one for estrogen. This serves no medical purpose. It's only to counteract the masculinization -- fat distribution, facial and body hair -- stuff like that. Most women going through menopause are anxious  about feeling less feminine.

For me, it would feel much more normal. I was on estrogen when I was younger because it was an old way to treat severe bleeding menstrual cramps. (another sign of high testosterone levels, oddly enough) It softened my face and I looked much more feminine. Just like now, it got to the point where my face was unrecognizable in photos and the mirrors.  I hated that. I like looking androgynous/slightly masculine. This has never been a problem for me.

Anyway, if I qualify for therapy, I'all try my best not to get the estrogen. I'm wondering what my chances will be. While the estrogen serves no medical purpose, there aren't any major clinical studies of testosterone only therapy. I've heard many doctors are hesitant to allow it. If I don't get to have a go at low T only, I'd see if Id have a better chance if I went through the same therapy and evaluation trans people go through before hormonal or surgical treatments. I've never had gender dysphoria, and until very recently, I've never had body dysphoria. I've had a very positive and satisfying agender life since preschool. Testosterone masculinization would be a great way to physically express who I've always been. 

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with the therapy. I'm assuming if you have, it was with the estrogen. I'd still like to know your experience. If you know someone whose had it, that's good too.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I really sympathise with you @Velma, I'm at that stage in life too, but I haven't had all the symptoms you describe. I had polycystic ovaries in my 20s so my testosterone was sky high, but I've had no flushes or terrible mood swings. I'm ageing visibly though , and I've no intention of taking hormone supplements. Have you tried the menopause cake? there's an online recipe for it and it has natural hormones that are supposed to counteract the effects of menopause. 

I think I'm getting off lightly as I'm almost vegan, I eat loads of chickpeas and tofu, which have phytoestrogens in them, and Iwork out three times a week. Foods are a more natural option than manufactured chemical equivalents. I hope you manage to get some comfort soon, it must be quite unnerving.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a full hysterectomy so instant menopause. I had HRT for a while but when I stopped taking it, instant menopause again! Nasty :( 

• 2 weeks later...
TheLastOfSheila
On 6/3/2017 at 4:37 PM, Tanwen said:

I had a full hysterectomy so instant menopause. I had HRT for a while but when I stopped taking it, instant menopause again! Nasty :( 

Me too, Tanwen.  I was only 48 years old at the time, and like you, instant menopause.  Took the hormone therapy for about a year, then stopped.  Yeah, nasty.

1 hour ago, TheLastOfSheila said:

Me too, Tanwen.  I was only 48 years old at the time, and like you, instant menopause.  Took the hormone therapy for about a year, then stopped.  Yeah, nasty.

None of the gradual run down. One day you have hormones, the next nothing :(

Archived