Where did the "aces love dragons" thing come from?

• 3 months later...

I've read my share of European fairy tales and fantasy. The link is virginity. 

In classic fairy tales and mythology, dragons feed on virgins, or are appeased by the sacrifice of virgins. In greek mythology, Andromeda is offered as Sacrifice to the sea monster Cetus (and saved by Perseus). In some tales it is changed to dragons are attracted to virgins, as for unicorns. There's lots of modern stories using these elements too.

Wether that link was intentional regarding aces or not, I don't know, but that's the background. Dragons are fascinating though, so not complaining.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
James Krieger

Thanks for answering this.

I’m also on the side of dragons are really cool but not the coolest, and fantasy worlds without them are still great. To me, elves are the coolest probably.

I’m surprised 3 different people spelled Weasley wrong. I never got that vibe from him but maybe I should read the Harry Potter books again.

• Like 1
On 11/29/2019 at 7:07 PM, @sof said:

In greek mythology, Andromeda is offered as Sacrifice to the sea monster Cetus (and saved by Perseus).

And then, alas, she becomes not a virgin. That seems to be the plot in many stories.

• 3 months later...
Aven Mindcensor
On 5/25/2017 at 8:38 PM, LuciferBarrio said:

Maybe is because of Charlie Wesley from Harry Potter, he is asexual and loves dragons

Resultado de imagen de charlie weasley asexual

Charles Wesley was the brother of John Wesley who founded the methodist church. Charles wrote a bunch of hymns. 

59 minutes ago, Aven Mindcensor said:

Charles Wesley was the brother of John Wesley who founded the methodist church. Charles wrote a bunch of hymns. 

hmmmm

:P 

• 2 months later...

And here I thought y affinity with and love of dragons was something gifted to me at birth because I was born in the year of the dragon and dragons are just awesome to begin with, but no! It's because I am ace, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
BodhranBace

I think part of it has to do with us being "mythical" and also maybe because, (drumroll)

(fanfare)

KOMODO DRAGONS CAN REPRODUCE ASEXUALY! so that's cool.  

• 3 months later...
ControllerOfDragons

It’s because People discredit us sayin ‘you just haven’t found the right person yet’ so we’re mythical creatures. We are called dragons or sometimes unicorns.

• 3 weeks later...
MyNameMeansLion

I assume because dragons are awesome. They also don't need sex to reproduce, they have eggs. And we never see two dragon parents, so I assume it's done without fertilization. I think it probably also comes from the color scheme of the flag, with purple and black. 

I mean, dragons are badass, so I can see the comparison.

• Like 1
On 11/29/2019 at 5:07 PM, @sof said:

I've read my share of European fairy tales and fantasy. The link is virginity. 

In classic fairy tales and mythology, dragons feed on virgins, or are appeased by the sacrifice of virgins. In greek mythology, Andromeda is offered as Sacrifice to the sea monster Cetus (and saved by Perseus). In some tales it is changed to dragons are attracted to virgins, as for unicorns. There's lots of modern stories using these elements too.

Wether that link was intentional regarding aces or not, I don't know, but that's the background. Dragons are fascinating though, so not complaining.

I guess that's true...

I was just going to say I've no idea, but I myself do love dragons, so I'll take it! I actually call my cat a dragon because she looks a lot like Toothless...

I don't care either way about unicorns, but I highly recommend the book The Last Unicorn. If I remember right, the unicorn does never feel romantic love, so she could be aro at least...

• Like 1
On 2/10/2018 at 12:35 PM, Extroverted Introvert said:

Thanks! I'm learning so much! haha I think that I want to learn more about the spades, hearts, etc. thing.

ace of spades=aromantic ace

ace of hearts=romantic ace

ace of diamonds=demiromantic/demisexual

ace of clubs=gray-a

WoodwindWhistler

I mean I was definitely writing 2 dragon novels in middle school and high school rather than having any idea what a crush was, so. 

Maybe it's just that asexuals are usually super-nerds and dragons are the epitome of nerd culture, so they naturally go together. 

On 5/25/2017 at 10:23 PM, 999papercranes said:

I'm not complaining. Dragons are my spirit animal :D I was obsessed as a kid.

Literally? Because otherkin is a thing. 

On 5/26/2017 at 9:06 PM, Talespin said:

Not quite as awesome as wolves

You are hereby banished. *waves scepter* 

WoodwindWhistler
9 hours ago, an~imperial~votress said:

ace of spades=aromantic ace

ace of hearts=romantic ace

ace of diamonds=demiromantic/demisexual

ace of clubs=gray-a

Eh I think of it more like

ace of diamonds= biromantic

ace of clubs= panromantic

And the a 2 or 3 of spades, hearts, diamond, clubs would be gray and further along the number scale would be demi. 

• 1 year later...

Question about the asexuality dragons since I've only ever seen them in purple: Do they have to be purple since it's one of the ace flag stripes? Or can they be any color? Or can they be colors besides purple as long as they match your orientation's flag (aromantics use green, etc)?

Am I the only one who doesn't like dragons? I think they're overrated but it's just my opinion

3 hours ago, szarlotka said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like dragons? I think they're overrated but it's just my opinion

Not ace so my opinion isn't super relevant, but I feel like if I was I'd be sort of irritated at the connection. I don't get what dragons have to do with asexuality. Neither does my ex, who is asexual. I know a lot of the stereotypes bug him and he doesn't relate.

The French Unicorn
54 minutes ago, Ceebs said:

Not ace so my opinion isn't super relevant, but I feel like if I was I'd be sort of irritated at the connection. I don't get what dragons have to do with asexuality. Neither does my ex, who is asexual. I know a lot of the stereotypes bug him and he doesn't relate.

For what I get, the link was :

Dragons are not real

People say that asexuals are not real

Asexuals are like dragons and they should claim them as a symbol.

I've seen the same thing about unicorns (which, in case you wonder, has nothing to do with my profile picture).

• Like 1
Just now, Frenchace said:

I've seen the same thing about unicorns (which, in case you wonder, has nothing to do with my profile picture).

Yeah there's another (annoying) meaning of the word 'unicorn' in the world of bisexuality as well -- a (generally otherwise single) woman willing to have a threesome with a straight couple. Couples looking for a woman like that on dating apps are referred to as 'unicorn hunters'. 🙄

The French Unicorn
5 minutes ago, Ceebs said:

Yeah there's another (annoying) meaning of the word 'unicorn' in the world of bisexuality as well -- a (generally otherwise single) woman willing to have a threesome with a straight couple. Couples looking for a woman like that on dating apps are referred to as 'unicorn hunters'. 🙄

Well I guess it clears that my profile picture doesn't mean that either.

But yeah that's strange, I would not mike to be referred to as a hunter. But maybe some people like it, what do I know, I don't judge.

I was going to ask why an unicorn, but then I got an idea and I don't really wanna know. 😅

IDK about y'all, but I've always identified closely with dragons bc: 1. I like to sleep all day 2. I like to sunbathe and just lounge in warm places 3. I horde TONS of random treasures and knickknacks 4. I LOVE steak and mutton 5. They prefer to be solitary 6. All of these things are infinitely better than sex or relationships and I know dragons don't give a flick about that either^^

I know my pfp is a unicorn but STILL dragons are PERF

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

250?cb=20181003112140

An old thread I know but I see nothing about Ruth the male asexual white dragon from Anne McCaffrey's PERN series. I have had a Ruth poster from the UK cover artwork on my wall for 30 years before I realized my ace sexuality! 

https://images.app.goo.gl/7UPvMpKoAXJiqFdM7

• 1 month later...
Crystal dragon

I am probably part of the reason

Crystal dragon

I think it’s because people don’t believe in dragons like some people don’t believe in asexuality in all honesty, and people in the community started being like, paying more attention to dragons because of it. In all honesty though, out of myself and the other two aces I personally know, two out of three have dragon obsessions, which is a higher rate then people who I know who aren’t ace. It could also be related to things like, I turn to fantasy novels about dragons when I get sick of YA novels with scenes I don’t want to read. 

It’s far less likely to be brought up in dragon related content from what I’ve seen, just because they aren’t even human. 

Not to mention fantasy is a common interest of plenty of people in general, so I can see aces getting interested in dragons just because they hear other aces are interested in dragons. 

• Like 1
Crystal dragon

I think this actually applies to all mythical creatures, so unicorns, kelpies, wyverns and etc… with the main connection being that some people show the same amount of belief in asexuals that they do in mythical creatures, so it creates a connection between the two. Maybe a sense of fictional community? So It doesn’t have the best known roots for being a stereotype, but most aces I know who like dragons do it just because they are interested in them and not because of the stereotype.

I think the added attention to it really pulls out all the people who like dragons so it makes it seem like every ace likes dragons just because of the amount of attention put on it. 

Those are my theories

• Like 1