Lord Jade Cross

chair jockey

With my bad vision I can't read yellow font on a white background, so I'm responding only to the part of the original post I saw in the Unread Content listing, where the font colour is black.

Enough of any one positive or negative attribute takes away from other attributes. As Nietzsche put it, "Talent is a vampire." What he didn't say is that it's also negative attributes, and not just talents, that have the same effect. There's a certain threshold beyond which whatever you have depletes everything else about you.

God of the Forest
6 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

This isnt based on any research Ive done but its just a casual thing I tend to hear every once in a while. Does a higher development in intelligence actually come at the price of other areas of the brain being affected or the person suffering some limiting condition?

Well, In my opinion there are different types of intelligence. You've got emotional intelligence which can make one intuitive and empathetic but less adept when it comes to logic, and then you've got "book smart" a kind of logical intelligence that makes one good at grasping advanced concepts, concerned with problem solving and data intake but tends to make one wanting in areas of common sense and empathy (social skills are lacking). I dont necessarily think that higher intelligence means that there is an actual condition, but more like; when you spent so much time doing one thing, other things fall behind (like someone who is married to their career often doesnt have time for family, etc) "use it or lose it" so to speak.

Perissodactyla

One approach to explore this notion is to compare the abilities of two species which are similar in many ways, but where one is clearly much more intelligent than the other: chimps and humans.

A chimp could argue that since their cousins evolved to become quite intelligent, they have lost other functions along the way that the chimps retained.

You can think of the obvious examples: strength and agility.

It is not "how you are born" that matters, it is what you do with "how you are born" that matters. My intelligence is supposed to be weakness in social encounters, and I have managed to create a self-mastery system that allows me to be extremely good at social encounters. I still require a lot of practice, but with my intelligence I can handle social encounters with "clear vision regarding what is going on", opposed to most of other people.

Well, the first thing that came to mind, was the correlation between apathy and general emotional distance and the higher the overall intelligence- I find that people with lower levels of intelligence tend to be more emotional- such as in debates. But I also think that it could possibly be because of non-usage as well, smarter people tend to spend oodles of time reading and researching rather than human interaction- whereas that can also be considered a type of intelligence- social intelligence, that is. That example could also be used for the correlation found between video gamers and healthy to harmful levels of apathy and compassion. Physically, I think one could neglect the overall body while developing intelligence-coordination, strength, etc. tend to be a problem in the smarter communities.

Anthracite_Impreza

Depends whether they exercise their other functions I guess. I can reel off a list of taxonomic names as long as a blue whale and ID most cars just from a cursory glance at the roofline or lights, but ask me to make small talk and I'm screwed. I could probably improve, but I have no wish to indulge in such nonsense.

There are multiple types of intelligences as you have mentioned.  Cognitive function, memory, information, perception, proprioception, etc.  By etc. I mean I couldn't write down all the types we have discovered and make time for my birthday in a few years.  Increased Intelligence of a certain kind is not an a diversion of resources to that specific intelligence, it is an increase in the ability to accept and use those resources.  If you increase your reaction speed, your emotional intelligence will not decrease.  

An easy way to think of this is painting two walls with a high viscosity liquid that never bonds with the wall.  If you spend all your time adding layers to one wall, that wall will have many layers, however the other wall will start to drip from neglect.  However it is not that you are developing the one wall that is making the other wall fail, just that you are not painting that wall.  If you sat down and did not paint any walls, the exact same amount of paint from the neglected wall would have dripped down as it would have if you were painting the other wall.  

You can however change your behaviour that could lead to false positives in ability.  If you decide to think before each action, you are not becoming worse at reaction time in exchange for problem solving, you are simply deciding to favour a different approach in your reaction.  That being said, by swapping behaviours, you will inevitably change how often you use the intelligence associated with the previous approach.

chair jockey
3 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

But wasnt Nietzche main philosophy to always aim higher and conquer your surroundings? On a side note, what colors are you able to see better (other than black)? Reading your response made me wonder if the font Im using is making others have a hard time reading it too.

I don't have colour vision problems, so any dark font on a light background or light font on a dark background is fine. When I wrote my own text edtitor in Tkinter I made the background SlateBlue4 and the font Silver. :)

8 hours ago, Jade Cross said:

This isnt based on any research Ive done but its just a casual thing I tend to hear every once in a while. Does a higher development in intelligence actually come at the price of other areas of the brain being affected or the person suffering some limiting condition?

nope

Perissodactyla

Inrelligence!

This is a happy accident new word! What does it MEAN?

Intelligent Religion? (What IF?!) lol

Super trivial cerebral-fact-cluster-matrices that make up one's irrelevant knowledge reservoir which one's intelligence relies upon to self-calibrate in private states of cognitive weirdness with their own computational logic-concept-intution-surrealism upgrades? lol

It's not a zero sum game.  

I don't think having more intelligence really takes away from other attributes, or not significantly.. 

though depending on your environment, and how you fit into it, could lead to intelligence maybe having an indirect effect.. like lets say you only get easy things for you to do your whole life and never have to try hard because you were never challenged and end up never really learning how to work hard or have persistence, or you never really found people you could relate to and your social skills suffered, or other things.. though these aren't directly caused by intelligence, but by not fitting in to your environment and therefore not getting enough practice or learning certain things.. such effects could probably happen by pretty much any trait or ability that is significantly over or under represented in a person... 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Nah, Einstein is a case in point. apart from his teachers thinking he might be slow because he took his time in answering questions, he was fine. His son, however, had serious mental health issues and was of normal intelligence.

• 1 month later...
J. van Deijck

it does make sense to me. 

while my 'scientific' intelligence is much above the average, my emotional intelligence is rather low. I have noticed more cases than just mine, though, so maybe it proves something.

however, it seems that highly intelligent people can deal with difficult situations better since they are likely to find the solution.

Hmm.

I notice (personally) some of this, like I'm generally intelligent (book smarts), but I have a harder time with emotional intelligence. 

Same is true within book smarts, I'm an excellent reader but a (comparatively) poor writer.

But this kind of thing gets muddled. I say I'm a poor writer, but (ignoring certain circumstances) I write on par or better than my classmates. It's only relative to my reading or math that my writing seems poor.

The emotional v book smarts is kinda similar: I can generally fare alright in social situations, but I'm not the best actually kinda bad at reading people. 

I'm not sure intelligence necessitates a discrepancy in some other (mental) function, but it most assuredly makes any discrepancies apparent.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, Jade Cross said:

Extreme rationality creates problems with emotional processing and response to things. People who are overly rational tend to rationalize, detach, prioritize emotions and behavior. Which makes them sometimes appear mechanical even if this type of behavior is helpful in other areas. Same with being overly emotional. It might be greatly beneficial in one area but makes you completely incompetent in other areas. So its like Kirk vs Spock.

No, I don't think so.  We talk  of "emotional intelligence", but that's not intelligence in the usual sense of the word; it's emotional maturity, the ability to relate to others in a mature fashion.   There've been many extremely intelligent scientists and artists who have had satisfactory friend and family relationships, and the stereotype of the supposed genius who can't remember to tie his shoes is just a stereotype.  

Im phretty zure inrelligence disrroys grammar.

In all seriousness, I think it does comes with a price, that being happiness. There are a lot of different types of intelligence but I'm guessing you are referring to the ones that ask for the answers of the universe kind. It is proved that the more intelligent the less happy a person is. Intelligent people (nerdy, science people, philosophers) get depressed a lot more. They tend to be atheists as well.

I prefer not to worry myself about "intelligence" if I can. it's a distracting label and completely misses the point. Do you need to be intellegent to succeed? nope. do you need to be intellegent to be wholesome? nope. do you need to be intelligent to have a family? nope. do you need to be intelligent to be happy? nope.

Very little requires intelligence, except a select few highly-competitive career paths. and anyway - what really is intelligence? It's just a marker we've created to address how some people.. idk.. understand more, more quickly.

Generally speaking on the topic at hand,

Opportunity costs will always limit what can be done.

And, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts - so if you aren't "intelligent", find other things you are and make those stronger instead. they'll more than compensate.

you could claim any skill of mind is intellegent. if you do, then I care a ton about intelligence ;)

From what I've learned, intelligent people come with many different types of brain structure.
I'm a mensa member, I'm also on the autistic spectrum like a large number of others meaning individual areas of my brain are more densely packed but dont have as much interconnection making things like multitasking difficult.  My visual cortex is connected to things it shouldnt be (synaesthesia) and I have a whole list of mental health issues.

So in answer to the question I would say yes - the brains of those who stand out intellectually also suffer in other respects - its a balance.  But that balance can be completely different from person to person.

I also wonder if the missing sexuality is part of that balance :P

Archived