Research on Consenting Non-Monogamy in Relationships (ie Polyamory and other non-monogamous styles)

Heart

Hey everyone! There's a study on relationship dynamics in polyamory. I know that there are poly people here, and so I asked the researchers if they'd like me to post it here, and they said that would be great. So let's get some ace representation in there!

The study is on all consenting-ly non-monogamous relationships (including polyamory, swinging, etc), conducted by a few universities. To be eligible, you have to have more than one romantic and/or sexual partner at this moment (they are specifically studying romantic and sexual relationships, to limit the scope, not because they invalidate platonic relationships). You also have to be 18 years old or older, and speak English fluently. Here's the link, with all of the other details: http://www.uwopolystudy.ca/

I'm excited that there seems to be a new initiative in Canada to study polyamory as a legitimate relationship style, so I want to support this. And it's open to anyone currently in a consentually non-monogamous relationship with at least two other people (and 18+ years old), not just Canadians, so I thought we could get at least a few people from AVEN. I know I'm not the only poly ace around, and the study explicitly lists "dating or sexual relationships with at least two people", so it's open to aces!! (happy dance for inclusion).

I can say from experience that it's a very inclusive survey (it had asexual as an option for sexual orientation, and in the gender list it had "Man (cis or transgender)/ Woman (cis or transgender)/ Genderqueer/Nonbinary/ Agender/ If you feel that your gender is not listed above, please fill in this box:" options. Which is super impressive to me; I really like that trans and cis women and men were in the same category, instead of implying that trans women are not "real" women by giving them their own category (a pet peeve of mine on so many surveys!). They also have a lot of fill-in-the-blanks for in case your gender is not listed etc. It's a well-made survey, and it never left me feeling like none of the options could fit me and my relationships. It has also passed their university's ethics board.

Anywho, if you have time and are eligible, please do fill it out! :cake:

Edit to add: some of the questions on the survey could feel a bit personal, such as asking if you and a partner share finances (eg do you pay bills together?). These questions are of a standard style in Canadian relationship surveys (or at least, I've seen them before), but I can understand if they feel invasive. If you feel uncomfortable, know that you can always leave a question unanswered. You can also give fake initials for your partners; they ask for each partner's initials so that you can keep track of which one you're talking about (they bounce back and forth throughout the survey), but it has no other bearing on the survey than to remind you which partner they're asking about. If you feel uncomfortable about it, I'd suggest putting in fake initials and writing on a piece of paper for yourself which one is which partner. Otherwise, it does get a bit hard to keep track.

Arctangent

I came into this thread expecting that it would be the same survey that I took recently, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it's a different one! I'm glad to see that consensual non-monogamy appears to be getting some interest from researchers right now. Thanks for posting this, Heart. :)

No problem! As a scientist myself, it always excites me when I see issues close to my heart getting real scientific study ^_^

Archived