Vegan News

The Dryad

18 hours ago, Chihiro said:

Hey! I care about milk free products. 

But milk is awesome! :( no you get to choose for yourself :D

Did anyone see VeganGains'  new video, the one about him getting his weapons back? HIS WIFE IS THE WORST. Why use the n-word towards your husband, the more I see of her the more I don't like her.

Also, did anyone hear about that EU potential "meat" label ban on vegan products? Like they tried to do with milk not too long ago....and Just Mayo.

A word to the wise: it's generally better to stay as far away from vegan YouTube as possible, or at least the big-name vegan YouTubers. (In my opinion)

@The Dryad I heard about something like that. Wasn't that in Germany? And the milk thing is still going on, isn't it?

Just now, Zosia said:

A word to the wise: it's generally better to stay as far away from vegan YouTube as possible, or at least the big-name vegan YouTubers. (In my opinion)

@The Dryad I heard about something like that. Wasn't that in Germany? And the milk thing is still going on, isn't it?

Eh, vegan YouTube is pretty entertaining, but I never expected that!

I think it was in Germany as well, no they called off the milk thing and the Mayo thing, if you guys don't know Hellman's sued Just Mayo for not having eggs, lost the suit, then released a vegan mayo.

Just now, The Dryad said:

I don't know if I would call it entertaining...it's more like a bunch of stir-crazy monkeys in a zoo slinging crap at each other and pounding their chests. At best it's embarrassing...at worst, I don't know what I'd call it.

Just now, Zosia said:

I don't know if I would call it entertaining...it's more like a bunch of stir-crazy monkeys in a zoo slinging crap at each other and pounding their chests. At best it's embarrassing...at worst, I don't know what I'd call it.

I avoid Freelee and Durianrider like the plague, Gary is too much, so I guess I don't watch the people most people do then?

3 hours ago, ThaHoward said:

But milk is awesome! :( no you get to choose for yourself :D

Chocolate cashew milk is where it's at. ;)

Anthracite_Impreza

Question, can vegans eat dark chocolate? My mate says he can't eat chocolate cos unless it's 100% cocoa it's probably got dairy in it.

11 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Question, can vegans eat dark chocolate? My mate says he can't eat chocolate cos unless it's 100% cocoa it's probably got dairy in it.

Yep, we/they can:) usually ones with very high amount if cocoa are vegan, because they tend to not have milk. (I tend to buy semi-sweet choco chips though, it doesn't have dairy (usually) and not as bitter as really dark chocolate.)

There are several brands you can Google and are easy to find. There's one at Aldi I used to get for pretty cheap....

Anthracite_Impreza
8 minutes ago, The Dryad said:

Yep, we/they can:) usually ones with very high amount if cocoa are vegan, because they tend to not have milk. (I tend to buy semi-sweet choco chips though, it doesn't have dairy (usually) and not as bitter as really dark chocolate.)

There are several brands you can Google and are easy to find. There's one at Aldi I used to get for pretty cheap....

Oh don't worry, I eat no chocolate but dark chocolate, I already have my sources ;) Asda's own brand is alright, but if finances are available I go for the posh ones with gold lettering :P

1 hour ago, The Dryad said:

I think it was in Germany as well, no they called off the milk thing and the Mayo thing, if you guys don't know Hellman's sued Just Mayo for not having eggs, lost the suit, then released a vegan mayo.

That's not a little bit hilarious. How does an entire group of people get to thinking they can sue another company for their ingredients?

3 minutes ago, Moophie said:

That's not a little bit hilarious. How does an entire group of people get to thinking they can sue another company for their ingredients?

Well.... probably because they're the power holders in the "mayo" world. Like everything else in life if you hold the majority of power you can make people bend to your will. However, they lost this time, so yay!

Well.... probably because they're the power holders in the "mayo" world. Like everything else in life if you hold the majority of power you can make people bend to your will. However, they lost this time, so yay!

Or applies a veil of stupidity, perhaps? Srsly, like most companies would be happy another company isn't trying to copy their product. XD

Also, yay!

Just made this tonight. Everybody needs a good pancake recipe in their arsenal, right?  :)

VEGAN PANCAKE RECIPE:

(Makes about 8 pancakes which are around 6-1/2 inches in diameter, and 1/2 inch thick)

Dry Ingredients:

2 cups of flour(*)

2 tablespoons of baking powder

1/2 teaspoon of salt

4 tablespoons of sugar(*) or other sweetener

1/2 teaspoon of cloves or other spices (optional)

Wet Ingredients:

2 cups of plant milk or water

4 tablespoons of non-dairy butter/margarine, vegetable oil, or coconut oil (you might also be able to use apple sauce or bananas if you prefer)

2 teaspoons of vanilla

Mix the ingredients until almost all the lumps are dissolved. Pour into pan and wait until bubbles form on the top, then flip and enjoy!

I've found that these freeze really well, also. Just make sure that you let the pancakes cool completely before you put them in a bag otherwise they will develop condensation, become soggy, then extra frosty in the freezer, and soggy again when you heat them up. They should go in the microwave for about a minute to a minute and a half (depending on your microwave). If you nuke them too long, they get really chewy and tough. You might also be able to put them in the toaster, but I haven't tried that yet.

(*)Depending on what country you live in, wheat flour and white sugar are often processed/purified using bone char. Since I live in the U.S. where this is common, I use whole wheat flour and raw sugar, but this might not be an issue in your country. I hear it is less of a problem in European countries. The actual bone char is not found in the end product, it's just used in the processing, and only some companies use it.

I use the vegan pancake recipe from Allrecipes, but instead of water I use coconut milk, and instead of plain sugar I use brown raw sugar :) but that recipe also looks good, I want waffles now, though...

9 minutes ago, The Dryad said:

I want waffles now, though...

I have a recipe for that, too.  ;)

I've been thinking of posting my grandmother's recipe for Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls, since amazingly the recipe is vegan in it's original form. But, the recipe makes so, so many rolls. Like, enough to feed an army. I would have to go through and do some math (ugh, math) to reduce the recipe. Halving it wouldn't be enough. And I don't know if I would want to post a personal recipe like that publicly on the Internet (probably a lame reason, but...anyway...). I wouldn't mind sharing it privately, though. I would share it in it's original form, because I'm terrible at math and don't want to struggle reducing it. If anybody is interested, let me know. :)

Just now, Zosia said:

I have a recipe for that, too.  ;)

I've been thinking of posting my grandmother's recipe for Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls, since amazingly the recipe is vegan in it's original form. But, the recipe makes so, so many rolls. Like, enough to feed an army. I would have to go through and do some math (ugh, math) to reduce the recipe. Halving it wouldn't be enough. And I don't know if I would want to post a personal recipe like that publicly on the Internet (probably a lame reason, but...anyway...). I wouldn't mind sharing it privately, though. I would share it in it's original form, because I'm terrible at math and don't want to struggle reducing it. If anybody is interested, let me know. :)

Yes! Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes. I'm interested!!!! I'm thinking of veganizing my grandma's tea cake recipe, southern tea cakes are something else entirely though- kinda like a cookie-scone. Wish me luck on that one.

Yes! Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes. I'm interested!!!! I'm thinking of veganizing my grandma's tea cake recipe, southern tea cakes are something else entirely though- kinda like a cookie-scone. Wish me luck on that one.

It's kind of a long and complicated recipe and it takes a lot of time because you have to make everything (even the dough) from scratch--are you sure you want it?

That tea cake sounds so good. :o:P

On 5/26/2017 at 7:37 PM, euco said:

I will follow this recipe this weekend. Thank you!

Did the pancakes work out well for you? (Just curious) :)

Anybody have any good book recommendations about vegetarianism/veganism/animal rights? I'm almost done with this book (below). It's really interesting if you're looking to learn about the history of vegetarianism/animal rights in the western world. It was written in 1883. On one hand, it shows that there is a long history of ethical vegetarianism and that there were many great people who championed it, which can help to validate a person's feelings on the matter and make them feel like they aren't alone and that they are a part of a larger history and community. On the other hand, it shows that we've been struggling with the same old things for a long time and still haven't really changed how society views and treats animals. It gives examples of the same old arguments that we still hear today--there was a letter in there from the 1600's from one meat-eater to his vegetarian friend which basically said, "But our canines, tho!" There was someone else from the 1700's who was trying to combat the argument that because animals in the wild act violently towards each other and eat each other without remorse, why can't humans do the same? It's discouraging to see these same arguments being used over and over and over again hundreds of years later. The author of the book had predicted that by the year 2000, most, if not everyone, would be vegetarian. He said the people of our time would be their "enlightened descendants". He seemed very hopeful; he detailed that there were "reformed restaurants" that didn't serve meat even back then in 1883, and these "reformers" would gather together there and talk about their ethical beliefs and philosophies. I think they would be severely disappointed if they could see how we treat animals now. But, saying all that, it's a good read.

9780252071300_lg.jpg

"Now we can join Gandhi and Tolstoy and nameless others who encountered this vigorous and invigorating book. Welcome to a company of radicals who believed we could and should stop eating non-human animals. They brought vegetarianism out of history and into the here and now. Ethical vegetarianism is no recent development, as this unrivaled historical anthology dramatizes. When it was first published 120 years ago, countless people read and endorsed The Ethics of Diet. But then it became a rare book, hard to find even in libraries. For countless more readers, it is at last available again. In this classic of vegetarian writing, Howard Williams presents a line of thought, a continuous thread, a tradition, a catena of protestation against living on “Butchery.” What he finds striking is the variety of the witnesses, the prophets of “Reformed Dietetics” who have “shrunk from the régime of blood,” including Gautama Buddha, Pythagoras, Plato, Hesiod, Epicurus, Seneca, Ovid, Thomas More, Montaigne, Mandeville, Pope, Voltaire, Swedenborg, Wesley, Rousseau, Shelley, Byron, Lamar-tine, Michelet, Bentham, Sinclair, Schopenhauer, and Thoreau. Their words are accompanied by the vigorous narrative voice of Williams himself, who put to rest, once and for all, the idea that vegetarianism is a fad."

Hmm, personally I haven't read and vegan/vegetarian books on ethics yet, besides this one book by Joanne Stepaniak "The Vegan Sourcebook", which is pretty much like a textbook, it goes a bit into everything, nutrients and macronutrients, diet, convienence, and there are some recipes in the back of the book, plus ethics- from what I remember, the ethics section was pretty short and simple. Right now, I'm looking into Doreen Virtue's "Eating in the Light" , and this biblical intersection by Sarah Withrow King "Vegangelical",(it's published by zondervan which made me pretty excited because it's a famous Bible company). Dr. Sebi is pretty controversial, and I kinda don't like him, however, I'm really interested in his diet practices, so I've been watching some of the people who follow his electric/alkaline diet, and it looks relatively easy (and gluten free, my stomach doesn't like too much gluten). Does anyone else not like Dr. sebi, but kinda like his diet??? Any thoughts about Dr. Sebi?

I haven't heard of those books...the only book that I've read that promoted veganism/animal rights in a religious light was Dominion by Matthew Scully (I think he's a Catholic and a vegan, if that makes a difference). It was really good (he's such a good writer in my opinion). The only two things that I would critique about that book would be that his writing style is a little too flowery in some unnecessary places (like when giving statistics), and he was criticizing Peter Singer about two-thirds of the way through the book (I don't like Peter Singer personally, I think there's a lot to criticize him about). But, I just thought that critique of him was out-of-place because he wasn't really talking about Peter Singer's views on animal rights, just his views on other subjects. While unrelated to the subject discussed in the book, the author Matthew Scully has been affiliated with certain politicians that some people might find objectionable--namely, Scully was a speech writer for George W. Bush and Sarah Palin, among others. Soooo...that might put some people off, but that doesn't have anything to do with what he says in the book.

0312319738.01._SX450_SY635_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.--Genesis 1:24-26 In this crucial passage from the Old Testament, God grants mankind power over animals. But with this privilege comes the grave responsibility to respect life, to treat animals with simple dignity and compassion. Somewhere along the way, something has gone wrong. In Dominion, we witness the annual convention of Safari Club International, an organization whose wealthier members will pay up to $20,000 to hunt an elephant, a lion or another animal, either abroad or in American "safari ranches," where the animals are fenced in pens. We attend the annual International Whaling Commission conference, where the skewed politics of the whaling industry come to light, and the focus is on developing more lethal, but not more merciful, methods of harvesting "living marine resources." And we visit a gargantuan American "factory farm," where animals are treated as mere product and raised in conditions of mass confinement, bred for passivity and bulk, inseminated and fed with machines, kept in tightly confined stalls for the entirety of their lives, and slaughtered in a way that maximizes profits and minimizes decency. Throughout Dominion, Scully counters the hypocritical arguments that attempt to excuse animal abuse: from those who argue that the Bible's message permits mankind to use animals as it pleases, to the hunter's argument that through hunting animal populations are controlled, to the popular and "scientifically proven" notions that animals cannot feel pain, experience no emotions, and are not conscious of their own lives. The result is eye opening, painful and infuriating, insightful and rewarding. Dominion is a plea for human benevolence and mercy, a scathing attack on those who would dismiss animal activists as mere sentimentalists, and a demand for reform from the government down to the individual. Matthew Scully has created a groundbreaking work, a book of lasting power and importance for all of us." (Description from Amazon)

Here's a quote from the book that I like a lot: "I know that they do not have reason comparable to ours. I know that their lives and place and purpose in the world are different from ours. I know that theirs is an often violent world....But I also know that whatever their place and purpose among us might be, it is a mysterious one beyond any man's power to know. Whatever measure of happiness their Creator intended for them, it is not something to be taken lightly by us, not to be withdrawn from them wantonly or capriciously." --Matthew Scully

I would recommend this book, also.

The Dryad--maybe you (or other people?) will be interested in this:

Yeah, I saw "Dominion" earlier, I'm thinking about reading it, especially because the author is known for not being a typical animal rights activist. While I'm not familiar with Scully, I'm not sure about him being a speech righter for Palin and Bush *shivers. But I'm still interested in the book, nonetheless. I'm also not familiar with Singer, and I still haven't read "Animal Liberation" yet, but personally I don't like people who attack other people's ideals- let me explain. Unless, the idea is so crazy and "out there", and it doesn't promote harm, it has some merit-methinks. Peter Singer is well-known for kinda being the father of the modern day animal rights fight, and Scully obviously has some merit as well, but I'm inferring that he leans more to the right than the left....which is interesting.*rant warning* Urg. I just don't understand the right wing, especially those who proclaim themselves as being pro-progress. The very definition of the right is conservation, which is why so many old, white, racist men are in that party. I just don't understand. No! What I don't understand is people who aren't white, old and male in right wing parties! Why. Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy. Urg. *Rant over, it's safe to come out now*

11 hours ago, Zosia said:

The Dryad--maybe you (or other people?) will be interested in this:

I'm so in love with this. Pretty much the whole reason I'm vegan is because I love animals and Christian; I believe in the return to "Eden", so to speak. If one reads Genesis in the Bible, God tells us what to eat- basically fruit, nuts and seeds- a duet if non-interference both towards animals and the plants themselves. “And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” —Genesis 1:30

And the prophecies for the future, “The wolf and the lamb shall feed together; the lion shall eat straw like an ox; but the serpent—its food shall be dust! They shall not hurt or destroy on all my holy mountain.” —Isaiah 65:25

So yeah.

I found some more resources that people might be interested in so I thought that I would share. :)

Has anybody heard of the organization "In Defense of Animals"? I just found out about them...I don't know much of anything about them, but I will be researching them. It *seems like* they are a promising organization...from what I've seen, they have many resources for those who are already vegan. For instance:

Here's a helpline for activists who are feeling overwhelmed by their advocacy: https://www.idausa.org/campaign/sustainable-activism/animal-activist-helpline/

Here's a list of their events: https://idausa.org/campaign/sustainable-activism/events/

Here's a playlist of their Sustainable Activism Webinars: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoF5qlifvW6GKn3t-d_ax1O4vGoXSkDbz

Here's a playlist of their Vegan Spirituality Webinars: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoF5qlifvW6HW2ZZyX4VqZBiANm_ldRM7

If anybody else looks into them, or already knows something about them, I'd be curious to know what you have to say.

Perissodactyla

We all know that cows are regarded as sacred in India due to Hindu, Jain and Buddhist traditions.

Today there is an article about the ban on cow slaughter in many parts of India and the controversy around that, since India has large populations who do NOT regard the cow as sacred, but as food.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-40116811

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Oh, great! A forum for Vegans. My daughter has been vegan for months and she is feeling the benefit, myself, I've been vegetarian for most of my life and in the last few years, the only dairy I have is a splash of milk in my coffee (and that is slowly being replaced with nut milk). Unfortunately, i have found soya cheesecake, but that's another story!

I think the problems with charities in general, is that they can become like 'big business' and lose real sight of why they exist.

Certainly, it wouldn't be a good thing to 'free' every domesticated animal to the possibility of a hard, diseased, starving life on the streets. Some well meaning people freed Mink from fur farms some years ago in the UK, now they're being rounded up because, as an alien species, they have caused untold damage to native wildlife. I think a neutering campaign would be better, and not seeing animals as 'objects of desire', which encourages puppy farms etc.

20 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Oh, great! A forum for Vegans. My daughter has been vegan for months and she is feeling the benefit, myself, I've been vegetarian for most of my life and in the last few years, the only dairy I have is a splash of milk in my coffee (and that is slowly being replaced with nut milk). Unfortunately, i have found soya cheesecake, but that's another story!

I think the problems with charities in general, is that they can become like 'big business' and lose real sight of why they exist.

Certainly, it wouldn't be a good thing to 'free' every domesticated animal to the possibility of a hard, diseased, starving life on the streets. Some well meaning people freed Mink from fur farms some years ago in the UK, now they're being rounded up because, as an alien species, they have caused untold damage to native wildlife. I think a neutering campaign would be better, and not seeing animals as 'objects of desire', which encourages puppy farms etc.

As a pointed out before, freeing all the animals is an idealistic opinion, it's not meant to be a realistic application, neither is not having a companion animal. It's simply a vision, neither completely beautiful nor completely ugly. Of course I know the reality of these things to have actually formed idealistic versions of these arguments. But also welcome. :)

On June 3, 2017 at 9:57 AM, chandrakirti said:

Welcome! :) I agree with your statement on large "animal rights" organizations--that's one of the reasons why I'm so hesitant to back them/support them or recommend them, in addition to my disgust for some of their campaigns, not to mention many of the other things they've done. I also wouldn't put it past some of them to piece together the worst footage they could find to paint the whole industry as a bunch of sadists. I'm not a fan of animal agricultural at all, but I don't think that lying to people and manipulating them with shock tactics does anyone any good. (That's not to say that footage can't be useful, I just think that some organizations overdramatize it sometimes). I dunno, just my two cents.

Archived