Vegan News

The Dryad

Where the vegan population of AVEN can share news with each other, scientific, recipes, vegan breakthroughs, etc.

America's Test Kitchen has a vegan cookbook out!!!! I want it so bad!

God of the Forest

Did you see the debate between VeganGains and RoamingMillenial?

Due to the focus of discussing breakthroughs and the scientific side, I'm moving this from Off-A to PPS. The land of sitting under trees, waiting for apples to drop on our heads (so we can then put them in a lovely -vegan- apple crumble).

Ricchan Off-A Mod.

17 hours ago, King of the Forest said:

ONG YES IT WAS SO EPIC!  I was waiting for him to just tear into her stupidity and ignorance, she had zero argument! I know vegans can be mean, but that's because we're passionate and angry, I know it's not synonymous, but Civil Rights activists were called out because of their anger as well, but they still got stuff done, just think of Peta, they're controversial and angry, but they've spread veganism like no other. I hate when people attack veganism because of anger or "you're being mean to me".

God of the Forest
8 minutes ago, The Dryad said:

ONG YES IT WAS SO EPIC!  I was waiting for him to just year into her stupidity and ignorance.

Lol his wife was telling him to calm down in the background

Just now, King of the Forest said:

Lol his wife was telling him to calm down in the background

Lol, Richard is the best though, people ought to appreciate him more, though I do admit his knife welding days were a bit much XD.

God of the Forest
Just now, The Dryad said:

Lol, Richard is the best though, people ought to appreciate him more, though I do admit his knife welding days were a bit much XD.

hehe, yeah I felt bad though, he was really really mean to her in a way he wasn't with Bearing

2 minutes ago, King of the Forest said:

hehe, yeah I felt bad though, he was really really mean to her in a way he wasn't with Bearing

Richard definitely has anger issues in general though, but he's getting help; I can only speculate but I think he was being so mean to her because of the frustration with RoamingMillenial , I've watched some of their other videos together and they seem sweet together, honestly I was shocked he had a girlfriend then they got married.

I'm not vegan but I do try to reduce the amount of meat I eat.  I have successfully cut out red meat from my diet and when I move to my own place I think I'll try going pescetarian again.  For now, I'm just reducing the amount of poultry I eat and working my way back to it and I might end up vegan eventually (but I'd rather it be a slow process where I find out what works then something I jump into without finding out how to deal with new vitamin/mineral dilemmas).

Also I don't think PETA is a good thing to align with personally.  The controversy with them is that they kill animals too but they do it in the name of "animal rights".  I just don't like hypocritical organizations that say "meat is murder" one day and then turn around and put dogs in a freezer.

32 minutes ago, Kisa the Cat said:

Also I don't think PETA is a good thing to align with personally.  The controversy with them is that they kill animals too but they do it in the name of "animal rights".  I just don't like hypocritical organizations that say "meat is murder" one day and then turn around and put dogs in a freezer.

I love Peta, I have for awhile, and the animals they kill? They're suffering beings, with their faces half rotten from bring eaten off, from being run over, dying of tumorous cancers, etc. Peta does a lot more good than the credit that they get because people are constantly trying to discredit their work, and therefore discredit veganism.

Anthracite_Impreza

PETA are definitely not good, they kill healthy dogs to 'save' then from being loved pets.

18 minutes ago, The Dryad said:

I love Peta, I have for awhile, and the animals they kill? They're suffering beings, with their faces half rotten from bring eaten off, from being run over, dying of tumorous cancers, etc. Peta does a lot more good than the credit that they get because people are constantly trying to discredit their work, and therefore discredit veganism.

https://www.consumerfreedom.com/2016/03/petas-pet-killing-claimed-1456-victims-in-2015/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/11/peta-virginia-shelter-killed-88-of-rescued-pets-l/

PETA is filled with animal killers who then turn around and yell at you for eating cheeseburgers.  At least I don't kill healthy dogs and cats for no reason.

Also I don't equate PETA with veganism.  I equate PETA with "showy veganism".  Showy veganism are the vegans (or "vegans") who use their status as vegans to be assholes to others.

7 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

PETA are definitely not good, they kill healthy dogs to 'save' then from being loved pets.

http://www.peta.org/features/deadly-consequences-no-kill-policies/

http://www.peta.org/blog/euthanize/

http://www.peta.org/issues/companion-animal-issues/animal-shelters/kill-label-slowly-killing-animals/

Peta definitely has problems, but I generally agree with,and like them- do I have a general problem with killing animals yes, especially in shelters, a better way for life is probably to let them go wild and return to being feral- I think all domesticated animals should be set loose this way, and I don't agree with Peta's decision to kill amimals-especially because of the shelter issue, however I can see why they have to make the decision they do- the goal is to have less animals suffering, and if they are already dying and unwanted, end their suffering, it's so sad and yes, wrong, but a reality. The world isn't black and white and not everything I agree with is pure, but I still have to say I like Peta, because where did you first learn about animal Rights? Who introduced you to veganism? When you think of a vegan organization who do you think of? They made veganism a household topic, and I have to respect them for that.

1 minute ago, The Dryad said:

http://www.peta.org/issues/companion-animal-issues/animal-shelters/kill-label-slowly-killing-animals/

Peta definitely has problems, but I generally agree with,and like them- do I have a general problem with killing animals yes, especially in shelters, a better way for life is probably to let them go wild and return to being feral- I think all domesticated animals should be set loose this way, and I don't agree with Peta's decision to kill amimals-especially because of the shelter issue, however I can see why they have to make the decision they do- the goal is to have less animals suffering, and if they are already dying and unwanted, end their suffering, it's so sad and yes, wrong, but a reality. The world isn't black and white and not everything I agree with is pure, but I still have to say I like Peta, because where did you first learn about animal Rights? Who introduced you to veganism? When you think of a vegan organization who do you think of? They made veganism a household topic, and I have to respect them for that.

I first learned of veganism in a cookbook not related to PETA.  I was looking into being vegetarian and I had a vegetarian friend.

When I think of a vegan organization I don't really think of any organizations because...why would you need one?  I don't think PETA is a vegan organization, I think PETA is a group of radical animal rights activists who are hypocritical and hurt their cause more than they help.

2 minutes ago, Kisa the Cat said:

When I think of a vegan organization I don't really think of any organizations because...why would you need one?  I don't think PETA is a vegan organization, I think PETA is a group of radical animal rights activists who are hypocritical and hurt their cause more than they help.

I actually agree to an extent, especially old Peta, but they have changed within recent years. I have other organizations I follow as well (Mercy for Animals, Compassion over Killing, VegNews) but I still respect Peta as well, sorry if that's annoying, or blasphemous- for years I was also against Peta, but the work that they've done cannot be comparable to any other source. When I first went vegetarian, I meant to begin with veganism through the sources I found on Peta- especially their undercover footage, then I went onto YouTube and found Freelee, got scared, and ran to vegetarianism, but Peta was always there to fill me in with news, or footage, or products that were no longer vegan, as well as animals they rehabilitated, I know people say "Peta kills more animals than they save", but the intention is also important, it isn't a Holocaust, although I agree that it's unfair to the animals, Peta has to answer for it, not me.

God of the Forest
2 hours ago, Kisa the Cat said:

I'm not vegan but I do try to reduce the amount of meat I eat.  I have successfully cut out red meat from my diet and when I move to my own place I think I'll try going pescetarian again.  For now, I'm just reducing the amount of poultry I eat and working my way back to it and I might end up vegan eventually (but I'd rather it be a slow process where I find out what works then something I jump into without finding out how to deal with new vitamin/mineral dilemmas).

As long as youre healthy ^_^ 

Anthracite_Impreza
8 hours ago, The Dryad said:

Most domestic animals wouldn't survive in the wild, and if they did they'd screw up the ecosystem like cats, pigs and goats already do on islands. I work in a dog shelter, most of our dogs are adopted within a few months, only one has been in longer than a year (which yes, is upsetting, and I wish someone would have him because he's bloody lovely once he gets to know you). But still, most rescues will find a home in not too long.

I never had to learn about animal rights, I believed in them since I knew what animals were, I learnt about veganism from my friend (who incidentally despises PETA), and I don't tend to think of vegan organisations at all, I literally just think of my friend cos he's the only one I know.

Skycaptain

So long as we remember that PETA are, along with the (maybe now defunct (I haven't heard of them lately)) Animal Liberation Front, at the extreme end of the movement. They just make me want to eat a raw steak right under their noses. 

Most people who avoid meat and animal products prefer the interactive approach, showing how good alternatives can be 

I guess I'll jump in here, if that's okay...

On 5/16/2017 at 0:56 AM, King of the Forest said:

On 5/16/2017 at 5:56 PM, The Dryad said:

ONG YES IT WAS SO EPIC!  I was waiting for him to just tear into her stupidity and ignorance, she had zero argument! I know vegans can be mean, but that's because we're passionate and angry, I know it's not synonymous, but Civil Rights activists were called out because of their anger as well, but they still got stuff done, just think of Peta, they're controversial and angry, but they've spread veganism like no other. I hate when people attack veganism because of anger or "you're being mean to me".

I had heard a few snippets of information about it through the grapevine, but I tend to stay as far away from vegan YouTube as possible. It seems to be (more often than not) a cesspool of drama and a whole bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning. VeganGains, in my opinion, is one of the worst offenders.

I also don't really see the appeal of these kinds of videos designed to tear the other side to shreds. Alright, I get that Millenial's arguments weren't the strongest, and I don't agree with a lot of what she said. But, I often see vegans try to rub the other side's face in their mistakes which I don't think is helpful, kind, or productive. That's not to say that nice, respectful, and educating video responses can't be made. Just...if the discussion/debate/disagreement (whatever you want to call it) becomes stagnant and neither side is gaining anything from the other, why can't we just move on? Do we really have to get the last word in? And I think that an audience is also partially responsible for these kinds of videos, too (in a way). If these content creators weren't being egged on by their viewers to "stick it" to the other side, and they knew they weren't going to get many views, these kinds of berating videos wouldn't be made (or at least, hopefully not as much or as often?). And I often see the creators using "but it's for the animals!" as a justification for their harsh behavior towards others, when I often think that it might just be more about their own egos, pride, and their image than anything. **And I want to be clear here that I'm not talking about the kinder, respectful responses disagreeing with what the other side has to say--I think those are okay. This is also not to say that we can't be angry about the injustice that is inflicted on animals, because god knows I get really angry about that also, but lets try our absolute best not to take it out on one another.

I think that we should all try to be more kind and compassionate to one another, and this is something I also hope to try and do, too. Although, I know that in the past, I've failed on this front. Lets learn from our mistakes and move on.

On 5/16/2017 at 6:57 PM, Kisa the Cat said:

Yeah, PETA is absolutely awful. I mean, even if we were to say that the accusations that they killed otherwise perfectly healthy animals were just rumors, they still have countless insensitive, hurtful, degrading and just plain stupid campaigns and ads that they've run. They've thrown marginalized groups under the bus and appropriated the suffering of others to further their own aims, they've made so, so many horrible remarks and comparisons, they've done so many godawful things...I could go on and on. They are definitely not a group someone wants to align themselves with, as you said.

On 5/16/2017 at 7:51 PM, The Dryad said:

Setting a bunch of domesticated animals free out into the wild sounds like a catastrophe waiting to happen. Not only for the existing ecosystem, but for the animals themselves. You really think that they have the ability to survive on their own after having been pets or farm animals all their lives? You call a dog or a cat struggling to live out in the wild a more humane option than living in someone's home as a companion animal?

I never went to PETA for any information regarding animal rights. I developed my views on animal rights through contemplating the subject over a long period of time and gathering, comparing, and contrasting tidbits of information about it from other sources. And I'm still developing my opinion on it even after 7 or 8 years of not eating meat, and after having been a vegan myself for a little over a year. I have a hard time pointing to any one source and saying, "Yep, they've got it all right, I'm behind what they have to say 100%". PETA is not the sole authority on animal rights or veganism. They didn't introduce me to veganism in any way. I've never really used their resources (like undercover videos, product lists, etc.) that they have on their site, either. There are so many other places to access similar shreds of information. When I think of a vegan organization, I think of The Vegan Society because their founder was the one to coin the term "vegan", and it's their definition that I use. Theirs is the oldest officially vegan group (as far as I know); they were founded in 1944 versus PETA which was founded in 1980. I don't think that vegans need to associate, join, or align themselves with any group to be "real vegans". As long as they aren't using, purchasing, or consuming animals products as far as is possible and practicable for them, they're vegan+. I doubt that PETA made veganism a household topic--I think that the Internet had a large part to do with making information more available.

Anyway...I'm talking too much...

In other news, is anybody else ecstatic that Scary Yourofsky retired recently?

God of the Forest
50 minutes ago, Zosia said:

Who?.. Oh you mean Vegan Nazi? Yeah 

16 minutes ago, King of the Forest said:

Who?.. Oh you mean Vegan Nazi? Yeah 

I can't believe he's retiring...doesn't seem like him at all.

God of the Forest
1 minute ago, The Dryad said:

I can't believe he's retiring...doesn't seem like him at all.

He probably found a buddist temple that would take him

1 hour ago, Zosia said:

I guess I'll jump in here, if that's okay...

I had heard a few snippets of information about it through the grapevine, but I tend to stay as far away from vegan YouTube as possible. It seems to be (more often than not) a cesspool of drama and a whole bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning. VeganGains, in my opinion, is one of the worst offenders.

I also don't really see the appeal of these kinds of videos designed to tear the other side to shreds. Alright, I get that Millenial's arguments weren't the strongest, and I don't agree with a lot of what she said. But, I often see vegans try to rub the other side's face in their mistakes which I don't think is helpful, kind, or productive. That's not to say that nice, respectful, and educating video responses can't be made. Just...if the discussion/debate/disagreement (whatever you want to call it) becomes stagnant and neither side is gaining anything from the other, why can't we just move on? Do we really have to get the last word in? And I think that an audience is also partially responsible for these kinds of videos, too (in a way). If these content creators weren't being egged on by their viewers to "stick it" to the other side, and they knew they weren't going to get many views, these kinds of berating videos wouldn't be made (or at least, hopefully not as much or as often?). And I often see the creators using "but it's for the animals!" as a justification for their harsh behavior towards others, when I often think that it might just be more about their own egos, pride, and their image than anything. **And I want to be clear here that I'm not talking about the kinder, respectful responses disagreeing with what the other side has to say--I think those are okay. This is also not to say that we can't be angry about the injustice that is inflicted on animals, because god knows I get really angry about that also, but lets try our absolute best not to take it out on one another.

I think that we should all try to be more kind and compassionate to one another, and this is something I also hope to try and do, too. Although, I know that in the past, I've failed on this front. Lets learn from our mistakes and move on.

Yeah, PETA is absolutely awful. I mean, even if we were to say that the accusations that they killed otherwise perfectly healthy animals were just rumors, they still have countless insensitive, hurtful, degrading and just plain stupid campaigns and ads that they've run. They've thrown marginalized groups under the bus and appropriated the suffering of others to further their own aims, they've made so, so many horrible remarks and comparisons, they've done so many godawful things...I could go on and on. They are definitely not a group someone wants to align themselves with, as you said.

Setting a bunch of domesticated animals free out into the wild sounds like a catastrophe waiting to happen. Not only for the existing ecosystem, but for the animals themselves. You really think that they have the ability to survive on their own after having been pets or farm animals all their lives? You call a dog or a cat struggling to live out in the wild a more humane option than living in someone's home as a companion animal?

I never went to PETA for any information regarding animal rights. I developed my views on animal rights through contemplating the subject over a long period of time and gathering, comparing, and contrasting tidbits of information about it from other sources. And I'm still developing my opinion on it even after 7 or 8 years of not eating meat, and after having been a vegan myself for a little over a year. I have a hard time pointing to any one source and saying, "Yep, they've got it all right, I'm behind what they have to say 100%". PETA is not the sole authority on animal rights or veganism. They didn't introduce me to veganism in any way. I've never really used their resources (like undercover videos, product lists, etc.) that they have on their site, either. There are so many other places to access similar shreds of information. When I think of a vegan organization, I think of The Vegan Society because their founder was the one to coin the term "vegan", and it's their definition that I use. Theirs is the oldest officially vegan group (as far as I know); they were founded in 1944 versus PETA which was founded in 1980. I don't think that vegans need to associate, join, or align themselves with any group to be "real vegans" as long as they aren't using, purchasing, or consuming animals products as far as is possible and practicable for them. I doubt that PETA made veganism a household topic--I think that the Internet had a large part to do with making information more available.

Anyway...I'm talking too much...

I think that animals should be allowed to return to their original feral wild selves, obviously we have cats and dogs that cannot take care of themselves because of human breeding practices and such, but I was referring to domesticated animals people eat, not pets, it takes a relatively short amount of time for animals (pigs especially) to revert to feral- will it have a big impact on the environment? Probably, many places already have a feral pig, or feral dog problem, but I was also speaking in idealistic terms as well-being it's idealistic for animals to just be set free, but realistically the human population has expanded to the point where animals cannot exist freely in the world, but in containers, idealistic I don't think that one should own a "pet", as vegans we're supposed to think of animal welfare- does that dog or cat really want to live with you? Or would they rather follow their animal instincts and survive in the wild? Is that why they run away from us? Who's to say. But, realistically I'm not against housing traditional domesticated animals- but it also brings up the question of spaying and neutering, is it really a human's right to take away their breeding ability to help control a population? Realistically, yes, it will eventually stop the breeding of animals and 'companion' animals will eventually be a thing of the past because they will exist in the wild.

9 minutes ago, King of the Forest said:

He probably found a buddist temple that would take him

Lol, he's Jewish isn't he?

God of the Forest
Just now, The Dryad said:

Lol, he's Jewish isn't he?

yeah I think so but he got dat buddi vibe doe :P 

3 minutes ago, King of the Forest said:

yeah I think so but he got dat buddi vibe doe :P 

I think he's a bit too....angry to be Buddhist though XD but yeah I know what you mean.

Anthracite_Impreza

My dog definitely wants to live with us, we've left the gate open a few times and she never has a collar or lead on and she's never attempted to run away once. Dogs domesticated themselves, they basically evolved to be our allies because it was easier for them to work with us, get fed, get housed and not be hunted by us.

Perissodactyla
On 5/15/2017 at 9:48 PM, The Dryad said:

Where the vegan population of AVEN can share news with each other, scientific, recipes, vegan breakthroughs, etc.

This discussion thread started out in a promising way, I thought, but it turned its attention to animal rights -related issues instead.

Please return to focusing on 'scientific, recipes, vegan breakthroughs, etc.'

I spend a lot of time exploring various 'super-foods', both in natural form and as extracts. If people want to talk about scientific studies of the experience of consuming 'super-foods' and the effects that are claimed, that is one topic I'd be very interested to read about and share.

I've been strictly vegan for several years, about 50 percent raw foods. I am vegan mostly for health reasons rather than moral reasons, but strong feelings of avoiding injuring life has become a strongly enforcing consciousness to the personal commitment to plant consumption alone.

If you're going to commit to veganism for the long haul, it's necessary to focus on the 'nutritarian' view of food consumption, which gives attention to the food-value / nutrients that the food we consume offers us. Just eating plants without considering their nutritional value can lead to becoming weak and sick eventually, which is often why there are many lapsed vegans. Supplements for me are necessary, and plant sources of supplements are preferred, of course. If you haven't done so already, get a blood test(s) and a physical.

One can fine tune their understanding of the relation between consumption and health/well-being/euphoria by learning about herbs, both as special foods and also as medicine.

Contemplating the distinction between 'food' and 'medicine' can serve one very well, as one becomes more aware of how one can modulate their personal biochemistry by thoughtful choices of food and supplements through seasonal changes and ongoing changes in our activity, environment-consciousness and 'personal energy-associations'.

===

So again, my view of veganism centers on the awareness of the body-mind-emotions in relation to consumption of food, supplements, fresh air, positive/peaceful/joyful energies as one exercises, meditates and engages with various healthcare professionals, especially massage therapists. When you commit to exercising daily and relaxing/meditating daily, your awareness of the affects of your food consumption increases very dramatically, in my experience. A strong, healthy, relaxed body knows what is good for it.

These are interesting topics to learn about, and there are indeed new studies and breakthroughs. I try to keep up with these, but I usually learn about new tips from friends directly.

I recently submitted a saliva sample to a DNA testing service, since I'm curious to learn about health aspects of DNA.

And so I'm curious about the genetic / molecular interactions between what we can consume and what/who we are/become.

I think that's the difference between "plant based" and veganism, honestly, animal rights are the sole focus of veganism, yes be healthy, make sure you're going to live and thrive and what not, but it's not a lifestyle based on the self, but rather between your morals, the planet, and your body.

Archived