"Customized" romantic bonds

Someone Else

Someone Else

From my point of view, I like the idea that a couple (well, myself and another) come up with their own unique idea of a romantic bond, rather than one just by rote pulled out of tradition (I don't really go for or even understand most aspects of traditional romance). 
A good way I like to see it, would be like the sentence "You're the only one who can X with me," "you're the only one who I will X" etc, where x could be just about anything, personal to the couple.  For some it might be kissing, nudity, or even hugging for a normally touch averse person.  Or something completely different, something that couple does that they don't (and wouldn't) do with anyone else.  I guess it could be all kinds of different things, depending on the unique nature of the people involved; there's no master list.  
That's a big difference, to me, between a romantic partner and a "hobby buddy."  If  I play cards with a hobby buddy, it's by no means a "I would only play cards with you, it's gross with everyone else."  

I think that's a very romantic way of putting it.  Even with traditional things like pet-names, it's cute to think of a partner as someone you would only do "x" with.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
5 hours ago, Someone Else said:

From my point of view, I like the idea that a couple (well, myself and another) come up with their own unique idea of a romantic bond, rather than one just by rote pulled out of tradition (I don't really go for or even understand most aspects of traditional romance). 
A good way I like to see it, would be like the sentence "You're the only one who can X with me," "you're the only one who I will X" etc, where x could be just about anything, personal to the couple.  For some it might be kissing, nudity, or even hugging for a normally touch averse person.  Or something completely different, something that couple does that they don't (and wouldn't) do with anyone else.  I guess it could be all kinds of different things, depending on the unique nature of the people involved; there's no master list.  
That's a big difference, to me, between a romantic partner and a "hobby buddy."  If  I play cards with a hobby buddy, it's by no means a "I would only play cards with you, it's gross with everyone else."  

I think it's excatly these minore but personal differences that makes every bond unique in it's very own way. Doesn't it? Every relationship is supposed to has it's very own kind of special "codes" or "rituals"  which would develop itself over time as the people included would get closer to one another. If that makes any sense?

chair jockey

There are many non-romantic situations in which a person would only do X with one specific person. Do you own a car? If you do, you know finding a trustworthy mechanic is a major challenge. But the fact that you will only take your car for repairs ("do X") by your one trustworthy mechanic doesn't mean you have a romantic bond with that mechanic.

Someone Else
7 hours ago, chair jockey said:

There are many non-romantic situations in which a person would only do X with one specific person. Do you own a car? If you do, you know finding a trustworthy mechanic is a major challenge. But the fact that you will only take your car for repairs ("do X") by your one trustworthy mechanic doesn't mean you have a romantic bond with that mechanic.

Well... of course not.  I don't even think that needs to be pointed out.  Not all unique activities are intimate, but for me, all intimate activities are something that I only do with that person.  

chair jockey
56 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

Well... of course not.  I don't even think that needs to be pointed out.  Not all unique activities are intimate, but for me, all intimate activities are something that I only do with that person.  

Sorry I misunderstood. :) And I'm glad you pointed out that this is something personal to you. Although others no doubt feel the same way, there are people who don't. Poly orientations are legitimate and just not widely accepted.

Archived