If you use they/them pronouns

girltwink666

third person singular reflexive pronoun?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. third person singular reflexive pronoun

• themself
    • themselves

This poll is closed to new votes

girltwink666

I use they/them pronouns and realized that I don't know how my own damn pronouns work because english grammar is a sham. 

Do you say "themself" or "themselves" for the third person singular reflexive pronoun? 

example: 

"they just played themself" vs. "they just played themselves"

God of the Forest
24 minutes ago, topit said:

"they just played themself

This one ^ . Youre using "they" in reference to the singular so the reflexive would be the logical singular form.

Example: "They left the restaurant and went to the car by themself"

"Themself" for me.

Lie-RennyValkyrie_

I think 'Themselves' make it seem like more than one person so i think 'Themself' sounds better although it isn't a word but i think use whatever you wish, either is acceptable. You might just make some linguists angry if you use 'Themself' though. 

Luftschlosseule

f only changes to v in the plural form, at least that's what I learnt, so I go with themself.

3 hours ago, Lie-RennyValkyrie_ said:

I think 'Themselves' make it seem like more than one person so i think 'Themself' sounds better although it isn't a word but i think use whatever you wish, either is acceptable. You might just make some linguists angry if you use 'Themself' though. 

Prescriptivists are no fun

Anthracite_Impreza

Themself, regardless of what spellchecker thinks.

Internetlionboy
10 hours ago, Lie-RennyValkyrie_ said:

Yea I agree. I go by themself and doesn't matter what spell checker thinks like @Anthracite_Impreza said >:v 

Skycaptain

I've never used themself, as, until now, I didn't realise it was a true word 

• 7 months later...

I know some people who insist that "themself" isn't a word, and so I think "themselves" is an acceptable way to refer to one person, but "themself" makes more sense to me and is what I would tend to use.

Lie-RennyValkyrie_

My father is a linguist and he has used themself when talking about me before so...

Themself. In case it's incorrect (and my spellchecker says it is!), I'll just blame it on not being a native speaker - sounds like a legit excuse every time 8)

• 3 months later...
ChaoticCreamPuff

If you were to use "he" or "she" it'd be "himself" or "herself" for a single person, so I'd use "themself" too

Ex: "She is fond of herself", since "She is fond of herselves" makes it sound like "She" is a single person made of many people. So, replacing "She" with "They" --> "They are fond of themself"

• 1 month later...

@topit

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived