Research Participation Request: Influences of social experiences and perception on psychological wellbeing in people on the asexual spectrum

timewarp

Tia Holland from University of Sussex has contacted us about the following project:

As part of my MSc degree in Experimental Psychology, I am currently looking for participants to take part in a research study into how social experience and perceptions may influence psychological wellbeing in people on the Ace spectrum. It is my belief that asexuals, like any other sexual minority, have a social experience that is different to that of any others – that those identifying as asexual (or on the Ace spectrum) have a unique experience of what I believe to be a highly sexualised world.

If my results are as expected, they will demonstrate how a lack of understanding and acceptance of asexuals, and this feeling of 'otherness' has an obvious impact upon their sense of wellbeing. I am looking for anyone over the age of 18, and who currently experiences low sexual attraction however, you do not have to currently identify as asexual in order to take part.

The link below is to the questionnaire, which should take approximately twenty minutes to complete. You can complete the survey on any electronic device (computer, tablet, mobile, etc.), however for best viewing, I recommend you do not use a mobile phone.

To thank you for your valuable contribution to this research, you will be entered into a prize draw to win £25 (or equivalent). If you know anybody that you think would also like to take part, please feel free to share this link.

The study has been approved by an ethics committee at the University of Sussex, Brighton, UK, and is being carried out in accordance with British Psychological Society guidelines. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at v.holland@sussex.ac.uk.

Thank you!

Tia Holland

Here is the link to the study:

https://universityofsussex.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dcjRdrRV1sHxXI9

This research request has been approved by the Research Approval Board for advertising on AVEN.

timewarp

Dedicated Research Contact

Finished!

A quick suggestion though- when you ask questions relating to how often you've face discrimination due to being asexual, I think it would be a good idea to separate out people who have never faced discrimination because they have supportive friends/family/environments, and people who never face discrimination because they work to keep their sexuality a secret.  For example, I have never been rejected or made fun of by my family for being asexual, but that's mainly because I haven't told anyone in my family about my asexual orienation.  It's very likely that at least one family member would not approve and/or reject me if they found out.

trooper17t
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, deltaX said:

Finished!

A quick suggestion though- when you ask questions relating to how often you've face discrimination due to being asexual, I think it would be a good idea to separate out people who have never faced discrimination because they have supportive friends/family/environments, and people who never face discrimination because they work to keep their sexuality a secret.  For example, I have never been rejected or made fun of by my family for being asexual, but that's mainly because I haven't told anyone in my family about my asexual orienation.  It's very likely that at least one family member would not approve and/or reject me if they found out.

It would be interesting (though well outside the bounds of this study) to do a study on the perceptions v reality of "outing." As in one would volunteer for the study, predict what reactions would be, then come out and do a post survey. Obviously lots of ethical things would have to be worked out, but I think it has been done with other LGBT+ identities.

Done!

I found some parts a little unclear.

Mainly the questions about friend and family support. I wasn't sure how to classify people who would give me all sorts of advice, but only gross, anti-ace advice because they don't believe asexuality is real. In the end I focused on ace-positive advice, since it seemed to me that it was trying to gauge supportiveness?

Also the section on who you're out to was a little difficult because for the group ones like extended family and coworkers there was no way to say you're out to some of them but not others. Like some of my coworkers know about my asexuality and we've talked about it quite a bit. With others I will never volunteer that information.

RoseGoesToYale

Done!

There was one confusing part though... (without giving too much away) under ethnicity, one of the options was "White-American". While I was born and reside in the United States and am white, I did not choose this because the only American ethnicities I know of are Native American, including Native Central American, Native South American, and Native Canadian (First Nation or other). Instead I chose "White-European" based on the ethnicity of my grandparents (full European).

Done, and agree with @deltaX... I haven't talked about my asexuality with a lot of people, so aside from me being perennially single, they don't have anything ace-related to use against me (unless they have suspicions they haven't voiced to me).

SylviaDragon

Done. Although there were a few tricky parts.

I answered never or pretty low on a lot of the final discrimination questions simply because most people don't KNOW i'm asexual. (Although i have been harassed for being uninterested regardless of whether or not people know that.)

Also the friends and family questions got a bit complicated because I have one sister who is super supportive- but everyone else is aggressively phobic. They would no doubt give me endless advice and they would think they were giving me "help" but it would basically be attempted conversion therapy.

Skycaptain

done this

Island-Of-Dogs

Attempted to do this survey, but it wouldn't accept my email address!

Kept getting a "please enter a valid email address" error message. Very annoying.

To Each Their Own

We have to enter our email in order to take the survey? I'm out.

SliceOfLemon

As mentioned above. I can't be harassed or discriminated if no one knows. It would be good to take this into account.

Also, I have no friends, so I found it hard to answer what these (non-existant) people would do in different situations...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived