HYPO-SEXUAL, SEMI-SEXUAL, or NONLIBIDOIST?

Mr. Spock

If you identify as asexual- which of the following categories do you best identify as? Don’t be embarrassed- none of these are “bad”… And the key is how you actually feel- not how you are living. Some people are living sexual lives with sexuals without  

2 members have voted

1. 1.

• HYPO-SEXUAL- my sex drive towards people is low enough/infrequent enough that I enjoy the convenience of telling people around me I?m asexual and avoiding a lengthy explanation of the degree to which I am asexual.
    • SEMI-SEXUAL- I?m not sexually attracted to others in a way that would lead ultimately to intercourse; I masturbate, have a fetish, or otherwise desire people or objects while not actually wanting to engage in the act of reproduction.
    • NONLIBIDOIST- I do not masturbate, have a fetish, or have any sexual chemistry/drive at all. I?m not sexually stimulated/aroused by anything.

This poll is closed to new votes

Yet Another Poll Regarding Sub-groups Amongst Asexuals... :roll:

Just for the record (I forgot to include) - having sexual fantasies, despite not actually desiring to go through with them, would fall into "semi-sexuals" by the above descriptions. Sorry!

Given the three choices presented, I went with non-libidoist, which best describes me at present. If you'd asked me 30 years ago though, I would have picked hyposexual.

I have negative associations with the word "non-libidoist" (thank you, Unicorn Nazi) and much prefer "asexual" as a description.

I know that a lot of AVENites are against it because of the "Official Asexuality Society" that only allows nonlibidoists to fit their strict definition. It really depends on what you view "asexuality" as... I'm just using it as a description. No offense. :D

This turned out to be a more complicated question to answer than I originally thought :)

There's a part of me that thinks of myself as having no libido whatsoever. The majority of my life has been like that. But, if I'm truly honest with myself, I am forced to admit that I've experienced a little bit of desire over the past several years.

I think it's a result of wildly fluctuating hormones...they are usually within 'normal' range for me, but went berserk when I started menopause (I know, I know, icky topic). It's better now, but I still get a little 'twinge' now and then. I also vaguely recall experiencing some sexual urges during puberty, although I didn't really recognize what they were. I knew about sex, mind you, just didn't understand how that applied to me :lol:

So, added to some confusion over whether I'm aromantic or not, I guess the best description would be hypo-sexual.

Well I'm struggling.

I havea sex drive that flares up now and then, particualry at that time of the month but I'd never even tthink about sex with another person.

I've never been attracted to anyone in a sexual or romantic way.

So I don't know....

Of those choices I align closest with "semi-sexual," but I am hesitant to click it as it says I desire "people or objects." Neither of those is the case, I just sometimes need the release.

Also, I do not think people here are against non-libidoists, just the way the "official asexual society" handles is. Much simiar to the way most people here are not against sexuals, but do have issues with the closed minded ones that impose their views everywhere.

I appreciate your curiosity, Spock. Knowledge leads to understanding.

I'm semi. I masturbate, and have fantasies, but not usually at the same time. I rarely have sex fantasies or dreams. I don't have a fetish that I know of, except I like redheads. That's not a fetish, is it? I don't know.

That's all for me.

Hard one, had to think about it. Either Hypo or Semi, and I think that depends on when you catch me. For example, since I found AVEN recently, I feel I've been more "sexually aware" and am noticing the times that I might fantasize, though I would never think of actually having sex with somebody. Whereas before AVEN, sex wasn't even a thought at all. I just figured I was celibate and so it really didn't occur to me. Ironic, in a way, how discovering asexuality has lead to thinking about sex more...

I put down semi-sexual (isn't that an oxymoron with asexual?) because for this week, at least, it describes me pretty well. Des summed it up.

Hard one, had to think about it. Either Hypo or Semi, and I think that depends on when you catch me. For example, since I found AVEN recently, I feel I've been more "sexually aware" and am noticing the times that I might fantasize, though I would never think of actually having sex with somebody. Whereas before AVEN, sex wasn't even a thought at all. I just figured I was celibate and so it really didn't occur to me. Ironic, in a way, how discovering asexuality has lead to thinking about sex more...

Same here! It's really bizarre. I figure this will pass once I get over the hype of being asexual and all the stuff that kinda comes with it. The only thing with me is that it's not sex that comes into my daydreams, but making out, something I find unappealing. Ironic..haha.

I'm kinda torn between semi-sexual and hypo-sexual, but checked off hypo, because it was closer to me than semi.

I'm kind of confused about the difference between non-libidoist and hyposexual.. :? Can someone help me out lol :P

:cake: to people who know what's going on

nonlibidoist

I have no desire... at all

for anything or anyone XD

people think i'm weird o_O

I haven't put an answer because I fall somewhere between hyposexual and semisexual (though the latter seems to be appropriate, and is fairly close to what we describe elsewhere as 'romantic asexual').

Phil

A hypo-sexual has a very abnormally low sex drive (libido); a nonlibidoist doesn't have any sexual feelings at all- ever. They never experience any feelings of sexual excitement whatsoever. Its the difference between a little and none.

A hypo-sexual has a very abnormally low sex drive (libido); a nonlibidoist doesn't have any sexual feelings at all- ever. They never experience any feelings of sexual excitement whatsoever. Its the difference between a little and none.

ok thanks!

This is a good poll, and the number of what you call "semi-sexuals" is large enough to show the AVEN definition of asexual is a bit off the mark.

HYPO-SEXUAL- my sex drive towards people is low enough/infrequent enough that I enjoy the convenience of telling people around me I’m asexual and avoiding a lengthy explanation of the degree to which I am asexual.

Umm, you do realize that a sex drive is not the same as sexual desire and it has absolutely nothing to do with if you are asexual or not, do you? Degree of asexual? Come on now.

Maverick Maiden
This is a good poll, and the number of what you call "semi-sexuals" is large enough to show the AVEN definition of asexual is a bit off the mark.

If orientation is to be defined by sexual attraction, AVEN is accurate. I'm coming round to the idea that desire to interact sexually would be a better criteria, only because I'm starting to agree with some experts that the majority of people are to some level sexually attracted to both genders. In that case, defining it according to attraction would be unhelpful. If you don't wish to do anything about your attraction, it can't make a difference to your life, so you most likely wouldn't care enough to label yourself according to it. There are people calling themselves homosexual even though they're sexually attracted to both genders, for that reason.

HYPO-SEXUAL- my sex drive towards people is low enough/infrequent enough that I enjoy the convenience of telling people around me I’m asexual and avoiding a lengthy explanation of the degree to which I am asexual.

Umm, you do realize that a sex drive is not the same as sexual desire and it has absolutely nothing to do with if you are asexual or not, do you? Degree of asexual? Come on now.

I’m simply referring to sexual drive as a drive meaning an interest. Unfortunately, I cannot modify my wording any longer. I see what you are saying- there is a distinction. By “degree” I mean where your libido would be on a spectrum. I acknowledge that all of these people can very well fit the description as “asexual”, I’m just curious about the small differences and whatnot that will inevitably exist as variation in the population. I could spend all my time wording around such things and inventing new words to fit each thing- but I’m an advocate of avoiding unnecessary political correctness. I’m really not intending offense- I just want to know. How else does one satisfy curiosity if they don’t wonder aloud? If it hurts people’s feelings, I can certainly ask someone to delete it. But I’m glad you spoke up- it’s good o hear so many people reacting, even if in disapproval.

I’m simply referring to sexual drive as a drive meaning an interest.

What do you mean by that, drive meaning an interest?

Nonlibidoist is the one I fit into best.

I've never been attacted to anyone in anyway, but to say I've never had any sexual feeling wouldn't be strictly true.

I fit neatly into the "semi-sexual" category.

My "sex" drive is entirely directed at a fetish and is the only means by which I can become aroused.

I experience no sexual attraction/arousal for other people at all, even those that my romance drive finds attractive.

• 1 month later...

I pretty squarely fit into the 'semi-sexual' category. My sexual attraction is solely toward the fetish traits, and I have absolutely no interest in sexual intercourse or sex organs. For that reason, I still call myself 'asexual' (and also, no one outside this message board knows I'm a fetishist anyway, so 'asexual' is the closest term I can use with everyday people).

Boq

Eta Carinae

Can't answer. I do masturbate, but it's not because I've got a low attraction to people that's satisfied by that, or because I have a fetish. I'm not sexually attracted to people (or things) in the slightest. I just kind of like having orgasms now and then.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't answer, either. Experienced all from the three-box options and I guess I'm just going with explaining I vary between different levels of sexuality (sexuality seen as a pack of composites, not just an attraction/desire here) and that I'm not sexual in terms of having "normal" levels of desire/drive/attraction/interest, but that I'm sexual in Freudian terms.

Or maybe I could answer I have a sexuality but I don't have a way to express it with others in a satisfying manneer, however, I'm not deprived or repressed because of that.

I really don't think "nonlibidoist" should be a category. That's a particular group, fairly unrelated to asexuality.

I really don't think "nonlibidoist" should be a category. That's a particular group, fairly unrelated to asexuality.

How do you see it, Cait? ;) *curious, not provocative*

• 2 weeks later...
Yet Another Poll Regarding Sub-groups Amongst Asexuals... :roll:

Just for the record (I forgot to include) - having sexual fantasies, despite not actually desiring to go through with them, would fall into "semi-sexuals" by the above descriptions. Sorry!

Oh that describes me then. Semi-Sexual.

Archived