CaptainYesterday

AVEN Tips and Tricks

CaptainYesterday

I wanted to call this "Hacking AVEN" but wasn't sure if that would be too inflammatory.

So there are a few things that bother me about AVEN.  First, you can't actually ignore someone.  You'll still see a little, tempting box in place of a person's post.  You also see the post if someone quotes it.  I initially dealt with the former with a Chrome CSS extension, but I think JavaScript would just be better.

Setup.

Go here and install this extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/custom-javascript-for-web/poakhlngfciodnhlhhgnaaelnpjljija?hl=en

This will allow you to run custom JavaScript over any page your browser loads.

While on AVEN, click on the "cjs" icon in the top right of your window.  This will open the extension.

Select "jQuery 2.1.0" from the dropdown box.  Now you can copy/paste any of the options you want.

Click "Save" when you're done copying/pasting.

Hide the "You have chosen to ignore content by X" box.

$("div.ipsComment_ignored").hide();

Hide QUOTES from specific people.

$("blockquote.ipsQuote").each(function(){
    var userId = $(this).data("ipsquote-userid");
    if(userId == 11111){
        $(this).hide();
    }
});

You'll need to look up the User Id of the person you have ignored.  You can do this by going to their profile and looking at the URL:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/profile/91820-captainyesterday/

The user id will be the number before their name.

If you want to do this for multiple people, use this format:

if(userId == 11111 || userId == 22222 || userId == 33333){
        $(this).hide();
    }
});

Hide ENTIRE POSTS that quote specific people.

if(userId == 12345){
        $(this).closest("article.ipsComment").hide();
    }
});

Like above, you'll need to look up the user id, and you'll add multiple users the same way (with the "or" operator, e.g. x || y = "x or y").

Hide the "Likes" for posts.  You will still be able to click the "Like" button to like things yourself.

$("span.ipsLike_contents").remove();

Hide thread titles that contain certain text

$("span:contains('YOUR_TEXT_HERE')").each(function(){
      $(this).parent().parent().parent().parent().parent().remove();
});

I'll add things to this list as I find the need for them.

• Like 6

Float On

I mean, it seems awfully unnecessary to go to such lengths. If you need to do all that just to hide a grey thin section of the background, you got to face the fact that you've got a problem you need to outgrow. 

Note that I am not being mean by saying this. I am telling you the fundamentals of.. well, learning. How to overcome an obstacle. If that obstacle is strong negative emotions, you have to own up to the fact that if you believe anything except "I am the one who creates these emotions, even if they are uncontrollable that means that it is my responsibility to react to my emotions with maturity" then you're basically claiming that there must be some psychic, magic force that people use to hurt others, mind control. there's no such thing as mind control. your emotions start and end in you. Take the time to learn how to accept them for what they are, and yet do the mature thing instead of the immature thing. 

and I challenge - If it takes you 15 years to clear your mind of compulsion regarding your emotions, is it not very very worth it? have vision and patience. Know that with practice you will get there.

• Like 5

Anthracite_Impreza

Or you could literally just scroll past.

• Like 12

God of the Forest

Well that kinda reeks of censorship.. lol and what makes it worse is you would be imposing the censorship on yourself.. good luck with that..its kinda immature to ignore people that dont agree with you..

If you wanna ignore someone thats your right, but kinda reminds me of a certain user that would say stuff like "I am now putting you on my ignore list" whenever anyone wouldnt agree with him... it rhymes with Rontarian Hexpatriate *cough*. 

• Like 5

CaptainYesterday

[deleted]

CaptainYesterday

[deleted]

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Or you could literally just scroll past.

Closing your eyes works even better. 

Homer

I see nothing bad here. It's a list of options anyone may choose to implement - or not.

(Also, the small X in one of the top corners will close your browser window altogether. This is a nice feature I like to use when I'm sick of the interwebz.)

• Like 14

God of the Forest
6 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

That's not what censorship means.  Are you censoring movies that you don't want to see by not going to them?

I don't ignore people who disagree with me.  My ignore list has three people on it: one person who insisted I was racist, one person who flat out said they were not going to debate me honestly, and one person who the moderators asked me to ignore.

Censorship is the suppression of speech, ideas or information one finds inconveinient or objectionable, if you are making a script that automatically ignores certain people and their words and ideas, that is indeed censorship except in this case you would be doing it to yourself which is totally fine because youre not affecting anyone but yourself 

• Like 4

Homer
11 minutes ago, RipleyJ said:

Censorship is the suppression of speech, ideas or information one finds inconveinient or objectionable, if you are making a script that automatically ignores certain people and their words and ideas, that is indeed censorship except in this case you would be doing it to yourself which is totally fine because youre not affecting anyone but yourself 

You read it, but you didn't actually get it :D nothing is suppressed because it's still there. If anyone decided to put me on ignore by any of the aforementioned ways, I'd still be able to fully exercise my right to post on here. Plus, since people are free to choose whether they put anyone on ignore, nobody has been suppressed. This has precisely nothing to do with censorship.

• Like 9

God of the Forest
Just now, Homer said:

You read it, but you didn't actually get it :D nothing is suppressed because it's still there. If anyone decided to put me on ignore by any of the aforementioned ways, I'd still be able to fully exercise my right to post on here. This has precisely nothing to do with censorship.

I think maybe you read MY post and didnt get it because I made the distinction that he was supressing it from himself. I didnt say he was stepping on your rights, if anything he's stepping on his own :D

• Like 2

Float On

we all gotta censor our own self somehow lol. Are you even aware of how many noises, tactile sensations, light, smells, and even taste you're constantly self-censoring Right Now?? 

• Like 2

Homer
2 minutes ago, RipleyJ said:

I think maybe you read MY post and didnt get it because I made the distinction that he was supressing it from himself. I didnt say he was stepping on your rights, if anything he's stepping on his own :D

No, he isn't. It's his right to choose, which he's voluntarily exercising by ignoring people. There is no duty to read or listen to anyone. Plus, you can undo this at any given time.

To confuse this with "censorship" or "suppression" is just ridiculous.

• Like 5

God of the Forest
Just now, Homer said:

No, he isn't. It's his right to choose, which he's voluntarily exercising by ignoring people. There is no duty to read or listen to anyone. Plus, you can undo this at any given time.

To confuse this with "censorship" or "suppression" is just ridiculous.

Dude, censorship by definition IS suppression. There's no confusing them because part of censoring is suppressing. Look it up if you have to 

God of the Forest
3 minutes ago, Homer said:

And like I said, there isnt anything wrong with what he is doing because he's doing it to HIMSELF, thus one would think it would be implied that it is HIS choice and thereby it would make sense why I said it was totally fine.

God of the Forest

But anyway, I am impressed that you can do that Captain, and in such a short amount of time. It takes skill so good for you (Not being sarcastic)

I wish I could do stuff like that with a computer

Homer

I haven't even calmed up :D

Censorship and suppression imply force. That's where you're plain wrong in your argumentation. He isn't forcing himself to "suppress" anyone when he doesn't want to. He is putting people on ignore voluntarily. Feel free to click on the linked contents.

• Like 1

God of the Forest

Youre arguing semantics lol 

CaptainYesterday

[deleted]

God of the Forest
10 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

It's never too late to learn computer science.

True, and I consider it a good idea to at least have an intermediate understanding of all things.. ya know?  Like a jack of all trades sort of thing. Like my mother, god rest her soul, was this amazing woman who knew at least something about everything and could do a little of everything and everyone who knew her was fascinated by that and I would consider myself lucky to be anything like she was. Anyway, I'll hop on outta here. Have a wonderful day ^_^

carbomb
2 hours ago, RipleyJ said:

I choose not to read news articles from certain publications, is that censorship?

• Like 3

God of the Forest
36 minutes ago, yourcaptaiin said:

I choose not to read news articles from certain publications, is that censorship?

Its different in the sense that he not simply choosing not to read something which would actually be "ignoring". HE used the word ignore to describe the function of his script but if you wanna get technical its something more akin to blocking it out entirely which would remove it from ever reaching his sight in the first place which actively removes his ability to make the choice of whether or not to read something that is there. He is creating a script that removes a comment from him ever seeing it in the first place which would in a sense alter his ability to make a choice of whether or not to read it because he's "ignoring" (blocking) it. For example, if  he decided to put me in his "ignore" (block) list, that would make any comment I make in response to his kinda non existent in his eyes because he cant see it in the first place and therefore isnt really making the choice of whether or not to read it so he is censoring what he sees, is it sinking in yet? You cant choose not to read something that you dont even know is there in the first place because its being censored. 

I see a dog at my feet, I know its there but im not acknowledging it, THAT is ignoring it. But if someone (or even me) puts a blindfold over my eyes, I cant see the dog so Im not ignoring it because I dont even know its there. 

I Apologize, I should have clarified that when I was saying "Ignore" earlier, I was simply using the language he used. And perhaps SELF CENSORSHIP is more fitting in this case. 

Lol but I dont really even care that much, he can do what he wants. I was just saying its kinda silly to play the ignoring (blocking) game. 

Snao Cone
3 hours ago, Homer said:

(Also, the small X in one of the top corners will close your browser window altogether. This is a nice feature I like to use when I'm sick of the interwebz.)

omg, I was never aware of this trick! This is going to change my life. :o:P

• Like 8

Cimmerian

Let us know if you figure out how to block a person's status updates. That's the biggest hole in the ignore feature as far as I'm concerned (and according to what I've heard from others).

• Like 1

Skycaptain

Polite request folks. If we're having a debate about censorship could a new thread be started in PPS or hotbox, this forum is about the site. 

Skycaptain moderator site comments 

• Like 5

CaptainYesterday

[deleted]

• Like 1

sculapius
22 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

It's never too late to learn computer science.

Software engineering!

CaptainYesterday

Added a way to hide threads based on key words.

Perissodactyla

Thank you so much!