Research Participation Request: "A study of identities in asexual communities"

timewarp

I'm happy to announce that this research is going into the next stage:

Hi,

I’m Sam from the University of Nottingham. You may have seen my original research request (http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/147700-research-participation-request-a-study-of-identities-in-asexual-communities/) in which I outlined the three stages of my research into identities in asexual communities. I’m now excited to confirm that I am moving on to stages two and three. Please find some information below on how you can participate in these stages.

Questionnaire
I am keen to find out more about the ways in which members of AVEN understand and experience asexuality and how the AVEN community impacts your lives. This questionnaire contains 36 multiple choice and open answer questions on these topics and should take around 30 minutes to complete. It is open to anyone who uses AVEN (whether asexual or sexual, frequent or infrequent users, registered or guest users…etc). You can access the questionnaire here: https://nottingham.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/identities-in-asexual-communities.

Focus Groups
I am looking for participants to take part in a series of focus groups, likely to be held between June and September of this year. These meetings will be informal with 4-8 participants at each. Due to funding restraints, face-to-face groups will take place within England but, if there is sufficient interest from people living outside of England, then it may be possible to hold international focus groups using Skype. If you are interested in taking part in a focus group, please fill in your details in the following form: https://nottingham.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/focus-group-expression-of-interest.

If you have any questions about either of these stages or any other aspect of my research, please feel free to PM me (my AVEN account name is motheaten), email me at aexsaro@nottingham.ac.uk, or leave a message in the thread below.

Best wishes,
Sam

This research request has been approved by the Research Approval Board for advertising on AVEN.

timewarp

Dedicated Research Contact

SamwiseLovesLife
5 minutes ago, Laurann said:

I can't access the questionnaire :(

I couldn't on my PC, I emailed myself the links and did them on my phone x

@timewarp Both done :)

If we can't on our PC, it must be a Europia thing.  Let me know whenever they give access to none UK people.

19 minutes ago, terrance_barnes said:

If we can't on our PC, it must be a Europia thing.  Let me know whenever they give access to none UK people.

I'm in the UK and it didn't work for me initially, but check the link; there is an extra full stop (.) at the end of the URL which might be messing up some peoples' browsers.

try this link instead: https://nottingham.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/identities-in-asexual-communities

If it's still not working, then maybe it's a Europia thing.

SamwiseLovesLife
21 minutes ago, terrance_barnes said:

I'm UK

Elftober Country

No joy with the link for me. I'm in the UK using a Mac with Safari.

28 minutes ago, gaogao said:

I'm in the UK and it didn't work for me initially, but check the link; there is an extra full stop (.) at the end of the URL which might be messing up some peoples' browsers.

try this link instead: https://nottingham.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/identities-in-asexual-communities

If it's still not working, then maybe it's a Europia thing.

Thankies, all done.  Good luck everyone.

Done! Good luck!

Hi everyone,

Thanks to those who have already managed to complete either/both of the questionnaires.

For everyone else, I'm sorry about the links not working - damn full stops! I've asked timewarp if that can be changed. As far as I know, the questionnaire should work outside of the UK (and I've had responses from the USA and Asia so I guess that's a good sign). I'm wondering if it could be a browser issue... I've tried it in Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome and as far as I can see, it's working okay on all of those. I'm trying to get someone to double check it on Safari, too.

To clarify the links:

Questionnaire: https://nottingham.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/identities-in-asexual-communities

Focus group expression of interest form: https://nottingham.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/focus-group-expression-of-interest

I've updated the links and removed the full stops. Now it should work. Sorry about that. Should have posted this after my morning coffee. :blink:

I've filled in the focus group form but I got interrupted while doing the questionnaire yesterday. 

I just wanted to say I really liked the fact I could save my answers and get a link e-mailed to me so that I could get back to it without losing anything - I'll hopefully have the time to finish it later today!

3 hours ago, gaogao said:

I've filled in the focus group form but I got interrupted while doing the questionnaire yesterday. 

I just wanted to say I really liked the fact I could save my answers and get a link e-mailed to me so that I could get back to it without losing anything - I'll hopefully have the time to finish it later today!

Honestly, I wasn't sure if having that option would be a good thing or not. I was a bit worried that lots of people would get bored part way through, save their answers and never go back to it (leaving me with hardly any responses). However, I know it's quite a long questionnaire so it seemed necessary to give people that option and you've proved the value of it! Thanks for taking part :)

Thanks to everyone who has taken the questionnaire so far - we hit 50 responses today which is awesome! And I've really enjoyed reading through all of your answers. For anyone who hasn't taken it yet, the questionnaire will remain open until Sunday 18th June so it's not too late to get involved.

The expression of interest form for the focus groups closes a little earlier, on Sunday 4th June and then those who sign up will be contacted after that.

Thank you all for your participation :)

• 2 weeks later...
AwkwardAxolotl

On question 11, is "relationship" supposed to refer to just romantic and/or sexual relationships, or would it include queerplatonic relationships too? I'm not currently in a romantic/sexual relationship, but I am in a long-term queerplatonic relationship.

23 hours ago, AwkwardAxolotl said:

On question 11, is "relationship" supposed to refer to just romantic and/or sexual relationships, or would it include queerplatonic relationships too? I'm not currently in a romantic/sexual relationship, but I am in a long-term queerplatonic relationship.

Hi,

I wanted to avoid pigeon-holing people so I intentionally left questions like that quite vague so that you guys could decide for yourselves whether or not they applied to you. So yeah, if a queerplatonic relationship counts as a relationship to you then feel free to say yes to that question. Of course, if you don't feel that it counts, feel free to say no. Most of the questions are designed to find out what you guys think about different things - there's no right or wrong answers as far as I'm concerned.

I hope that helps. Thanks for your interest :)

AwkwardAxolotl
1 hour ago, motheaten said:

So yeah, if a queerplatonic relationship counts as a relationship to you then feel free to say yes to that question.

Long-term relationship it is then. :)

My relationship with my loves counts as a relationship to me, but I've gotten used to other people not thinking it "counts."

I used this as an excuse to procrastinate studying for my three upcoming Physics exams, but it was worth it. 

2 hours ago, AwkwardAxolotl said:

Long-term relationship it is then. :)

My relationship with my loves counts as a relationship to me, but I've gotten used to other people not thinking it "counts."

Yeah, that seems to be a really common experience. I really hope that with more research into and awareness of asexuality, it'll be possible to convince people that these things can count.

38 minutes ago, Rhyme said:

I used this as an excuse to procrastinate studying for my three upcoming Physics exams, but it was worth it. 

Haha, see I'm reading all the survey responses to procrastinate from the review document that I'm meant to be writing. Good luck with your exams!

• 4 weeks later...

That was a well rounded questionair!

It was nice to elaborate on things I don't usually discuss with others.

Archived