Can you have no dysphoria and be nonbinary?

Infinity in a Teacup

Infinity in a Teacup

I've recently started to question my gender. I always thought I was cis but then I always thought I was straight and hetero and I turned out to be pan ace so I'm not super sure on that. I don't feel any dysphoria or don't understand what i'm feeling as dysphoria. I also don't feel particularly one gender or another. I just feel kind of eh about it all. I do notice I act more feminine or masculine depending on the situation and something about saying I'm cis doesn't feel right anymore. I know no one can tell me what I am but some opinions would be helpful. 

Not having dysphoria does not invalidate being non-binary. From your 'eh' description you don't really think it matters? Plenty of people who are non-binary don't have dysphoria, just as many do have it. It depends on the person. I personally only have minor dysphoria every once in a while. 

I would look at cis-genderless or agender spectrums.

(Cis-genderless is, like, you dont feel like a gender but identify as your sex because maybe convience or maybe just not caring (which is the typical reason I think)).

Good Luck!

Infinity in a Teacup

I do swing towards masculine or feminine but never certainly one way or the other. I don't have any issues with any pronouns used but then I never get misgendered so that's only in theory

I don't see why not.  You don't have to be pissed off at not having eyesight to still be considered blind.

AVEN #1 fan

Well, again the answer for such question is easy: yes

HHave a good day.

sir octepus tea

The definition of nonbinary is "identifies as a gander other than male or female". Nowhere does it say that you have to have dysphoria. If it feels right to say that you are nb then you probably are.

butterflydreams

Yes, of course, but as I tell everyone, please remember that being trans(whatever) even if it's nonbinary often means being in spaces with all sorts of trans people. Some of whom struggle deeply with dysphoria. I know for me personally, all I ever ask is that people be aware of this and be respectful. For me, dysphoria isn't something I'd wish on my worst enemy. It's seriously negatively affected my life. I don't say that you need it 100% to be trans, but I do hope that people identifying as trans without it are respectful of those with it.

Does that make sense?

• 1 year later...

I have a question, it's also the same question as the first person asked, but with an add-on. Is it valid to identify as nonbinary and not identify as trans? To me, someone who is transgender is someone who wants to transition to something different from their assigned sex. So would it be okay then to just identify as something not the same as your birth sex but not want to transition i.e. not identifying as trans?

On 4/17/2017 at 1:57 PM, butterflydreams said:

Yes, of course, but as I tell everyone, please remember that being trans(whatever) even if it's nonbinary often means being in spaces with all sorts of trans people. Some of whom struggle deeply with dysphoria. I know for me personally, all I ever ask is that people be aware of this and be respectful. For me, dysphoria isn't something I'd wish on my worst enemy. It's seriously negatively affected my life. I don't say that you need it 100% to be trans, but I do hope that people identifying as trans without it are respectful of those with it.

Does that make sense?

Not all trans people necessarily want to transition, though.  Some of them actively don't want to.

Being trans simply means your gender doesn't fall in line with your sex, not that you necessarily want to do anything about it.

Just Somebody

Dysphoria is like feeling trapped in somebody's else life, at least for me, and even though the trans and gender-non-confroming communities are divided on opinions like many other communities.... yeah , you can be non-binary without social or body Dysphoria , you just have to feel comfortable referring to yourself with that word and rather being inside that box  at the moment. 

On December 7, 2018 at 1:17 PM, itsnattyps said:

I have a question, it's also the same question as the first person asked, but with an add-on. Is it valid to identify as nonbinary and not identify as trans? To me, someone who is transgender is someone who wants to transition to something different from their assigned sex. So would it be okay then to just identify as something not the same as your birth sex but not want to transition i.e. not identifying as trans?

Absolutely! From what I have personally observed on this forum, the vast majority of non-binary people do NOT want to transition to anything and do not identify as trans; these are 2 totally different concepts, not different names for the same thing. I have never experienced the slightest dysphoria, and even if I was given a magic way to change my body that would not involve surgery, pain, scars, and an empty bank account, the only thing I would alter would be the reduction of middle-aged spread.

Archived