What to call a non-binary parent

GrapeFishWallQuota

GrapeFishWallQuota

I recently started wondering what a child should call a parent that dosent identify as male or female. This lead me to translate words into different languages and see if I could find a word similar to mom or dad, but gender neutral. I translated "parent" into japanese and got  親 (oya). An example of using this would be "My oya is the best!" as opposed to "My mom/dad is the best!". Let me know what you think.

If we're inventing a new gender pronoun, I feel like we can use our imaginations a little more. Like, if your friend asks you to stay for dinner and you say: "Just let me call my Superninjaspacerobotexplosivekittenwarrior, and ask." Might be a little lengthy, but so much cooler than all those normal kids with their boring old 'moms' and 'dads'. 

How about "parent"?  Since that's what they are.  

Are you after something more specific?

GrapeFishWallQuota
10 hours ago, Starfall said:

If we're inventing a new gender pronoun, I feel like we can use our imaginations a little more. Like, if your friend asks you to stay for dinner and you say: "Just let me call my Superninjaspacerobotexplosivekittenwarrior, and ask." Might be a little lengthy, but so much cooler than all those normal kids with their boring old 'moms' and 'dads'. 

I totally get what you mean by that. Now, the trouble is finding something that fits and sounds cool. Also, you just made me imagine a first grader saying to their teacher at pickup- "My Superninjaspacerobotexplosivekittenwarrior is here! Bye!"

<No longer active>

in my facebook groups, i've seen nonbinary parents referred to as 'mimi', 'momo' and 'mumdad' if that helps

Just parents then? I don't know if there are nonbinary folks out there who prefer being called a gender neutral thing, if that's the case then just refer to them as they refer to be called. If i was a parent i'd honestly wouldn't care if someone would call me mum or dad, it's just a term imo.But each to their own :)

Anthracite_Impreza

I'd just call them parents unless they have other preferences, that's self explanatory for everyone.

just an owl

If you tried using something else, nobody would understand what you're talking about and you'd have to say explain that they're your parent and they're non binary ... so just parent is easier, really.

Arvid of Rivendell

It's up to the parent. They might go by "parent", by mom/dad (not every non-binary person rejects binary language), or by something they invented.

From a non-binary person: I don't want to have kids, ever, but if I do, I personally think it'd be cool to have them call me by my first name (like Scout and Jem do in To Kill A Mockingbird).

If I ever have kids I'll probably use Lala since that's what my younger siblings call me anyway. It started when my sister Honor was little and she couldn't pronounce my name. I like it because it's short and it's repetitive  like mama or dada. At the end of the day I suppose parent is a good place to begin since all NB people are different and will have different preferences and opinions on what works for them. 

I think if I have children I'll have them call me Non/Nonny. It's gender neutral, easy to say, and fits well with mom/mommy, dad/daddy. 

Your children will want to call you what their peers call their parents.  If a child called a parent "mumdad" in front of friends, the child would  be laughed at.  

I'd just call them by their first name.

On April 12, 2017 at 8:14 AM, HiddenIdentity said:

I totally get what you mean by that. Now, the trouble is finding something that fits and sounds cool. Also, you just made me imagine a first grader saying to their teacher at pickup- "My Superninjaspacerobotexplosivekittenwarrior is here! Bye!"

Plus, all the other kids would never pick on someone whose parent was a Superninjaspacerobotexplosivekittenwarrior. :ph34r: 

• 8 months later...
Queer Musketeer

I saw something around saying that they used ren/renny like mum/mummy.

Archived