What fictional characters you relate to and are most like, and why?

Yatogami

Kelthepurplequeen

It’s hard to say, because none of them fit me.

Kaylee Frye from Firefly/Serenity- On the outside, she seems like a tough, no frills gal, but she's really a combination of tomboy and girly girl

The Doctor (particularly the tenth/eleventh)- Totally doesn't know when someone is hitting on him, then becomes confused or giggly upon realizing it, bad at social cues in general, clumsy

Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter books- Annoying now-it-all with frizzy hair, and a love for books and fluffy cats

Castiel from Supernatural- Totally awkward and aloof, would do anything to protect the Winchesters, especially Dean

Julian Bashir from Deep Space Nine.  Simultaneously charming and incredibly awkward.  Wants to help others, but isn't always sure how.

Simon Tam from Firefly- another scientific cinnamon roll.  Uses multisyllabic words in casual conversation.

Shara Komayd, from City of Stairs- her love of knowledge tempered with harsh pragmatism speaks to me.

Generally speaking, I see myself in "doctor" and "scientist" characters, especially if they have a chronic case of Foot in Mouth Disorder.

Molly Weasley from Harry Potter-- She's super nurturing and caring towards those she loves but also if you put them in danger she'll show her teeth. She's got more courage than I do admittedly, but I like to think I stand by my friends.

Emma Pillsbury from Glee-- Also have OCD (but not the cleaning kind), strongly considering a career in school counseling, good intentions but generally can't get words out when things get too awkward or confrontational.

cosmosredshift7

ruby (steven universe) because i'm pretty...empty-headed and straight-forward sometimes. I put others before myself, react before I think, don't think much of myself, and I too want a cute, femme wife.

jotaro kujo (jojo's bizarre adventure) i'm pretty....muted with my emotions? i don't hang with people if i don't like them, and i kind of feel like people should know that i care about them, without me saying it? 😅 and i'm pretty quiet overall; i'm mostly an observer and keep to myself? but i do have a wicked temper when people do get to me, and i'm super blunt.

jake (adventure time) because i too love food, music, and adventure. i sing literally all the time, and I LOVE baking (and like cooking).  also i'm pretty laid-back overall and greatly care about my bffs. he has that Big Brother Energy that I aspire to.

The fellow in my avatar.

Isaac Clarke from the Dead Space series of games. I don't much think that I'm like him, but out of all the fictional characters I've read or seen, I relate to him the most because he's plauged by dementia and visions of his significant other, who he struggles to let go of through the series, because he feels responsible for her death even though it wasn't his fault. Isaac is dumped into a series of events beyond his control and struggles to survive as best he can, but he's breakable and fragile, and in spite of it, persists without really knowing why.

The second Dead Space was where his character was really defined. I remember picking it up a few years after the game launched and playing through the story, up until Isaac confronts the vision of his lover and admits to her why he keeps fighting her, which is because if he lets her go, he's got nothing left. My SO had been dead for a few years at this point, so when this scene came up, it hit me quite hard out of the blue.

Artistbikerfarmer

Claude Lantier from Zola's L'œuvre. Not very flattering he's a mad artist

Spoiler

who after a lifetimes failure hangs himself.

Also I'm a fan of Cezanne on which Claude is supposedly based.  

AllTimeBubble

I kind of relate to Charles Boyle from Brookyln nine-nine, mainly because he's clumsy but well meaning. Also his love of food. 

Bilbo Baggins - I'm pretty much a homebody, but have gone off on adventures (nothing like picking the pockets of trolls or burgling from dragons under lonely mountains; just more mundane travels in this age). 

Custard Cream

I don't think I've ever read a character and though it sounded like me. But maybe I'm just in denial!

Stiles from Teen Wolf.

Similar life history, similar mannerism, similar personality. Always find unconventional solutions to problems. Gets underestimated. Fiercely loyal to friends and family. Goes overboard when excited. Awkward.

A friend even said Stiles is like my fictional twin, only difference is he talks more than I do.

PolgaraTheSorceress

My accounts namesake, Polgara from the belgariad book series,

she was always strong, independent, smart, capable, and heavily characterised as demi (which was close enough for smol Alice)

A total badass

or like a combo of Rosa Diaz on the outside and Amy Santiago on the inside

I've found a character I related to. Maybe my personality is just too weird.

• 1 month later...

Howl from Howl's Moving Castle (the movie).

It feels like he's an incredible talented magician, who has some trouble dealing with his negative emotions (eg. that scene where he's engulfed in green slime) and thrives on encouragement. I feel similar...and I wish I had someone to take care of me too...

dragon_cake

Ami Mizuno (Sailor Moon)

• I was pretty much deemed a nerd in any subject I happen to excel at and put effort studying when I struggle with something.
  • I also happen to be one of the two astrological signs that rules Mercury
  • Most importantly, Ami is hardworking, practical, allergic to love, and likes to be helpful. I will always put priority about getting things done over romance or crushes. As a student who happens to be asian, she was very relatable for me.

Tanaka (Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge)

• Lazy but ends up trying to avoid anything more troublesome (for example, studying in school to avoid retaking classes or being punished). Although, I'm not as lazy as him by comparison, I do understand his reasoning.
  • Often sleepy and unenthusiastic. Same.
  • Gets the impression that friendship was already established before requested of him. I tend to think like this too at times.

Marlow from Heart of Darkness. Everyone thinks you went on this great adventure to save a great man but in reality you went on a trip through hell to save a sickly shell of a human being who dies before you even get started on the return journey. But the shit part is even when you tell people the whole endeavor is a mucked up nightmare they just giggle and mutter something about white man's burden or just walk away and go to sleep.

Anthracite_Impreza

Hal Yorke from Being Human (BBC)

> Socially inept

> Gets stressed out easily

> Doesn't like being touched

> Obsessive about neatness, cleanliness and routine

> Has a classic German car

> Often unintentionally selfish

> Doesn't understand children

> Addictive personality

> Tries to do the right thing but often gets it wrong

> Avoids responsibility if they can get away with it

> Genuinely does care, deep down

> Loyal to a fault if they like you

> Likes a good suit and tie

> Rather odd in many ways

> Always stimming with something

> Sarcastic and scathing

I've always said we are basically the same person...

Bruce Wayne

Wolverine - because he's flawed, angry, annoyed all the time (kinda like me really :D), but he's still a good person who protects those he loves no matter what

Captain America - he is sort of led by his morality

Magneto - he pursues his goal although not everyone agrees with him

Tintin - he is very adventurous

Ian Malcolm - I love his sense of "good pessimism" in the Jurassic Park movies/books

Loki - because he can deceive anyone :D 

Hal Jordan - possibly because he is a more flawed character in the Green Lantern Corps but he still has a sense of what is good

Jonathan Marchant (from The Dinosaur Project) - because he seeks adventure and exploration

I could continue forever, but out of all of these Wolverine is the character that is closest to me...

Toa Lhikan from Bionicle Legends of Metru Nui because I always liked that character. He accompanied my younger me through some difficult times.

Toa Vakama also from Bionicle Legends of Metru Nui because I relate to his insecurities and his difficulties in finding his destiny. There was a time when I was plagued by many insecurities too. That search for a destiny is still present for me now.

Kreia from Star Wars Knights of the old Republic II because she was exiled from both Sith and Jedi. Before I found AVEN I felt exiled from allosexuals and from LGBT.  I also relate to her because she was solo without being pity about it. She put emphasis on independence and on cultivating your own individual talents and skills. But I also disagree with that character on ethical issues. But that is OK, because it broadened my horizon and it made me question my own ethical foundation. This way I found weaknesses in them and replaced them with the opposite or with something else. I learned from her to never follow something or someone blindly and to never follow a teaching or belief dogmaticly.

Well, I relate to a lot of characters. I love Staphanie in Awful Hospital. She's sweet and compassionate, but far tougher than she looks. I admire her character a lot. I also really like villain characters, primarily the mad scientist ones, because that's basically me. Dr. Flug is a personal favorite; acts like he has an ego by himself or inferiors, but is actually super cowardly when Black Hat walks in. And his stuff usually works exactly like it's supposed to. 

Nicholas Carlton

Interesting! I have met with different characters here. I'm a writer at Essays Chief. I love being social and participate in social activities to help people. I don't like committing the crime and violence. I love peace everywhere. I think the best character for my personality is being a superhero. I can resist people who commit crime with my superpower. At some times, you have to be cruel. I need this world with peaceful environment and love amongst people.

I always modelled myself after Lisa Simpson and Veronica Mars but really I relate too much to Tomoko in Watamote. I heavily relate to Naruto too but never really acted out as a child I was just really quiet and read a lot. Though honestly I never shut up most days.

I guess that I’m most akin to Detective Gumshoe from the Ace Attorney series: clumsy and occasionally tactless but, ultimately, loyal and well-meaning.

During my formative years, I related to the diffidence and introversion of David from Pleasantville: I was certainly the polite and slightly nerdy kind of teenager who would have avidly watched a creaky 1950s sitcom or soap opera (I was never quite sure which one of those it was supposed to be). I also used to regard William Miller from Almost Famous, Alex Kerner from Goodbye, Lenin! and Perry Mathews from Jeff Gomez's Young Americans as kindred spirits for similar reasons.

In my early 20s, when I was violently in denial about my homoromanticism and exaggerating my more masculine traits to a ridiculous degree, I found some common ground with Christian Mann from the German soap opera Verbotene Liebe. It was slightly comforting to discover another pensive and sporty guy, albeit one that was fictional, who liked other men and wasn't completely defined by his sexuality. A little later on, Russell from Weekend brilliantly hit home just how isolating and underwhelming that side of life can be. It helped that he was a fellow mumbler, of course.

Then, as a fully-fledged adult, Jake Barnes’ fragile sense of masculinity in Ernest Hemingway’s Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises really spoke to me. Actually, come to think of it, Porco Rosso is not a dissimilar character to Barnes. And I definitely used to have the misplaced ambition of, say, William Fisher from Keith Waterhouse's Billy Liar. I’m generally more sensitive and thoughtful than those three characters, though, and I now adopt a homely outlook and self-effacing demeanour that's comparable to the eponymous character from Paterson. I also consider Michael Owen from Jonathan Coe’s What A Carve Up! to be an adult and slightly less aspirational equivalent of David from Pleasantville. I’ve seen a lot of my teenage and adult self in the two main protagonists from Nick Hornby’s About A Boy, too.

I never related to any characters when I was a kid, though: I was probably happy enough watching Darkwing Duck without feeling the need to identify with Launchpad McQuack.

chairdesklamp

Well, since y'all know Japanese media...Ichigo from Bleach. "Different appearance," (mixed; everyone puts me as 100% whatever they like less, then all the queer stuff I am), sexually oblivious, as I'm ALWAYS TOLD**, protector complex. A good example is when I got committed under false pretenses as revenge because I took a public stand against the bosss of the shelter I worked at because he was putting Latinos in a back room and having everyone ignore them and turning the Asians into other residents' house girls and house boys, including the pregnant and elderly Asians. I had a similar thing at St. Vincent DePaul who was turning away Muslims (WHILE accepting HUD funding) AND a daycare I worked at where they were throwing kids by their arms and sitting on them. Whistleblowing aside, I tried to start a group out here in 
Nov '16 to feed the hungry cut off food stamps up to literally hiding targeted people from unjust race/religion based raids. Half the town told me they didn't care, and it died on the table. I'm kinda crippled, but I've been known to rush headlong into fights to protect people. And watched as others stood there. So apparently, this is rare. And I've done nothing but lose for it. Jobs, career, ability to walk for a few days. But I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I didn't. So, yeah, protector complex. Also like and am good with kids (from ep 1 he is) (and dogs love me. Cats find me as interesting as I find Bob Newhart, though, which is none)

Definitely not overpowered, though. Very under-powered.

Also, in the end, Kaito from Aibou. See the finale of the last season he was in. Similar idea. And kinda Kameyama, too. Rough and tough guy, especially next to Sugisita. But these are 'kinda.'

**yeah, met my best friend because we were both over 30 in the fandom. When I figured out the demisexual thing the other day, she said she knew that already. Her literal reaction. We also agree Ichigo's not allo. They make it painfully obvious he's oblivious to Orihime to the point the epilogue was just as odd there (we only saw feelings develop one way) as that Chad uses his fists for money. The Rangiku skirt-peek seems OOC with how much he usually freaks over that stuff. Oblivious to flirting is something allos get on me about all the time. I literally never see it. Even after they tell me. I'm guessing this can come with the territory. 

I'm also writing a thing for the curious: go to chairdesklamp on ao3 if you want. Total queer spectrum positivity, and gunning to represent all the under-represented ethnicities in Japanese and American media. E.g., my Rukia is Vietnamese, Lisa's Hopi, etc. Tonnes of mixed people, too. 

There's also just one episode of M*A*S*H where I REALLY relate to Col. Potter. The one where the woman his age comes round and he's just so happy to have someone to talk to, and she gets all "dim all the lights, sweet darlin'" and he's all "Whoa, I did not see that coming." Again, the sexual obliviousness (though he's happily married, and that's his reason), and...well...the few spaces for queer people my age are coralled by the exclusionist cisgays and gatekept HARD. At trans groups (trans male), they skew REALLY young. So do most all other groups for non-cisgay-queer people. And those are my best shots at meeting people. I don't get the kind of jobs where the whistle blows and we all go to the bar since I can't do construction or I'd still be laying tile, and I'm forever stuck in lower ranks because people just do that to me, where my rank-peers are young enough to be my own kids, and my age-peers, I can't fraternise with. I don't know of any Japanese-American or Asian-American social groups, and the Asian neighbourhoods are being torn up by gentrification, so little is left. And Meetup and similar sites ALL skew younger, and where the heck else do I meet people (little to volunteer at here, or try to reclaim my former career, almost all charities/shelters/etc. are evangelical, and drop-in centres are city-owned and staffed)

There’s aren’t many characters i guess as to me it all just seems so offhand but I guess I’d be a weird mixture of Katniss Everdeen and Rustin Cohle.

I am similar to daria and Jane from Daria XP  I look bored half the time like Daria and I'm an artist like Jane Lane. Lol I express myself better in drawings. 

• 6 months later...
KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty

So many!

Rei and Kaworu from Neon Genesis Evangelion

Yuki Nagato from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Simba and Nala from The Lion King, unsurprisingly

Haku from Spirited Away

Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle

Spock, Data, Odo, Jadzia Dax, and Seven of Nine from Star Trek [especially Jadzia]

The Doctor from Doctor Who [especially Ten, Eleven, and Thirteen]

Both the male protagonist and the female protagonist, along with Aigis and Ryoji from Persona 3

Cloud and Tifa from Final Fantasy VII

Pretty much all of these characters have something in common--they're aliens, or they're different in some way, or they've experienced a lot of trauma at a young age, or they're socially awkward, or they're extremely eccentric, or they're lost and lonely, unsure of their purpose or goals in life, or they're withdrawn and introverted and have self esteem issues, or sometimes all of those at once. 

if i'm being honest it is probably a bit of a mix between Tigger and Calvin's Dad (from Calvin and Hobbes ofc).

Tigger has been one of my favorite fictional characters since i was very little just because i felt like if he existed irl we would get along so well because of how much i could relate to him. both his energy and how oblivious he always seems to be matches me so well, he always tries to have fun and do the right thing even if it doesn't usually lend good results.

As for Calvin's Dad, all you have to do is read some of the comic strips and you get the picture. the dad is so unbelievably average, he tries to crack jokes and go on adventures (both of which are pretty disastrous in most cases), and he seems to appreciate relaxing at home with a book. that all fits me pretty well, but most of all the comic strips always show how frustrated and run-down he can get despite all of his efforts to turn things around which i can really relate to.

Spoiler

sub-buzz-29121-1497545732-3.png?downsize

c_camping.gif

Archived