What fictional characters you relate to and are most like, and why?

Yatogami

I know we all love watching a TV series/movie/anime or reading a book/manga etc. There comes along a character you can't help but relate to them, and their struggles. It usually results in you really liking that character. 

So what characters have you guys related to in the fictional universe? Why do you relate to them? 

Out of all the media I have consumed in my lifetime, I only ever found 3 characters that I could relate to. All of them, were very "under the radar" type anime characters. Since you rarely see those personality types that much in any medium.

So I'll list my 3 characters:

Takashi Natsume (Natsume Yuujinchou) - I relate to Natsume because of how he dealt with his life as a kid. He can see "Youkai" (Ghosts) but no one else can, so he has trouble dealing with them, and not being able to ask anyone for help (it was very similar to dealing with abuse). Natsume also deals with loneliness, and learning to "trust" people with his issues. It is something that was very hard for me to watch at first, because the show very much caught that perfect emotional note and hit pretty close to home for me. Natsume also became like a personification of my younger self, that was both emotionally and mentally weak as a kid. So watching him get stronger and dealing with problems in the show reminds me a ton of the lessons I learned growing up. 

Yato (Noragami) - You guys might recognize this name :D I used this name for like a year on AVEN, but I didn't just choose a popular anime character to personify my existence on AVEN. I actually relate to this character a TON. Yato very much represents my current personality, albiet when I am in a good mood. His polarizing attitudes of cruelty but also randomness reflects well with my Bipolar personality. While overly optimistic, he can be lazy and complain too much, and never make a real effort when he should. Yet when the time comes, he is always there to do what needs to be done. His temperament very much reminds me of myself, and how I deal with things I do not like. He, also like me, can let things go pretty quickly.

Subaru Natsuki ( Re:Zero kara hajimeru isekai seikatsu)  - This is what my current username is based on. Compared to the 2 characters above, neither come close to how close this character came to being almost identical to me. The only problem, is that Subaru also includes all of my flaws (The only real differences is he is sexual, and doesn't mind working out). Subaru encompasses so many different things about me, that I was taken aback. I mean far back, and made to ponder for ages on this. When I first watched this series, I kinda hated the main character. I tend to hate people like myself. The more I watched it though, the more I realized that I was hating the parts of myself that I saw in this character. Subaru is a terrible person, and watching his character on the TV really made me reflect on myself and realize a lot of my own flaws. In the end though, I began to love him. Since he inspired me to improve myself a TON. 

Hmm,

Megamind

Tavi, from Codex Alera

Rick Tyler (Hourman) from The JSA

Kiall from Quest for Lost Heroes

Prince Rupert (Hawk) from Blue Moon Rising

Despite everything going in there lives, all of them didn't shy away from their moment of heroism. That might be why I resonated with all of them so much.

2 minutes ago, argar said:

Hmm,

Megamind

Tavi, from Codex Alera

Rick Tyler (Hourman) from The JSA

Kiall from Quest for Lost Heroes

Prince Rupert (Hawk) from Blue Moon Rising

Despite everything going in there lives, all if these didn't shy from there moment of heroism. That might be why I resonated with all of them so much.

You forgot the why part. :P It is much better to understand you, if you can share the reflection you have with them. 

Ooo, this is fun.  Let's see...

Miki from Shugo Chara

Mostly because she's artistic but also sensible, insightful, and even keeled most of the time.  She can be shy, but spunky and stubborn too.

Cardia (see my avi) from Code: Realize (video game)

This is more my love for her character than anything, but Cardia's naïve about love to the point where she needs to be told that's the emotion she's feeling after she describes it. (Yes, I'm a romantic sucker!)  I've never been in love, and I've questioned myself whether I'd ever even know because I'm so clueless about the whole romance thing, so this resonated with me.  Once her character gets a chance to grow more, she proves to also be very determined and hard working (and a little stubborn :lol:)  She's also very kind and in tune to the emotions of the people around her, which I can again really relate to.

Mychemicalqpr

I'd be too happy to tell you all about this.  I love fictional characters. I hope you're ready for all this. 

• Yuri Katsuki, Yuri on Ice--the most relatable character I have yet seen. It was actually kind of uncomfortable. The first few episodes were like watching the worst side of myself. Every sad or awkward face he made had me cringing. I had to consciously distance myself a little because it hurt. The way Yuri's narrating almost convinces you that he sucks even though you should know better... it's a spot on representation of anxiety and depression. I know I have it in me to be amazing though, even though my low confidence often gets in the way. Every now and then I'll have a moment that proves it. I just struggle to bring that out consistently, especially if I'm thinking too hard about it. I've also recently been discovering a lot about myself and finally letting my true self out. I don't actually have any eros hidden in me, but... I have some other interesting beautiful stuff. At least I think it's beautiful. 
  • Castiel, Supernatural--gives off a lot of ace vibes, awkward, has no idea what people are talking about. I actually have been known to tilt my head like that. He looks innocent, but it is not smart to poke his buttons. I'm even aware that I have tendency to make too much eye contact. He's willing to listen to people and change his point of view if he concludes it's the right thing to do, even if it means losing acceptance from those who were his family, and he's very protective of those he's taken under his wing (I can't resist bad puns).. 
  • Rapunzel, Tangled--a useful metaphor when I try to explain what my childhood was like, how I truly had no idea what the world was like for a large part of my life. It really feels like I grew up in a tower. I was home-schooled. I never went anywhere without my mom until I was 12, when she had to start working and send me to school, and then I almost never went anywhere else. I didn't get the talk until I was 13, and then it was blatantly only to get me to stay away from evil crazy boys. I was terrified into being a perfectly unadventurous kid who believed whatever I was told because I never heard anything else. That scene where Rapunzel flips back and forth between "This is so fun! I'm never going back!" and, "I'm a despicable human being. I'm going back," that's what it felt like coming out of that.
  • Niles, Fire Emblem: Fates--seems really different from all the above, but I'm complicated like that. I'm a bit softer around the edges, usually, but I'm pretty guarded and distrusting. Yet I have no patience left for not being myself and was never good at being subtle anyway, so despite anxiety, I'm pretty willing to lay out my potentially controversial or off-putting aspects upfront just to see how someone will react. If it goes well, great; if they judge me, then I don't feel bad about watching them squirm, and I won't miss them. I'm always ready for people to disapprove of me. I may even dare them to. Niles seems to do the same thing. It's not a behavior I see in others very often, probably because it doesn't facilitate social acceptance. Also, he's canonically bi and kinky, which is amazing. 
  • I kind of relate to the stock shy character, but it usually feels like a cookie cutter representation of only my most superficial layer, which is why I'm not listing every Shrinking Violet ever. 

I spent way too much time on this. 

Hmmm let's see...

Yugi Muto/Yami Yugi - Yugioh

I tend to see myself in both these characters. Yugi is friendly, and generally passive. He can be shy but strike up a conversation about something he loves (games) and he'll be more then happy to talk. He is always looking out for his friends. 

My similarities with Yami on the other hand would be for one, you mess with a friend and he won't stand for it. In fact he generally doesn't stand for peoples shit. He is also seemingly disinterested in relationships, course this could be cause he's dead but it's a point. (at least in my eyes, I don't ship Yami with anyone in the show and to my knowledge there is no canon ship for him.)

Garrus Vakarian - Mass Effect 

He's a smart ass who makes a lot of jokes and can be sarcastic. He can also be hopelessly awkward at times, but he is loyal to the end. He doesn't stand for much in the way of bullshit.

Ruby Rose - RWBY 

Ruby can be seen as childish at times but is more then capable of taking care of herself and others. She can be shy and awkward but once you get past that she's a fun person with a bright and helpful personality. She wants nothing more then to help people, and is very close with her older sister. She's always willing to listen and can be serious when she needs to be. 

Those are the characters off the top of my head that I have similarities too. Lol

drjohnhwatson

I wasn't sure last night then it hit me earlier today!  DUH!  How could I be so stupid?!

Adrian Monk from the show Monk.  I identify with him because of his OCD; I never had a name for it when I was a child--until seeing him.  I loved him immensely.  He is very lonely and very sad and the butt of cruel jokes, something I'm accustomed to as well.  He also enjoys solving mysteries--he's a private detective, after-all--and I, too, like mysteries.  Obviously.  :lol:.

Grunkle Stan Pines from the show Gravity Falls.  This guy doesn't like kids much at ALL--and I feel a hard same in that category.  He also doesn't have a lot of friends, but he cares deeply for his family.  He's got a pretty acerbic tongue and his sense of humour is similar to my own.

And FINALLY--the one most like me.  I even took a quiz that ranked thousands of TV and movie characters and matched me with this character at almost 100%--out of THOUSANDS, which made me pleased as punch as I already thought as much myself.  It is....

Bernard Black from the show Black Books.  He is thoroughly pessimistic, VERY misanthropic, and extremely anti-social.  He hates his job and is sarcastic to customers--not unlike myself.  He also has a very dark, very dry sense of humour (I work in a restaurant and I changed the specials board once to say our special was "Human Liver" and tagged on an addendum "with compliments to Chef Hannibal Lecter".  And once someone asked a co-worker what one sandwich was made of and I sarcastically responded human meat and they heard me, haha!).

:P.

I stronly identify with Lilli from the game Harvey's New Eyes. Don't want to spoil anything but she is a very quiet person - in the game she actually never speaks and everyone just kind of assumes what she wants to say which is something I've experienced very often. She also always wants to follow orders and do the right thing but somehow manages to mess up everything and make it worse because she blindly follows orders and fails to see the whole picture and the grey area. Over the course of the game she slowly breaks free of this desire to follow orders and it's just a great journey I feel connected to (minus all the gore stuff lol).

I also feel like Dean Winchester from Supernatural. I can't really explain why but his issues with (but not limited to) abandonment, self worth, struggle with relationships, self burden, family and very important food is just something that is very similar to myself. I also love wearing plaid. 

drjohnhwatson
On 12/04/2017 at 9:56 AM, twilightstarr said:

I'd be too happy to tell you all about this.  I love fictional characters. I hope you're ready for all this. 

• Yuri Katsuki, Yuri on Ice--the most relatable character I have yet seen. It was actually kind of uncomfortable. The first few episodes were like watching the worst side of myself. Every sad or awkward face he made had me cringing. I had to consciously distance myself a little because it hurt. The way Yuri's narrating almost convinces you that he sucks even though you should know better... it's a spot on representation of anxiety and depression. I know I have it in me to be amazing though, even though my low confidence often gets in the way. Every now and then I'll have a moment that proves it. I just struggle to bring that out consistently, especially if I'm thinking too hard about it. I've also recently been discovering a lot about myself and finally letting my true self out. I don't actually have any eros puns).. 

Yuuri is so relatable.  I feel like I'm a mix of the worst parts of both Yuris.  I have all of Yuuri's anxiety and shyness and self-loathing and feelings of inadequacy, and I have Yurio's acidity toward others and tendency to close off and not let people get too close.

Also look at all the weeaboos in this thread haha I LOVE it.....

Hiro Nakamura: Heroes. Why? Because he and I are a lot alike.

Hiro: Every ten year old wishes he had super powers. And I got them. Me of all people. Last in my class. Last on the sports field. I’m not a loser anymore.
Ando: Tell me one useful thing you could do with this power. Can you make money?
Hiro: A super hero doesn’t use his power for personal gain.

I don't have super powers, but when I was ten, I wished I could develop them and be like The Tomorrow People too (1970s original version).

He's shy, he's socially awkward, he's the kind of guy who gets overlooked by other people because there doesn't seem to be anything special about him. By the same token, he's intelligent, loyal, willing to try something new to achieve a goal, and willing see his way through to the end. And he grew over the course of the series.

Fate/Unlimited Blade Works: Archer(EMIYA)

We're both cynical and nihilistic, but we're both determined and willing to make sacrifices for the greater good.  We don't have much qualms about the methods used as long as the result is achieved.  Our skills are average to above average, but out greatest asset is our ability to adapt.

Rust Cohle (True Detective): he's cynical, introverted, nihilistic, solitary, emotionally fucked up, and, as he said, "bad at parties". He seems a bit depressed and he even says that he doesn't think it's good for him to be around people because he wears them down and make them unhappy. I can relate to that... A lot! :P

Jaime Lannister (A Song of Ice and Fire): he's cynical, but can be quite "romantic"/idealistic in a lot of ways. He's misunderstood, often misjudged, and, despite his bad reputation, he can be quite loyal in his own way, which makes him a tragic hero. He used to have a lot of potential, however, bad circumstances turned him into a not so honorable man, and now he's having an identity crisis and trying to figure out what kind of person he wants to be. He once said that he's loved by one for a kindness he never did, and reviled by so many for his finest act, and it kind of spoke to me, because I've been in that sort of situation before. He's definitely my favorite character in the books (Game of Thrones [the TV show] ruined him, though!)

Peggy Olson (Mad Men): I don't identify with her as much (she's the kind of person I look up to and wish to be), but in some ways I can understand her. She spends a lot of time trying to fit in a place that is not very welcoming to her. There's a scene in Mad Men where the guys are arguing that every woman is/wants to be a Jackie Kennedy or a Marilyn Monroe. Peggy disagrees and asks them which one she is. One of the guys says "Gertrude Stein" and everyone starts laughing (Don, the main character, was nice enough to compare her to Irene Dunne). She knows she's different, and yet she never gives up on her goals nor on her integrity, which is very admirable. I love her for it, and I relate to her in the sense that I'm also trying very hard to find my place in this world, as someone who's aware of her peculiarities.

There are other characters I could mention, but I already talked/wrote too much. ;)

Jesus Christ son of god.

He can turn water into wine while I can turn beer into pee.

SamwiseLovesLife

Aang from Avatar the legend of Aang. Because we are irritating to people in all the same ways #alwayscheerful (Also I relate to him as a Buddhist)

Pippin from LOTR. Because I make all the mistakes, but am funny doing it :D

Charlie Weasly from HP. Asexual (aro too) and I am the sibling/friend that is generally off doing something wierd like playing with mythical creatures while everyone else is anxting over life, the universe and everything.

Arthur Dent from The hitchiker's guide to the galaxy. Because there's no one I relate to more than the confused person wondering while everyone else seems to be off their rockers and trying to get us all killed..

SamwiseLovesLife
On 12/04/2017 at 4:15 PM, drjohnhwatson said:

Bernard Black from the show Black Books.  He is thoroughly pessimistic, VERY misanthropic, and extremely anti-social.  He hates his job and is sarcastic to customers--not unlike myself.  He also has a very dark, very dry sense of humour (I work in a restaurant and I changed the specials board once to say our special was "Human Liver" and tagged on an addendum "with compliments to Chef Hannibal Lecter".  And once someone asked a co-worker what one sandwich was made of and I sarcastically responded human meat and they heard me, haha!).

XD Best character. I am much more Manny (or just Bill Bailey in general)

Elftober Country

Daria Morgendorffer - nuff said 8)

• 3 months later...
TheNerdyOne

Disney's Mulan is pretty much my spirit animal. We're not straight out klutzes, but we can be clumsy at times. We feel very strongly when something is wrong, and feel called to do something to make it right. We both love and care about our families. When we set our minds to something, we give it our all and see it to the end. And we're both creative.

Grumpy Alien

I... don't know? I can't think of a single character. I'm blanking.

I know there's more but the only I can think of is...

Kreig (Borderlands 2): what can I say really the man is a ball of chaos and destruction (also a pyromaniac). There's also the fact that me and Kreig talk similar; at one point during a gun battle I said something along the lines of "Fire burning, fire bright, won't you sing this song tonight!" (Kreig has an ability to light himself on fire) and my friend asked if that was one of his actual lines. It was just something I made up, but it fit well I guess.

Hmmm... I have to think about this.

Let's see...

Yugi/Yami Yugi from yugioh:

I see myself in both of them. Yugi because I am tiny, I love games and I'm on the shy side. I have trouble standing up for myself, but I will stand up for a friend or family member if it kills me. I am honest and loyal. Yami can be like me at times too, if I'm confident about something I'm damn near unshakable. I rarely give up, I tend to fight to the bitter end if it's something I really want to do or something I believe in. If a friend of mine or someone close to me is hurt I will absolutely loose my mind. That's one of the only things that can really piss me off. I can be solitary sometimes and come off a bit distant due to my introvert nature and tendency to get lost in my own thoughts, and if I've caused a problem or a friend is having issues I'll do all I can to talk it through and fix the situation. 

Ruby from RWBY:

Ruby is a lot like me honestly. For one thing, if I had the stuff I'd dress like her, I definitely want to cosplay her one day. She's generally optimistic, and never gives up on her goals. She is again quite small and extremely fast (I'm a pretty fast runner myself), plus she can eat a plate of cookies like no one's business. She's stubborn and always looking out for others, she can be shy and awkward at first but once you get past that she's a ball of hyper energy and a goof. Also she's fairly clumsy at times, honest, loyal and will do her best to give others help through wisdom or fighting. Also she likes to make jokes, though I do take the pun aspect a bit from her sister Yang.

Wonder Woman - well more the movie version. I'm from a small island you cannot see on a map and I've had my fish out of water moments. Like her I have seen how evil this world and people can be but some part of me does not want to lose faith in the good that still exists in this place.

Daenerys Targaryen - I relate to the earlier version of her because my mother was like Viserys. Taunting, thinking all sorts of unpleasant stuff about me and her version of "Don't awaken the dragon" aka Don't make me get vex wi yuh. Took me years to break out from the hold she had on me and build myself based on my terms and establish myself away from her control.

Setsuna Meioh/ Sailor Pluto - she's got dark skin and dark hair like me, she's a scorpio like me, the place she wants to visit the most is my home region. She is also very motherly which how I am to people younger than me irl who are close to me.

Lonelyghost

Hermione Granger for her love for books and school, and Charlie Bradbury with her love for video games and general nerdy-ness 

• 3 months later...

This sounds dumb but I believe I'm half and half of these two video game characters: Rupin from skyward sword and the happy mask salesman from majoras mask.

why

Rupin:

For this dork, just see how he acts when you interact with him in the bazaar! He seems so cheery yet there's something off about him. I'm most like him in my sense of having a resting bitch face and am able to change emotions rather quickly depending on the situation. He's cheery and ecstatic at work (me with my friends or discussing a topic I highly enjoy) and when he gets home, his true colors show. He's tired, agitated, and kind of rude and seems a bit bored by your presence (this is how I am most of the time, but I'm mostly like this due to cynicism and a huge amount of anxiety) (he's basically my spirit animal) I swear if we met we'd be mutual acquaintances, hating people over coffee. XD

Happy mask salesman:

Now this guy is tricky! He's still a mystery to all of the zelda fandom, which has sparked many fan theories about his origins. For this guy, I'm most like him in how easily I am able to lose my temper (at some points even coming up with empty threats towards others (mostly friends)) my emotions can switch depending on the situation (angry at one person, friend comes by and I'm very cheery and happy about them being there) I like this character so much due to his mood swings and being able to pull a piano from thin air. And his quotes are quite a thing to behold!

"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting shall follow. But that parting needs not last forever. Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short while... that is up to you.”

so yeah, I'm possibly a weird asshole trying to connect myself to these two characters. (And it doesn't help that they are possibly related. XD) if anything, I'd be their little hell spawn child if they were to make a person from black magic and some parts of their DNA. 

I really like Amy Farrah Fowler, I am not anywhere as intelligent but I really relate to her awkwardness and social ineptness.

I wonder which one I relate to...

Lol I almost missed this but Yato was mentioned and it reminded me that I strongly related to Nora from Noragami ...

She's terrible and manipulative and was literally made to be that way - I think she doesn't know any better, because she was manipulated and used herself. This isn't an excuse because she's awful in her own right, and people are justifiably careful around her, avoid her and hurt her. She's just a pawn, but it's a reminder that even if I'm a victim of a sort it doesn't mean I can't hurt and cause damage to other people. Also it's like she's super proud while also having no dignity in being used by others (in fact she takes pride in that)... and she holds onto the past and has major grudges which is something I tend to do... and even though I love beautiful things, something being beautiful doesn't mean I can't throw it away if pride tells me I should/if I feel I need to... I really really relate to that...

TBh I love Nora but I don't care if she's never redeemed, she's awful, she brings suffering to a lot of people who don't deserve it, and yet I see a lot of myself in her. I sometimes wonder if I love her because I subconsciously know that if I can love Nora I can learn to love myself (-_-'' ) . Most of the characters I relate to and looove are awful people.

6 hours ago, gaogao said:

Lol I almost missed this but Yato was mentioned and it reminded me that I strongly related to Nora from Noragami ...

She's terrible and manipulative and was literally made to be that way - I think she doesn't know any better, because she was manipulated and used herself. This isn't an excuse because she's awful in her own right, and people are justifiably careful around her, avoid her and hurt her. She's just a pawn, but it's a reminder that even if I'm a victim of a sort it doesn't mean I can't hurt and cause damage to other people. Also it's like she's super proud while also having no dignity in being used by others (in fact she takes pride in that)... and she holds onto the past and has major grudges which is something I tend to do... and even though I love beautiful things, something being beautiful doesn't mean I can't throw it away if pride tells me I should/if I feel I need to... I really really relate to that...

TBh I love Nora but I don't care if she's never redeemed, she's awful, she brings suffering to a lot of people who don't deserve it, and yet I see a lot of myself in her. I sometimes wonder if I love her because I subconsciously know that if I can love Nora I can learn to love myself (-_-'' ) . Most of the characters I relate to and looove are awful people.

I have a similar thing with Subaru Natsuki. 

Archived