Growing Your Own: What did you grow / raise / harvest?

I just went out and gorged myself on raspberries, blueberries, and sugar snap peas.  A few of the berries made it into my bowl so I can freeze them for smoothies, but most went right in my mouth.  I also picked a huge handful of overripe raspberries for the chickens, although you don't so much pick them as catch them in one hand after gently touching them with the other.  The chickens go wild for them.

PS. The chickens do have access to plenty of raspberry bushes in their run, and they keep them perfectly picked to a certain height (basically, as high as they can jump).

• Like 3

I’ve just picked my first carrot of this season (it resembled a mandrake more than a carrot, but I can live with that :D)

• Like 2
On 6/29/2019 at 6:25 PM, pickles mcgee said:

I just went out and gorged myself on raspberries, blueberries, and sugar snap peas...I also picked a huge handful of overripe raspberries for the chickens...The chickens go wild for them...

Interesting. I didn't know that chickens like raspberries. Do they like blueberries, too?

7 hours ago, Morgan123 said:

I’ve just picked my first carrot of this season (it resembled a mandrake more than a carrot, but I can live with that :D)

That's a good sign; at least, it's growing something.

• Like 2

Strawberries. Lots of strawberries. The slugs and snails have had my runner bean plants (grrrr) but they won't have my strawberries! 😁

• Like 3
Skycaptain

I'm turning into a courgette, 3Kg from two plants in two weeks, and another eight on the way 

Seriously I've never had such abundance 

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Acing It said:

...The slugs and snails have had my runner bean plants (grrrr) but they won't have my strawberries! 😁

Oh, I hear you about your bean plants; the same thing happened to me, when I attempted to grow watermelons: one finally grew fruit, was very small, and not ripe; but when I left it outside longer, to let it grow bigger and ripen, I found out a bug had started eating it!

I was disappointed; I really wanted to taste it.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Oh, I hear you about your bean plants; the same thing happened to me, when I attempted to grow watermelons: one finally grew fruit, was very small, and not ripe; but when I left it outside longer, to let it grow bigger and ripen, I found out a bug had started eating it!

I was disappointed; I really wanted to taste it.

It's not nice, is it? The critters need to eat as well, but why our fruit and veg?? I lost 3 pumpkin plants as well this year so I empathise with you. Didn't even have a chance to flower...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Acing It said:

It's not nice, is it? The critters need to eat as well, but why our fruit and veg?? I lost 3 pumpkin plants as well this year so I empathise with you. Didn't even have a chance to flower...

I have to grow most of my veggies in a greenhouse because of hungry critters (mammals).  Currently I am growing garlic, onions and potatoes outside and I fear it is just a matter of time before the deer eat the potato plants and the gophers get the garlic.  I don't like using poison, but that is the only thing that seems to control the sneaky gophers.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I'm turning into a courgette, 3Kg from two plants in two weeks, and another eight on the way 

Seriously I've never had such abundance 

I know that courgette = zucchini, but I want to know how it is pronounced.  As I read the word, I would pronounce it as "core GET"  Am I even close to the British pronunciation? 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

deer eat the potato plants and the gophers get the garlic

The Americas... a completely different world 😂 I even had to look up what a gopher was!

All I have to deal with round the back, which is properly fenced - see further on - is snails and slugs. I'm 'cultivating' a visitor frog who eats said slugs but the frog is only a visitor. The front of the house gets more exotic, which is why said fencing has happened. We have badgers there who root up stuff and head off with everything that smells of food, including food waste bins if you're not careful. They drag them to their den through the shrubbery and you never see the bin again. I bet they use the empty bin for storage.

• Like 3
Skycaptain

@Muledeer, close, generally we pronounce it "Core- jet" or thereabouts, - linguistics isn't my strong point. 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

@Muledeer, close, generally we pronounce it "Core- jet" or thereabouts, - linguistics isn't my strong point. 

So they're like small corgis?

• Like 3

I am slightly proud of my hanging basket.  I raised the plants from plug plants bought from the garden centre in February, planted the basket up in April and hung it out in June.

20190706-164604-resized.jpg

• Like 8

The first runner bean flowers have appeared!

And the sweet peas have finally formed buds (it’s been a tough gig- slugs, terrible weather and my extreme laziness- but we’re finally getting there. :D 

• Like 5

Wow, @Mz Terry, that is a florist-quality arrangement!  You would win a blue ribbon in the county fair with that masterpiece.

• Like 2

Some of the veggies growing in my greenhouse:

Spoiler

20190705-085823.jpg

20190705-085843.jpg

• Like 5
  • 5 weeks later...

It's been a great growing season, so far.  I've made stewed rhubarb twice.  Two batches of sauerkraut with the extra cabbage.  Three enormous heads of broccoli, and weekly pickings of smaller florettes.  I've eaten green chili and other hot peppers, had an endless supply of lettuce, also beet greens, swiss chard, purple radishes, onions and carrots.

The potatoes are growing well, and have not been disturbed by deer or rodents.  The garlic is ready to harvest and the bulbs are as big as my fist.  The tiny tomatoes and the summer squashes are just beginning to ripen.  There is one more month of a growing season left, if I'm lucky.  

Oh, and the English Thyme, Siberian Tarragon and Garlic Chives have colonized the outdoor herb gardens, along with the rhubarb and horseradish.   All of those come back each year with very little coaxing.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I kind of neglected everything after I planted it all.  I've got purple carrots still growing, they're doing well.  My cucumbers did okay, but they're done now.  The deer ate all our tomatoes.  My ground cherries did the best, but I wish I had more. 

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, CatWho3120 said:

The deer ate all our tomatoes.  My ground cherries did the best, but I wish I had more. 

The deer will even eat the green tomatoes, every last one of them!  What is a ground cherry?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

What is a ground cherry?

They kind of look like a mini tomatillo.  They have a nice yellow skin and tastes like a cross between a grape and a tomato.  They're very sweet. 

• Like 2

I'm still getting amazing tomatoes and cherry tomatoes--the best I've ever had.  And have been enjoying my neighbor's cucamelons. Look them up--they're adorable!  They look like tiny watermelons, are the size of a grape, and taste like cucumber and lemon. 🥒🍋🍉🍇

• Like 3

@pickles mcgee I just looked up the cucamelon and also the ground cherry.  Cucamelons are also known as mouse melons and Mexican sour cucumbers.  Since I absolutely despise watermelon and cucumbers, I will pass on this one!

• Like 2

Yeah, for me they're more ornamental than anything--the tendrils wrap around the trellis, and the fruits hanging down look like Christmas tree ornaments.  My neighbor mentioned an alcoholic drink you can put them in, but I can't remember what it is.

I also read they're good for pickling.

• Like 1

Lots of hazel nuts, but the squirrels get them first. Lots of damsons and I made some jam. Good cherry tomatoes but now they're finished. Blackberries - plenty , and have frozen some for crumbles. Dozens of apples but mostly, they have grubs so I leave them for the birds. The gage had a lot of fruit but nearly all had grubs too.

As always, great herbs. Oregano self seeding and looking pretty. Rosemary , sage, hyssop, chives. 

No use trying brassicas - too many snails and caterpillars.

Next door neighbours had a lot of onions and potatoes and we did a swap of those for tomatoes.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Tunhope said:

Lots of hazel nuts, but the squirrels get them first. Lots of damsons and I made some jam. Good cherry tomatoes but now they're finished. Blackberries - plenty , and have frozen some for crumbles. Dozens of apples but mostly, they have grubs so I leave them for the birds. The gage had a lot of fruit but nearly all had grubs too.

As always, great herbs. Oregano self seeding and looking pretty. Rosemary , sage, hyssop, chives. 

No use trying brassicas - too many snails and caterpillars.

Next door neighbours had a lot of onions and potatoes and we did a swap of those for tomatoes.

Ooh...yum to all this, @Tunhope.  I had to google damson and gage -- plums!

• Like 2

@pickles mcgee, we're lucky around here. (I live in the same county as @Tunhope), and there's a huge variety of fruit tree stock around. East Malling Horticultural Research Centre has a greater variety of trees than anywhere else in the world. 

• Like 3