Supplements that reduce libido?

Redorcasunshine

Redorcasunshine

Hi,

I have recently discovered that my fiance may be asexual. We have been together for over three years now and are getting married in two months. We have never had sex more than once a month and I have been content with that until recently. I see my higher sex drive as a nuisance and an unnecessary stressor on our relationship. In an effort to support him, and looking for a long-term solution for our marriage, I am interested in taking supplements or medications to reduce my libido. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar stories? Thanks.

By the way, it is so refreshing to find a resource like this! So glad AVEN exists!

Hi, Redorcasunshine, welcome to AVEN.

Trying to alter your sexual feelings (which usually means your hormonal system and your mental desires) is pretty dicey, and shouldn't be dependent on someone suggesting supplements which haven't been tested as being either effective or safe.  You should consult a physician about that.

Any long-term workaround  to a "mixed" relationship is best discussed over a number of conversations between the partners.  Most partners end up with some sort of compromise as to when/how often sex is engaged in.  It usually doesn't work out well if only one partner tries to change themselves -- i.e; the sexual partner doesn't have sex, or the asexual partner has as much sex as the sexual partner wants.  

It's best if the discussion with your doctor and the conversations with your partner happen before a marriage is firmly scheduled.  AVEN has members who are in mixed marriages without having had either of those discussions, and the results are not happy.  Marriage is a serious commitment even without having to deal with severe sexual differences.  

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

Sadly doctor's 'love' that conversation. 
me: I want to lower my libido
Doctor: Don't you mean raise?

I am an asexual, sex repulsed, afab, libidoist. I have no answers I'm afraid, except that you will be lucky to find a doctor to help you. I am curious to know if others have suggestions

chair jockey

The thing to know is that sexual desire and sexual performance are two separate things on two separate hormone tracks. There are many medical solutions that reduce or eliminate sexual performance, but they are typically prescribed to people such as child sex offenders, and you'd be unlikely to get a prescription for them. It could be an interesting legal test case if you have huge piles of cash to pay a lawyer for enough years, but there's no guarantee a judge would rule that such drugs should be prescribed in your case.

As far as I know, however, sex-control medication is restricted to the sexual performance track rather than the sexual desire track. I've never heard of any medication that is intended to reduce sexual desire, just sexual performance. There are various medications with vaguely termed "sexual side-effects" but they are intended to treat conditions you might not have and could be harmful to your health if you take them.

Archived