Calling Writers and Authors! (NaNoWriMo 2017).

Ricki

22 hours ago, Ricchan said:

I believe (but the more experienced people may know better), there's one going on currently, and I think also one that happens in November.

Actually, the original NaNoWriMo is in November, but there are also two similar events during April and July, called Camp NaNoWriMo, which is the one currently going on. The main difference is that during the November Nano you have to write 50000 words, while in Camp NaNo you can set your own goal.

28 minutes ago, Marilena said:

Actually, the original NaNoWriMo is in November, but there are also two similar events during April and July, called Camp NaNoWriMo, which is the one currently going on. The main difference is that during the November Nano you have to write 50000 words, while in Camp NaNo you can set your own goal.

@Bad tagging you, so you can see.

Thanks Marilena! 

• 2 weeks later...
Elftober Country

Only just spotted this thread. I guess I've missed out on April, did you say there is another one in July?

Seriously tempted to sign up to NaNoWriMo when November comes around. I've been meaning to spend more time writing, and this sounds like an epic challenge :D

13 minutes ago, October Country said:

Only just spotted this thread. I guess I've missed out on April, did you say there is another one in July?

Seriously tempted to sign up to NaNoWriMo when November comes around. I've been meaning to spend more time writing, and this sounds like an epic challenge :D

You missed the start but could still use it as an excuse to kickstart yourself into writing :P

Supposedly, yes there is a similar one in July. Both this month and July you set your own goals, so you could just set a smaller goal for it this month and get going! :)

Elftober Country
1 hour ago, Ricchan said:

You missed the start but could still use it as an excuse to kickstart yourself into writing :P

Supposedly, yes there is a similar one in July. Both this month and July you set your own goals, so you could just set a smaller goal for it this month and get going! :)

It would take me until the end of April to come up with an idea :P

I've been working on a short film screenplay so that should keep me occupied for a while :)

On 4/13/2017 at 5:19 PM, October Country said:

It would take me until the end of April to come up with an idea :P

I've been working on a short film screenplay so that should keep me occupied for a while :)

I mean, that might not be directly what the site is asking for, but the principle is to get you writing! And screenplays are really fun to write :P 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been putting it off in favour of studying but I hope this year to do it. Didn't realise about Camp NaNoWriMo though, whoops

I don't write, but I've read many NaNoWriMo content in fictionpress and wish you all luck in reaching your set goals!

Did anyone do it last month? :) Sadly I ran out of time because real life sucks. But I did at least plan more depth into an existing story I have going so yay.

Just cause Nanowrimo is over, then don't that stop you from pick up your pen! 

On 3/28/2017 at 1:04 AM, miereaie said:

I'm also thinking of doing NaPoWriMo (national poetry writing month) on the side, since I'll be reducing my Camp word count. Anyone else writing poetry this year? :) 

I feel like I should have known about NaPoWriMo before now, but I never realized it was even a separate thing.  I wish I'd known, because I was in poetry class this April and definitely could've used some more encouragement/impetus.  Either way, I'm thinking about joining in Camp in July for a poetry challenge.  Unless my fanfic/story writer's block goes away, though, I don't think I'll be doing Nano in November this year.  But if you need a camper in your cabin in July, I'm game!

I can't wait for Camp this year, I've done NaNoWriMo four times now (including two times at Camp)

Drummydrumsdrums

Camp sounds great, I'm definitely going to participate! But considering that I still have to write 2 fanfics and I'm like 99.99% sure there will be a ton of exams during NaNoWriMo (cause there constantly are more than one exams every freaking week), I guess I won't accomplish writing a lot of words. Anyways, I'm gonna try it and I have already had a cool ace character on my mind for the past few days so I'll just have to find the right plot for him ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had a really nasty experience with nanowrimo facebook group but I could possibly give nanowrimo a try I have tons of stories 

NaNoWriMo...I did this a few years ago and only hit 9k words. Might have a shot at the November one.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:10 AM, Wordie said:

I feel like I should have known about NaPoWriMo before now, but I never realized it was even a separate thing.  I wish I'd known, because I was in poetry class this April and definitely could've used some more encouragement/impetus.  Either way, I'm thinking about joining in Camp in July for a poetry challenge.  Unless my fanfic/story writer's block goes away, though, I don't think I'll be doing Nano in November this year.  But if you need a camper in your cabin in July, I'm game!

If you're still up for July Camp, that sounds great!! :D (I know it took me forever to reply to this - sorry, I left AVEN for a while...) I never did finish April, which is a shame... I'll probably be quite busy during July too, so it might be difficult, but hey - if I don't try, I definitely won't get anything written...

999papercranes

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now! I've done NaNaWriMo twice and won with 100k both times. I did April camp this year but failed with only 35k. I'm hoping July will go better :) 

13 hours ago, 999papercranes said:

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now! I've done NaNaWriMo twice and won with 100k both times. I did April camp this year but failed with only 35k. I'm hoping July will go better :) 

I stand by that it's not about completing the target, it's just an encouragement/excuse to get sit down and start writing again :) My writing style means I have no chance at completing it, but it gives me a boost to actually get stuff done!

999papercranes
25 minutes ago, Ricchan said:

I stand by that it's not about completing the target, it's just an encouragement/excuse to get sit down and start writing again :) My writing style means I have no chance at completing it, but it gives me a boost to actually get stuff done!

I totally agree with this! If it weren't for NaNoWriMo, I don't think I would've ever found out my ability to actually finish stories. Usually I just start them and they kind of fizzle out. I have a somewhat short attention span, but NaNo helps keep me motivated.

• 3 weeks later...

I just realized this was here. I'm planning on doing Camp NaNoWriMo next month. This one will be a script like I always do, and my goal is 3,000 words, but my realistic goal is 2,000. I will have a lot of free time, so it'll be easier to write than in April and November, when I have school. I also had a little of a head start because I forgot about Camp, but I procrastinate, so technically it evens out.

UglySlothFace

Yaaaas, NaNoWrimo-thread!

Really excited about the project I'm going to work on in july, though. What are yours about?

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! A NaNoWriMo tread. I'm excited now! lol. I'm planning on joining the July Camp, and I'm going to be editing a finished project that is in some dire need of fixing. I think my plot holes are so big I might find Atlantis somewhere in the rubble. lol. I enjoy writing horror, and sometimes I dabble in syfi, and fantasy. What about everyone else?

GRexCarolinii
5 hours ago, Ashley1359 said:

I'm planning on joining the July Camp, and I'm going to be editing a finished project that is in some dire need of fixing.

This is my exact plan too :)

Hoping to get my publish-ready by the end of the year (which seems a little bit mad haha) 

Just trying to decide how best to measure "editing"
Never edited in a NaNoWriMo, only ever been doing the writing

Ashley1359
19 hours ago, Giganotosaurs said:

Just trying to decide how best to measure "editing"
Never edited in a NaNoWriMo, only ever been doing the writing

I'm going to have the same issues. I've never edited a novel during NaNoWriMo before. I think it will be interesting to see where it all goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered what the Nanowrimo camps were. Tried Nanowrimo nov twice. Got to 30k once but with stressful, full time job, kids, dog, and an annoyed partner, it almost sent me off the rails. I kind of liked the discipline and motivation of it, though. I wondered how much people plan, though. Both times I went in with nothing, which I'm not sure was the best approach for me.

I tell myself I can just set those sort of targets whenever I like, and then life comes along and gets in the way - oh, look, like being on here!

How's everyone campnano going?

I'm almost 50% done and getting more and more excited to finish with each passing day.

DreadfulStar

Hey, always looking for some buddies to add on NaNo during November! Anyone doing it? Any ideas for what novel you are writing?

Any ace characters?

I'm considering it - I've had a story in my head that I've been evolving ages so I'd love to write it down, and it has an ace protagonist :)

There's a thread about this in off-a

Ah oops, didn't see that thread! Cheers :)

Merging with Off-A thread

Sea-lemon 

Hmmm... Does trying to develop a short horror story count? The protagonist is a conscience given life after witnessing a murder...  No spoilers! It's going to be a psychological thriller... ;)

This idea intrigues this tomcat... Tell me more... *Cheshire Smile*

Archived