VICE Interview: Riverdale's Jughead Jones

AceTrainerSasha

AceTrainerSasha

So here is the article I was interviewed for. I think the article itself is important, but I'm not super impressed on what they chose to extrapolate from our conversation...nor the invasive questions about my sexual habits-- they didn't include most of that, thank goodness. (It could be that I'm more used to research-oriented topics and maybe that doesn't resonate with their audience, but I 4000% never say 'prob' in sentences and I was surprised to find myself quoted as having said it! XD )

If nothing else, visibility is a good thing and we're in that stage!

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/we-asked-asexuals-if-riverdales-jughead-betty-romance-is-bullshit

:cake: for doing the interview!

I just started watching Riverdale.  I really hope that they do not change Jughead and Betty's friendship to a lusty romance.  A main reason why I watch is that they had an ace character.

Adam_Jensen
On 14/3/2017 at 3:03 PM, Kelly said:

:cake: for doing the interview!

I just started watching Riverdale.  I really hope that they do not change Jughead and Betty's friendship to a lusty romance.  A main reason why I watch is that they had an ace character.

If that's the case then I think you're gonna be disappointed.

I have many reasons I'm not into the show's take on Betty and Jughead's relationship, and a few that make me OK with it.

He's asexual, or at least he should be, but that doesn't keep him from dating. The fact that Jughead has almost always had no interest in romance, even going so far as being romance repulsed is one reason his romantic relationship with Betty is bothering me. Canonly ace, seemingly aro. This is canon Jughead, this is the original Jughead. And they threw that out the window.

Another thing is my natural dislike of the couple. Sure, I don't want Jughead with anyone, but Betty and Jughead especially bug me. (Maybe because Betty has always been the only one I've ever really shipped in Archie/Riverdale.)

Their friendship was actually really cute when it first started developing. And their non-romantic interactions make me smile at them in adorableness. Then they do something romantic and I'm sad that they ruined a wonderful friendship with romance.

Then there is the writers of the show straight up saying they are not making Jughead asexual on the show and I see the couple as evidence of that.

The only reasons I'm even semi-OK with them is that they got together in the first season. This is CW, any couple that gets together that quickly and with that little of drama while getting together are doomed. There will be a break up and I'd rather they temporarily date now than be end game on the show.

On screen, they aren't nearly as annoying as they could be. I can watch them and not roll my eyes in disgust every time they get romantic-and most of their interactions can be platonic which helps as well.

And lastly, because it's happening now the writers have a chance to fix it. The actor and the ace community are all asking for Jughead to be asexual. The writers getting Bughead out of the system now, and seeing the mostly negative reaction from the fans at the couple, could be what's needed for them to actually come around to letting him be his canon ace, and aro, self.

Archived