Article: "Asexual: The Forgotten Letter in LGBTQIA+"

SkyWorld

Author: Michele Kirichanskaya

Publish Date: March 9th, 2017

https://comicsverse.com/asexual-forgotten-letter-lgbtqia/

Recently in comics, diversity has become more of an impetus for creators and publishers, and the inclusion of LGBTQA+ characters has been a part of their focus. Among the queer superheroes that populate comic books, there are lesbian characters (Batwoman and Karolina Dean), gay characters (Northstar and Wiccan), bisexual characters (Ian Soo and Prodigy), and trans characters (Alysia Yeoh). However, there's a group in the LGBTQIA+ community that’s still underrepresented in comics: asexual people.

Cool article. There are a lot of problems that need to be worked out in comics, especially within the mainstream companies. And it would definitely be neat to see more asexual representation. Like... actual asexual characters, not existing characters who burst out the closet with no warning and announce their shift in orientation. I mean, that's obviously a thing that happens... but it's not the only thing that happens and it'd be nice for them to actually create a dedicated ace character. Not pick one of their lesser names to dump it upon.

Sigh. Sorry, I used to read comics a lot and have fallen out of it in the last few years... ever since a talentless Slott took over writing a certain title anyway.

Also, it's funny, I never saw Jughead's behaviour as dismissive when I was younger. But I guess it kinda was, wasn't it?

'Also be careful, the article mentions 'facets' of asexuality. Some here don't think that exists.

Archived