Songs you associate with your gender

The-world-is-quiet-here

The-world-is-quiet-here

Like the title says- what are some songs you associate with your gender? They could be positive, negative, or neutral. 

I made transmasculine and transfeminine playlists on spotify, but the lyric that really stands out to me is: 

"I don't suppose I'll ever know what it means to be a man, something I can just change, I live around it," from Goo Goo Dolls' song Slide.

I'm currently blanking on my gender-y songs, but I'd love to hear what you come up with!

Grumpy Alien

*shrug* 

"Part of Your World" from Little Mermaid 

Even though my situation is vastly different from Ariel's, it's like this world is a sea where even when I accept myself as I am- I still feel like something's off- or a bodily function (menstrating) will make me feel like I don't belong. 

It only occured to me yesterday that Ariel is trans, not in our world's sense of the word, but she went from mermaid to human. Mind you the movie was one of my favourites growing up.

Arvid of Rivendell

"Reflection" from Mulan. (Hopefully I don't have to explain this one.) 

"I'm Still Here" from Treasure Planet - "...You don't know me / And I'll never be what you want / Me to be / And what / Do you think you'd understand / I'm boy, no, I'm a man..."

Those are the only ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

Hmm, the only thing I can think of is this song.

It makes sense to me when I think of my gender.

The-world-is-quiet-here

The Love Club by Lorde and

"I'm in a clique but I want out/ my mother's love is choking me/ I'm sick of words that hang above my head/ what about the kid?/ it's time the kid got free."

White Teeth Teens, also by Lorde. 

"I'll let you in on something big/ I am not a white teeth teen/ I tried to join/ but never did/ the way they are the way they seem/ is something else/ it's in the blood..."

To me, Closer to Fine by Indigo Girls is about being LGBTQ in some way. I guess it could be a gendery song. I can't pick a favorite verse, cause the whole thing is so good. :D 

The Disney ones are interesting. I didn't watch many movies growing up, so I'll have to look them up. :) 

The-world-is-quiet-here
17 minutes ago, Mystic Maya said:

I don't associate any songs with my gender :mellow:

That's okay too :) I was just thinking, if you did, it would be cool to hear about them

Guest And Peggy

Practically the only songs I listen to are from Hamilton, which is set in the 1700s when NB genders were taboo, so I don't really have anything. 

chair jockey

WHen a cismale has gender issues (Johnny Cash, "A Boy Named Sue"):

10 hours ago, Arvid of Rivendell said:

"Reflection" from Mulan. (Hopefully I don't have to explain this one.) 

+1,000 to this. It is my gender anthem.

I would also add some David Bowie to the mix, there are some strong genderfluid themes in them (or so at least I feel). But nothing quite touches my heart like Mulan, which likely has a lot to do with my adoring her as a child.

There are certain songs which get really, really annoying due to their gender-binary lyrics. I'm sure it's not intentional, and heck, it's probably meant to be inclusive, but things like:

"Sing it for the boys,

Sing it for the girls"

- SING by MCR

Like, where does everyone else fall into this? It just seems that whenever a song tries to sound inclusive, they mention boys and girls, but they're missing everything else that's outside and between.

just an owl

Above The Clouds of Pompeii by Bear's Den - "I was the son you always had" is kinda relatable, and Isaac just because it's my chosen name (and some of the lyrics are generally relatable)

I can't really think of many specific songs, but there are definitely lyrics which I'll occasionally come across that I associate with being a guy/being trans.

<No longer active>

the song 'duality' by set it off

'I have a confession that you will not believe/That you could not perceive this freak, gonna set it off/I have a confession, of a side that I hide/It's a cloak or disguise unleashed, gonna get it off

No, I'll never get away/Cause if I try to stray/It only holds me closer/No, I'll never get away/I love it anyway/I'll never stop'

this whole bit just gets me. I don't have a messed up view of my gender identity, but it feels like everyone else does... my parents dont believe in anything but male + female

'i am human/and that's all i've ever wanted to be'

HONORABLE MENTION

MY SONGS KNOW WHAT YOU DID IN THE DARK by Fall out boy

the whole song, honestly, but especially these bits 'Burn everything you love, then burn the ashes/In the end everything collides/My childhood spat back out the monster that you see' it's like saying this is me, and there's not a thing you can do about it

Well, since "Reflection" from Mulan was already said... "How Far I'll Go" from Moana. Funny how many Disney songs people mentioned.

Journey to the Past from Anastasia (1997)- soon to be on Broadway :D:D:D (I can't wait to get the B'way soundtrack :D

Spoiler

Agnes Obel "It's Happening Again"

_____Because on a daily basis, I'm reminded that I live in a world that my asexuality is a crutch because it's not majority.  It's deep horrible horrific suspenseful sounds like this song that reminds me that there are dark things going on in the minds of a lot of people.

Dido "My Lover's Gone"

_____My boots are no longer by the door.

Florrie "Wanna Control Myself"

_____The things that I want to control, I control.  This song reminds me that I do a pretty great job at keeping it in my pants.  When the bridge comes in; it sends euphoria all over my brain & I forget who I am for a brief second.

Kalenna "Morning After"

_____Reminds me of all of the dancing strength I have retained in my body.

Missy Elliott "Bad Man"

_____I know I'm a bad man...

Neon Jungle "Bad Man"

_____Seriously, I'm a bad man...

Radiohead "Sail To the Moon"

_____Reminds me of what I would want if I ever had a son; mind you, that it's not going to happen but this is a song about having a son.

Rich White Ladies "Love Is For the Week"

_____Reminds me why I love female voices over tracks.  They sound way better & I wouldn't be into myself if I was rapping & singing this song. ^_^

RichGirl "He Ain't With Me Now Tho"

_____An old buddy of mine said I had a sweet singing voice one day.  We were chilling on cam, playing a video game; I was singing, not very close to the cam, but he heard every word.  Ever since then I've been becoming more comfortable with singing around people.  I listen to mostely female vocalists & rappers; but I always perform like a man.

Robyn "Jack U Off"

_____Obvious, should be obvious...

Santogold "Who Be Lovin Me"

_____I got boys around the world, who be lovin me...

Tessa Thompson "Shed You"

_____Definitely reminds me that boys cannot vocalize as great as females...

Whale Tooth "Growing Pains"

_____'I'm afraid that when I'm older, this will all make sense.'

People are people by Depeche Mode.

It's obvious you hate me

Though I've done nothing wrong

Help me understand 

People are people

So why should it be

You and I should get along so awfully

I can't understand

What makes a man

Hate another man 

Help me understand

• 3 weeks later...
SamwiseLovesLife
On 11/03/2017 at 8:54 PM, Mystic Maya said:

I don't associate any songs with my gender :mellow:

**Not related** What does your 'Delvairomantic' term mean? I've never heard it before :) Thank you x

• 2 weeks later...

I used to associate "Best of both worlds" by Hannah Montana to my gender. The song is not about genders, but in my mind it represented being bigender and me having the best things of both gender's "worlds". In these days I'm so much towards "feminine world", it doesn't really represent how I feel anymore.

Ashes Floating

"Scarecrow" by Clairity. I don't know why it feels that way to me, but it really connects.

<No longer active>

Nearly every song I have on my IPod speaks to me at some level (I can't say much for gangnam style tbh), but the entire Keane album, Strangeland, is incredibly powerful and relevant to me.

Sea Fog is like depression and dysphoria, Sovereign Light Café is about making it, Neon River is about questioning and coming out, You are Young is about transitioning, and so on...

I can just hear them now
"How could you let us down?"
But they don't know what I found
Or see it from this way around
Feeling it overtake
All that I used to hate
Worried 'bout every trait
I tried but it's way too late
All the signs I don't read
Two sides of me can't agree
When I breathe in too deep
Going with what I always longed for

-

Finally taking flight
I know you don't think it's right
I know that you think it's fake
Maybe fake's what I like
Point is I have the right
Not thinking in black and white
I'm thinking it's worth the fight
Soon to be out of sight
Knowing it all this time
Going with what I always longed for

Ooh guys! I came across a song for all my Androgynous friends out there~

"Androgynous" by Jhameel

The chorus kind of goes for any non-cis gender though.

Very poetic~ I love all of his music.

• 2 weeks later...
LuckofTheChuck

I can't fix you By The Living Tombstone:
Is it because I can't be her?

made your mistakes and make me hurt, I can't fix you.

another part:

I'm running out of patience to pretend
This isn't how I'll let it end
My feigning fading

Dance to forget By TryHardNinja:

Normal is just a dream
For all the ghosts like me
Like me

I hate my metal bones
My bones and gears creak in my chest
My chest forever cold
A cold and maddening descent
Descending down so far
Fall farther 'til there's nothing left
I'm left here in the dark
The dark
I dance to forget
I dance to forget

Daddy's Little Monsters by Jordan Lacore and TryHardNinja:

How can we ever be free
When our prison is skin-deep?
Left to rust, underneath
Buried us down below so no one sees
Daddy's little monsters

another part:

We don't want to stay under lock and key
You can help break the curse, we all wanna leave
Wanna leave

another part:

If we could only shed our shells
Wear a mask and escape these cells
On the surface, we could start new
We could go if we looked like you
It's time for us to make the switch
It only stings for a little bit

littlepersonparadox

Mirror Mirror Part 2 from RWBY ESPECIALLY the chorus personally for me this song works for me on SO may levels. 

Some people get feels every now and then from Moana - When Moui goes "I'm just a ordinary demi-guy! in your welcome" and how far I'll go I think is the title could be wrong from the same move,  some trans guys connect with that. 

Coyote Graces "Daughterson" and "For all man in exile" by california Pizza kitten. both FTM songs. Change out a few words in Disney's "Sh'es so gone." by lemonade mouth and you get a ideal transmasculine song. One song I REALLY got into for awhile was BROTHER from July Talk (note this song is super depressing.) https://genius.com/July-talk-brother-lyrics 

Finally there is that few lines in mariana trenches Good to you: "And I still have your letter just got caught between
Someone I just invented, who I really am and who I've become
"  

Dodecahedron314

Daughterson is great, I've seen it on a few trans playlists on 8tracks. Also, hi there, littlepersonparadox, it's been a while! *offers welcome back :cake:*

• 5 months later...
J. van Deijck

I generally perceive the whole aggrotech and powernoise genre as masculine, but that's probably not a thing.

Archived