What are your religious beliefs?

Dreamer23

What are your religious beliefs?  

322 members have voted

1. 1. Which Religion do you most identify with?

• Christianity
    • Islam
    • Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist
    • Hinduism
    • Chinese traditional religion
    • Buddhism
    • Ethnic religions
    • African traditional religions
    • Sikhism
    • Spiritism
    • Judaism
    • Other (Please specify!)

This poll is closed to new votes

J. van Deijck

atheist.

so far, I see that atheist/agnostic is the most common answer.

41 minutes ago, Homer said:

Deeply anti-religious person here.

That being said, I still like visiting churches because they're awesome buildings to look at, especially given the conditions they were built in. 

Yet the concept of religion doesn't make any sense to me in the slightest. But if religion is for you, go for it. Just don't expect me to take part in anything.

I'm convinced that it would be so fucking rad if cathedrals could be made into concert halls for metal bands. 

chair jockey

That's complicated. I'm a practising atheist but sympathetic to people of faith and see a place in the world for faith. My focus is on not blaming anyone when things suck for everyone, for the reason that in that case they do happen to suck for everyone.

AshenPhoenix
6 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

None, but I am an animist and can be quite 'spiritual', if you like.

Hey, same here! Animistic Agnostic to an extent. I believe that there's more than likely something out there. But I would believe whatever that force is to essentially be the culmination of whatever collective unconscious and/or spiritual energies of all beings in the universe. So for me animism is kind of blended into a religious practiced, but to a very, very small extent. Since there is still little to no practice, it's just taking animism a step further and saying that the spirit of everything is connected in some way, shape, or form. And that... Whatever that is culminates into a higher power. 

As for my personal stances and reasonings. For me, religion/theism in general is kind of a contradictory and/or love/hate relationship. On some level, I believe rationalism is the pure and honest truth, everything can and will be explained in time, that's logical, that makes sense, and I see no other practical solution other than to say "Well, even if we cannot 100% refute every single thing you say, that's only because we haven't discovered the evidence to do so yet, so I'm going to wait it out". And for a long time, that rational side drove me to be extremely atheistic/antithiestic. But there is also a portion of me that believes... Even if it's not logical, doesn't mean you can't believe in something. As of now, when I speak about the subject of Atheism vs Theism, I talk about it in terms of professional wrestling/ WWE tournaments. In america, yes, everyone knows that it's fake, fake as all high hell, and that most of the time anyone beyond the age of 12 begins to realize it's fake. But a lot of the time fans will insist it's real just to immerse themselves in it and have fun. For me, religion is the same thing. Even if, logically, it can make no sense, a suspension of disbelief and logic for the purposes of faith, happiness, and empowerment is perfectly fine, and I see no reason trying to argue theism with logic, because theism by it's very definition doesn't need/adhere to logic. So... Why not just let the two coexist. As long as people aren't using religion as an excuse to refute scientific evidence because reasons, I see no reason why the two even need to collide in the first place.

tl;dr: Even if it feels like religion makes no goddamn sense, I'm cool with letting myself think it does. And obviously letting others do their thing.

16 hours ago, Ortac said:

I think that it would have been better for the poll not to lump agnostic and atheist together in the same category, as they are fundamentally different things. 

Sorry, just copied those groups over from the linked resource :(

I probably also should've made them alphabetical rather than by number of adherents :/

nolongerinterested...

I am an atheist leaning more towards anti-theist. While I'm sure religion has some pros to it, all I see is the destruction and negativity it causes. My children are raised in a very secular household where they are taught to be decent human beings to everyone despite our differences. They are also taught that there are consequences to their actions and no amount of prayer or faith will get them out of a bad situation. They are the only ones who will be responsible for their actions. 

Antitheistic, and anti-religious as well 

TheCatBehind
18 hours ago, Homer said:

That being said, I still like visiting churches because they're awesome buildings to look at.

^ This! Yes!

I'm an atheist. I just don't believe in a religion because it all sounds malarkey to me. But that's just me, if anyone else cares, then sure, do that.

Atheist. I'm also against religion when it makes people do awful things. In other cases I don't mind what others believe in.

Grumpy Alien
2 minutes ago, Lemonasculine said:

Islam. Looks like I'm the only Muslim here...

Definitely not! Just the only one that answered the poll :P 

Speaking of, I was just thinking of @Cereal Tendencies as I ate my cereal. Where ya at, Cereal??

Agnostic Atheist and Tantric Buddhist.

NerotheReaper

No religion for me, I was raised in a religious family and wasn't happy. I questioned and challenged the beliefs, and that is a huge 'no-no'. 

PrefrontalVortex
On 3/7/2017 at 9:42 PM, Mystic Maya said:

Where is the Delvaism option

This religion is so under-represented

I couldn't find any info on this, but I love to study religion. What is Delvaism?

Also, I picked Sikhism. Although I was raised in the Christian tradition, I fell away from it after studying the Guru Granth Sahib. I wouldn't consider myself a practicioner of the religion, but I certianly identify most strongly with it and it greatly influences my spirituality. Who else picked Sikhism? I'd love to find out, I never meet anyone else! ^_^

Hermit Advocate

Agnostic Atheist. 

I identify as a secular humanist, because it sums up my beliefs (or lack thereof) and values concerning religion pretty well. Plenty of people don't know what that is, though, so I usually tell them I'm an atheist.

I was a hateful atheist at one point. I still have a complete disdain for religion, I just choose not to get into unnecessary arguments over it unless it starts elbowing its way into my life.

I'm an agnostic atheist. I actually used to be a hellfire-and-brimstone fundamentalist Christian, but hallelujah, I saw the light! ;) (No belittling of anyone's beliefs intended. For me, atheism was "the light" because I personally used to be an extremely judgmental bigot and now I'm a much nicer, more rational person without religion. I realize this is not true for everyone.)

I believe in one god but I am not a part of any particular religion. I don't think any religion is entirely or even mostly right.

TheGrumpyBear

I was raised Missouri Synod Lutheran. I stuck with it until I just couldn't stand it. I've been atheist ever since.

Knight of Cydonia

Raised Christian but I could never get on board with it. I'm atheist.

I have no idea. It's very complicated. I do have some things I believe are most likely, but they don't fit into one religion.

I usually say agnostic or Jewish if I'm asked.

Other - nonconfessional panentheist (and an agnostic theist - lumping agnosticism in with atheism a flaw of this poll... just because someone is agnostic doesn't mean they don't believe in (a) god(s) ).

• 2 months later...

Archived