The Metalhead Fortress

SaturnOOO

14 minutes ago, Shieldmaiden WinterDragon said:

I never came across this band before O_o they're good.

That was actually one of my top albums of 2007, another one that was grossly overlooked, IMO!

@Amnesiac for when you wake up: what's your favourite Mastodon album? I enjoy Crack the Skye, especially when I'm in a party type mood... But for the most part I think my tastes are always too dark and tortured to get into them too deeply :lol:. What do you think is their best work?

• Like 1
SithAzathoth WinterDragon

This was the first, one of the first songs that got me into Arch Enemy in 2011.

History of me (im tempted to link bands but there would be too many so ill just write a long history :)

Started in the 90s with stratovarius/helloween/manowar + waltari yeah yeah die die death metal symphony in deep c (only metal cd from waltari) Honorary mention to arch enemy for scaring the shit out of me when i was 15ish, thanks to that i havent listened to them at all, im pretty sure id like them these days :)

Then in the early 2000 children of bodom/sentenced/eternal tears of sorrow/amorphis/nightwish/marilyn manson/paradise lost/within temptation

2010ish Diablo/amon amarth/ensiferum/swallow the sun/judas priest

Last couple of years ive become interested in "techno with growling" centhron/dioxyde(first album, not the french rap artist dioxyde btw) /fgfc820/freakangel

There are more but i feel those mentioned are worth mentioning more than the rest :)

favourite mode of listening is all those bands/artists on playlist playing random :)

Not really looking for new artists anymore, that "tehcno" was accidental discovery, pretty happy with the amount of mp3s i have to rotate around

edit i tend to like older stuff of bands for some reason. Say band has released 6 cds i tend to like more first 2 or 3. I often stop listening to bands after few first albums.

• Like 2
Rare Aztec Whstling Chickn

• Like 3
8 hours ago, SaturnOOO said:

@Amnesiac for when you wake up: what's your favourite Mastodon album? I enjoy Crack the Skye, especially when I'm in a party type mood... But for the most part I think my tastes are always too dark and tortured to get into them too deeply :lol:. What do you think is their best work?

At the moment, Blood Mountain. Crack the Skye is cool and definitely worth the hype around it but I don't enjoy them as much when they go completely prog. The rumblings in the press though is that their upcoming album is the best thing they've written, so fingers crossed for that! I get the too dark and tortured thing, I'm kinda similar in that respect (Sam's vocals in Architects, now that is a dude who has a tortured sounding scream!), I tend to enjoy music that is either heavy as balls or complete chaos like Dillinger Escape Plan :P Mastodon are just one of those that are undeniable to me however haha.

• Like 1
Luftschlosseule

Iron Maiden. Now and forever.

You should have seen the face of my dad as he realised what kind of music I listen to, he seemed to have been afraid of raising a child that want nothing but mainstream pop.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, SaturnOOO said:

@Antihero.! Just the person I wanted to see, actually. I have a question for you (and all other self-professed lovers of the pagan/viking genres:

The band Hades: What is your opinion?

And before you answer, I'll give you mine. I've held firmly to this opinion for almost 15 years, so I wouldn't be surprised if this turned into a rant.

Hades released ...Again Shall Be in 1994 for Pete's sake, and it's TO DATE, and I'm not even exaggerating here, one of the best damn Pagan/Viking black metal albums ever released. And yet I've found this band has been completely overlooked by both the "trve Norwegian black metal" scene AND the Pagan/Viking scenes. Why??

And: thanks for starting off this thread! I haven't listened to Falkenbach in YEARS!!

I enjoy the music of Hades and I agree with you that ...Again Shall Be is an amazing album that deserves more attention. Why the band gets widely overlooked is a good question I’ve never even thought about and I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to.

Here is the album. Listen to it everyone who hasn’t before it’s definitely worth it:

@Urishir seems I'm younger than you, but it's awesome to see someone who's been listening that long here!! I got into metal in my late teens, so early 2000s ish. I was a big Porcupine Tree fan in high school, and they often collaborated with / mentioned the band Opeth. Checked them out because anyone Porcupine Tree thought was cool I must like too XD and from there I was hooked! (And Arch Enemy is definitely no scarier than Bodom, so I know you'd be fine :P)

@Tal Shi'ar COOL VID... Had to look this band up because this old granny has been out of touch in the past couple of years. Damn Marion's got some lungs on her!!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Amnesiac said:

At the moment, Blood Mountain. Crack the Skye is cool and definitely worth the hype around it but I don't enjoy them as much when they go completely prog.

Interesting. I'll have to revisit Blood Mountain because I have often been in the mood for something a bit different lately, and that's one of those bands that tends to get lost in the recesses of my mind and is probably worth a revisit every couple of years!

2 hours ago, Antihero. said:

I enjoy the music of Hades and I agree with you that ...Again Shall Be is an amazing album that deserves more attention. Why the band gets widely overlooked is a good question I’ve never even thought about and I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to.

Here is the album. Listen to it everyone who hasn’t before it’s definitely worth it:

Do it kids! The album is on Spotify too, which is awesome, because it's been traditionally really hard to find (yes, I come from an era where we had to actually go out and look for the albums we wanted :P) This album is EPIC, and it's one of the blots on metal history that it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. 

Moral of the story: next person to claim that Nordland I was the first viking album gets temporarily banned from the fortress (OK realistically that would last 5 minutes because I adore my metal sisthren and brethren too much to actually stick to it :P)

Edit: p.s. Their 1996 Dawn of the Dying Sun is awesome too.

• Like 1

• Like 1

I used to also listen to Children of Bodom, Strapping Young Lad, and Sentenced. Those were artists that were recommended to me a few years ago when I was looking for something on the darker side. I still listen to Sentenced every now and then too. A few of my favorite Sentenced songs, "Neverlasting", "Cross my Heart and Hope to Die" and "Excuse me While I Kill Myself". Kind of depressing lyrics, but I love the sound most of all.

• Like 1

Those are "newer" sentenced, stuff i really love about them is much older :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzWhK9aBSbE (-96)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8bbD68Umvo (-98)

even older stuff 

Shadows of the Past (1991-1993) (first album, awesome)

North from Here (1993-1994)  (second album also awesome)

Couple of the first bodom albums are also my favourites of theirs

• Like 2

Sentenced older stuff does seem to have a more darker sound. I have the "Greatest Hits" album which has some of the older songs, and two of the newer ones "The Cold White Light" and "The Funeral Album".

• Like 1
J. van Deijck

so I'm not technically a metalhead,  but metal is my second favourite, can I just contribute a bit please?

I used to love black, death and funeral doom metal the most. in fact, these genres still hold a special place in my heart.

however, my two main favourite bands are Katatonia and At The Gates. there are more of course, I'll try to list them when I find the time.

• Like 2
Luftschlosseule

Hey, I managed to squeeze in although I seldom listen to music due to ear problems, so you should be welcome here, too.

But I have to say that I experience music on a different level when I only listen consciously to it instead of having a constant background noise every second like I used to.

• Like 1
J. van Deijck

you know, I have about 50 dB hearing loss, so I probably perceive music differently than people who hear well :D

it's always good to share the experience, though.

58 minutes ago, UVB-76 said:

so I'm not technically a metalhead,  but metal is my second favourite, can I just contribute a bit please?

I used to love black, death and funeral doom metal the most. in fact, these genres still hold a special place in my heart.

What's your favourite funeral doom band UVB?

42 minutes ago, Luftschlosseule said:

Hey, I managed to squeeze in although I seldom listen to music due to ear problems, so you should be welcome here, too.

But I have to say that I experience music on a different level when I only listen consciously to it instead of having a constant background noise every second like I used to.

Metal isn't in the ears it's in the blood. All who have it are welcome! :D

That's really interesting though; I can relate somewhat, though not due to hearing loss. Lately I've been listening to music less constantly and in some ways it makes me more exacting with what I want from it. But in other ways listening to it constantly sometimes allowed me to pick up nuances I wouldn't necessarily otherwise so... Hmm. I do think sometimes It's good to take a break though :) 

34 minutes ago, UVB-76 said:

you know, I have about 50 dB hearing loss, so I probably perceive music differently than people who hear well :D

it's always good to share the experience, though.

Interesting... And very possible!

• Like 1
J. van Deijck

it's probably very likely :D

my phone has the magic ability to adjust the sound to the owner's hearing, so I probably already hear more :D (50 dB loss is when you still hear speech, but are unable to recognise words.)

for funeral doom, or at least anything that is close to funeral doom, I adore mostly Shape of Despair, Evoken and Ataraxie. then there are more doom metal bands, but I'm not that sure if they're still funeral :D

anyways, who could expect it from a person who favours aggressive electronic music. xD  

• Like 1

Yeahhhh Burzum! I am one of those people who likes the entire discography. Each album is different but all are so good in their own way. Lunatic man, but can't deny he's got talent :D.

This thread can't go onto a third page without DEATH!

• Like 2
Rare Aztec Whstling Chickn

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1
Luftschlosseule

Another thing: When you have really good hardware somewhere and you feel the music in your tummy and it kind of changes with the melody - for that you don't need your ears. <3

I have psychosomatic tinnitus with a hyperacusis, which means that my tolerance for when sounds are going to hurt is much lower than that of the average person. I have random noise in my ears and they may shut down for a time. I had to adjust to that, and didn't listen to music for a long time. In this timeframe, I started reading books in English and watching films likewise, and greatly improved my understanding. So, as I re-started listening to music it was also a kind of re-discovering since I now am able to understand most of the lyrics instead of just a bit here and there or having to read the texts. It's like falling in love a second time with the same thing. Now I am able to recognize stylistic devices or puns, it's great!

• Like 1

Speaking of thrash (ahem, power thrash? Progressive groove/ thrash?) an old favourite: 

And its power precursor: 

I'm a sucker for Warrel Dane's voice :D