The Metalhead Fortress

SaturnOOO

Anyone who claims Brits cannot make death metal have never listened to Bolt Thrower.

Spoiler

Some excellent melodic death from Sweden. 50/50 clean/harsh vocals. First three albums are killer. Latest album is quite good.

Spoiler

New album by Windhand. Jolly good doom.

Spoiler

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So is this just a place for sharing songs, or is there general discussion about metal as well?

Its been mostly songs but try some general discussion and see how it goes, at worst it gets moved to new subject, so no harm in trying.

(i dont actually have any authority on the matter just my opinion)

As a start: 

• What are some bands you like?
  • What about them makes them stand out to you? 
  •  What are your thoughts on Power Metal? It's not a controversial topic at all, just a general question.

My Answers:

• The Black Dahlia Murder, Oathbreaker, At the Gates, Harakiri for the Sky, Sacramentum, Skeletonwitch, Agalloch, etc. I've also started to appreciate the music of Elderwind.
  • When I listen to music, I always look for the tone of a song. Some of the bands listed here have a sound that is melancholic and sorrowful, while others have a sound that has a drive to seek for something more than what is on the surface. What they all have in common is they each have a unique use of melody that can make one who appreciates classical music adore the "sway and flow" of their songs, so to speak :P.

As an example

- The Black Dahlia Murder -  Nocturnal

-  Oathbreaker -  10:56 / Second Son of R.

- At the Gates -  At War with Reality

- Harakiri for the Sky - Calling the Rain (Truly a beautiful song)

- Elderwind - Last Winter's Night

Perhaps the style and sound can be seen as repetitive to some who have made their way through metal, but I feel these bands and the songs they produce are more than the usual metal.

• I don't listen to Power Metal enough to develop a firm opinion with more detail. However, I do appreciate the energy that the genre gives. If anyone has recommendations, I'd happily welcome them. 
Edited by Silk Bones

Every time I see this thread i think it's about the Metalheads in Jak and Daxter.

latest?cb=20150123202421

@Silk Bones

As for my favourite bands: https://www.last.fm/user/Piotr1981

I like my metal melodic and most of the bands I listen to do pay attention to their melodies.

I'm not big on power metal, but I do listen to it every now and then.

As for energetic power metal, check out these songs:

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 2

1: https://open.spotify.com/user/hxrw78m7bjg9unxglddeqir3a/playlist/15TPgS9RMzDMOn73jhlknT?si=VP2HqNTXS2SrheyAYQm4Kw

This is a Spotify playlist I made, which has got most of the stuff I listen to mostly these days. That I've managed to remember to add so far that is.

2: Most commonly, it's a combination of riffs that I find rhythmic or melodic or that is somehow really identifiable and catchy to me, as well as vocals.

3: It's not something I've really gone near. I wouldn't be against if say, I come across a band that gets my attention, that I'd love them.

• Like 2

@Piotrek Awesome, another Dark Tranquility fan! Also, Altaria is pretty good. Listening to them reminded me of Heroes of Our Time by DragonForce. Altaria is much more calmer though haha. I'll need to look into their songs more. Thank you for the recommendation. ^_^

Spoiler

@Una Salus Victus I'm surprised you like iwrestledabearonce. Although I'm mainly familiar with their old music than anything recent, I really appreciated how Courtney's vocals forms harmoniously with the bands sound. Alike to how Evanescence sounds as one, it's tranquil in a way.  

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Silk Bones said:

@Piotrek Awesome, another Dark Tranquility fan! Also, Altaria is pretty good. Listening to them reminded me of Heroes of Our Time by DragonForce. Altaria is much more calmer though haha. I'll need to look into their songs more. Thank you for the recommendation. ^_^

Reveal hidden contents

@Una Salus Victus I'm surprised you like iwrestledabearonce. Although I'm mainly familiar with their old music than anything recent, I really appreciated how Courtney's vocals forms harmoniously with the bands sound. Alike to how Evanescence sounds as one, it's tranquil in a way.  

Yeah, some of their older stuff was ok when Krysta was singing for them, but there was something about Courtney that I liked that tiny bit more.

Mm yeah I can have a bit of a weird taste sometimes. Now and again I'll come across a random band that I'll like, but usually struggle to like anything else related or similar.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Una Salus Victus said:

Yeah, some of their older stuff was ok when Krysta was singing for them, but there was something about Courtney that I liked that tiny bit more.

Mm yeah I can have a bit of a weird taste sometimes. Now and again I'll come across a random band that I'll like, but usually struggle to like anything else related or similar.

I haven't listened to iwrestledabearonce in a while. Maybe I should go listen to them now. The main thing I remember about them is just coming across a music video on youtube and being very comfused.

I decided to check these guys out after hearing this morning that they're touring with Ne Obliviscaris and Beyond Creation next year:

• 4 weeks later...

Just discovered these guys and will certainly delve deeper into albums next year:

Spoiler

Any doom metal fans in this fortress? I'm a huge fan of Celtic Frost, Conan, and Om/High on Fire/ Sleep. Its a refreshing alternative to a lot of what is going on in music these days. This is Sunn 0))) and I just found them. 

I may have already posted a piece by Progenie Terrestre Pura, but here goes:

From their demo:

Spoiler

From their later release:

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Fluffy Femme Guy

• Like 1
Fluffy Femme Guy

I've managed to find a decent length melodeath playlist on youtube made by a channel called UnknownMelodeath. Hopefully there's some good ones some of you guys might like:

• Like 1

Thanks for the playlist, seems im going to end up buying something from soulglass found from that playlist, if they have anything for sale yet...

Edit since this is last post here ill just edit to add something :)

once upon a second hand store i noticed a cd, bought it for its cover and loved the music. Sadly i never found anything else by the band, i guess i just failed googling before (over 10 years ago) because today i found some information including youtube videos (band only made 1 album and there is atleast 1 other band with same name)

I like the lyrics

Edited by Urishir
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Something from recent releases:

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 1
Sage Raven Domino
35 minutes ago, Mewtwo said:

Pizza, anyone?

Isn't the 'One More Slice' at 1:46 a reference to the band called so? :blush:

Sage Raven Domino

Sorry for posting alternative metal, but I've been handed a perfect Valentine's gift - my celebrity squish has been signed by Napalm Records, I can't contain myself :blush:

Spoiler

@Una Salus Victus

I've been listening to the playlist you've posted. I may be just my luck, but many of the bands I've heard sound like they are heavily influenced by Wintesun/Ensiferum.

An interesting exception:

Spoiler

@Ricki

A new track by Valhalore:

Spoiler

• Like 3
Fluffy Femme Guy

• Like 1
Fluffy Femme Guy