The Metalhead Fortress

SaturnOOO

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I've been a metalhead for over 11 years now. I started listening to my dad's old albums; Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, ect. Over the years I've listened to nearly every metal genre but right now I'm mostly into power and atmospheric black metal. Here are some of my favorite songs.

WINGS OF ANU ANU ANU ANU ANU ANU ANU

Welcome @Torolf and @Peachyy!

Great submissions. I love Inquisition, though I am much more familiar with their older stuff. I was supposed to see them a few weeks back: they were still advertised as the main support band and their merch people were there (got a t-shirt, obvs,) but for whatever reason the band didn't play :( 

A song about a tree! I think, honestly many of their texts are much to poetic for me to actually fully understand... 

But this is from one of my favorite CDs

Also I've seen these guys twice (with the new singer, not the old one, so not the dude singing in this song) and I'd still go out of my way to see them again. Well, I guess I only really "saw" them once, the second time even though I was in the front row there were so many crowd surfers, including a guy in a wheelchair, I didn't actually really see any thing XD ..

Oh, and because they are awesome, here's a song about a dude who plays a fiddle and stuff :D

amazing album (Sagas), spectacular... 

funny thing, the first song I ever heard from this band was "Blut im Auge" from this album, later I went to look what album my favorite songs from the band were on, just to discover they were all on the same album... 

Spoiler

other albums on my favorites list are like Stand up and Fight from Turisas and Legend of the Shadowking from Freedom Call..

• Like 2

J. van Deijck

I used to love Finnish melodic death metal a lot, this band still means much to me.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, UVB-76 said:

I used to love Finnish melodic death metal a lot, this band still means much to me.

Finnish melodic death metal, how do you like Norther then? 
I really liked them before Petri left. They were great. After Petri had left them they weren’t good anymore though. 

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
3 minutes ago, Antihero. said:

Finnish melodic death metal, how do you like Norther then? 
I really liked them before Petri left. They were great. After Petri had left them they weren’t good anymore though. 

yeah! I still have a big sentiment for Norther *owns their whole discography* :D I don't get why they're being compared to Children of Bodom, to me they sound much better!

fun fact: the new singer of Norther and the singer of Medicated are actually the same person. :P

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, UVB-76 said:

I don't get why they're being compared to Children of Bodom, to me they sound much better!

Never got that either!  And even though I like Children Of Bodom I think Norther were better too. 

• Like 1
J. van Deijck

Just sang along to this one

just one more song that will always have a special place in my heart. :3

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
35 minutes ago, Antihero. said:

Never got that either!  And even though I like Children Of Bodom I think Norther were better too. 

it's been said that one band was the influence for another, but there is still a difference in their sound, right? they don't really sound like each other :huh:

two more bands that have fallen into that comparison:

Made of Hate is from Poland. :D

Do we have to be metalheads or can steamies with a fondness for metal reside here too?

• Like 1

^I'm currently listening to them :lol: 

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
30 minutes ago, Tainted said:

Do we have to be metalheads or can steamies with a fondness for metal reside here too?

I am here while I'm not a metalhead, so it says much enough :P

Whoa! So much to catch up on. Welcome @XYZ96 and thanks for all the contributions everyone! 

@Tainted a fondness is acceptable... Feel free to share your fondest metal thoughts or songs!

@Antihero. I really appreciate how Summoning in "Let Mortal Heroes..." Achieves this really epic sound while maintaining a sparse, stark atmosphere instead of just glutting everything with synth. I think it's pretty unique in that way!

Hmm so there's been a lot of epic stuff lately... To upset or to not upset the status quo?? 

Since I'm not one to derail a good conversation :ph34r: I guess I'll bite. Anyone like Borknagar? They've had their ups and downs over the years, but "The Olden Domain" is still an excellent and ealbum.

• Like 1

@SaturnOOO I just gave Borknagar a listen, they're cool but not for me really. I'm still quite picky with Black Metal sounding stuff, early days :P 

• Like 1

@Amnesiac that's totally understandable. I have that reaction to a lot of things. I love one thing about it but can't get past another aspect that, say, reminds me of bands I find overrated or styles I generally find annoying, etc. I got into the band Isis because I loved the music but spent a while really hating the vocals and wishing they just made instrumental music. It was a while before I started appreciating the vocals too, but now I can't imagine their music without. 

Gorguts: flawless Canadian technical death metal :D

just gonna leave this here while I pass through :ph34r:...

• Like 2