Article: "An asexual's defense of Jughead kissing Betty on Riverdale"

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/riverdale-jughead-asexual-defense.html

An important thing to consider is that Jughead’s preferences are being reduced to whether or not he is asexual, which takes away from the nuance of the asexual spectrum, which is wide and varied. Some of the better articles discussing Jughead’s orientation point out that he might not necessarily be aromantic, even if he is asexual.

ChillaKilla

Exactly. Kissing doesn't automatically make someone not ace.

Kissing may not mean that the character is not asexual, true. However, the kissing scene was so bogus and unreal, I had to roll my eyes. He and Betty work better as friends. And, yes, I did watch that episode (it was on after Supernatural and I was too lazy to change the station).

I watched it yesterday. It felt very out-of-the-blue. The writers could have left well enough alone. But yeah, kissing doesn't necessarily mean NOT ace.

I haven't watched the episode, or the show, because I don't have cable, but I've seen the scene and I've been following the articles about Jughead. I've noticed that most people who comment on the kiss or write about it don't seem to realize that asexuality and aromanticism aren't the same thing. I don't know if they would go this route, but it would be interesting to see him come to the realization of his asexuality and what that means for him. I think it might be a more meaningful way to introduce asexuality to mainstream media than just making a throwaway comment that he's asexual and never addressing it again, although that would definitely be better than nothing.

CrochetFool

@CFilipek, if Cole Sprouse has his way that's exactly what they'll do. :)

I for one would LOVE to see Jughead going through the same process of realization we've all gone through. That would mean SO much for aces!

Besides, my head-canon Betty has always leaned towards grey-A anyway. ;)

@CrochetFool I think it would be a great arc for Jughead and I really hope Cole Sprouse gets his way. It might mean some more emotional drama for poor Jughead, but it would be nice to have some real representation.

My head-canon leans that way too, but most of my head-canons tend to make characters asexual, gray-ace, or demisexual. I still have to remind myself that not everyone has a lack of interest in sex, so that definitely influences how I perceive characters that aren't overtly sexual.

I just can't bring myself to care. It's just bad writing and shouldn't be treated as anything else. But yeah, this article's completely right.

• 2 weeks later...

My aggravation has little to do with the kiss. Jughead has almost always been romance-repulsed and has come across strongly as aromantic. Not to mention the writers have stated that Jughead is not asexual in Riverdale. So not only did they take away his romantic orientation, but they are ignoring his sexual one too.

If Jughead had expressed even being romance indifferent, as opposed to his straight up repulsion for all things romantic, and the writers not come out and said they were changing his sexual orientation for the show, I'd be way more OK with him and Betty dating.

Archived