a gender positive thread

butterflydreams

I painted my fingernails for the first time the other day, and I love them like a cool pillow on a sweltering summer night. (They're bright red with a touch of shimmer.)

• Like 10
5 hours ago, RacheI said:

I painted my fingernails for the first time the other day, and I love them like a cool pillow on a sweltering summer night. (They're bright red with a touch of shimmer.)

Nice :D 

I like to paint mine sometimes. But I usually remove it if I'm going to be somewhere where people might see it close up.

• Like 4

I'm very bad at it, but it makes me happy to add that splash of color, so f* it, gonna do it.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Zagadka... but Ukrainian said:

I'm very bad at it, but it makes me happy to add that splash of color, so f* it, gonna do it.

One thing I found recently that helps me is some masking fluid you can paint around your nails first so you don't get too much polish outside of the nail area. The masking stuff peels off easily after the polish dries. I wonder if you could even use something like regular white glue for the same purpose.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, daveb said:

One thing I found recently that helps me is some masking fluid you can paint around your nails first so you don't get too much polish outside of the nail area. The masking stuff peels off easily after the polish dries. I wonder if you could even use something like regular white glue for the same purpose.

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea, better than trying to paint them as clean as possible and still messing up. 

• Like 4
Lysandre, the Star-Crossed

Hopefully someone needed this today, I know I did...

• Like 8

I'm super late to the party, but I finally got my first binder! I've been cheaping out with sports bras and baggy shirts this whole time because my chest is pretty small to begin with, so I didn't feel like I really "needed" an actual binder. But my boobs would still poke out just a tiny bit with some of my less-baggy shirts, so I decided to stop being cheap and treat myself, lol.

What I love about this binder is that it extends below the stomach, so it looks just like a regular tank top. I wear a lot of tanks, so now I can just wear this thing in the summer without having to worry about boob bumps or bra straps poking out!

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 10:54 AM, Barbio said:

I'm super late to the party, but I finally got my first binder! I've been cheaping out with sports bras and baggy shirts this whole time because my chest is pretty small to begin with, so I didn't feel like I really "needed" an actual binder. But my boobs would still poke out just a tiny bit with some of my less-baggy shirts, so I decided to stop being cheap and treat myself, lol.

What I love about this binder is that it extends below the stomach, so it looks just like a regular tank top. I wear a lot of tanks, so now I can just wear this thing in the summer without having to worry about boob bumps or bra straps poking out!

I just wanted to tell you that I admire you for doing that. I've had one in an online shopping cart for a while but keep trying to do the job with what I have already....sports bras shelf bras and loose shirts with strategically located pockets. You have almost inspired me to push the button and buy the thing.

• Like 5

I needed to buy some new shorts for the summer, which I was kind of dreading because dysphoria, but I was pleasantly surprised at how non-dysphoria-inducing Vans clothing is (thank you mom!) I also finally got some swim trunks, yay! 

On 4/20/2022 at 1:39 PM, froglady said:

You have almost inspired me to push the button and buy the thing.

Do it! 

• Like 5

Thanks! Scared myself but I did it. It won't arrive for a while. I hope it deals with the boob problem. Ok , I am going to rant a little. please forgive me or something. I am so sick of feeling my boobs against my clothing and also of being judged by them. Judgement by boob is something I am very very tired of. 

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, froglady said:

Thanks! Scared myself but I did it. It won't arrive for a while. I hope it deals with the boob problem. Ok , I am going to rant a little. please forgive me or something. I am so sick of feeling my boobs against my clothing and also of being judged by them. Judgement by boob is something I am very very tired of. 

Woo, you did it! No need for forgiveness or anything, just do what you think will make you the happiest. (Also, Judgment by Boob sounds like either a punishment for some horrible crime or an alt rock band.) 

• Like 6

@Skylord Thanks for making me laugh. That would be a great name for a band. well, maybe.

I got a shipping update. Maybe it will come next week. At least they are not talking about June.

• Like 5
quadfasciata
  1. I'm honestly very surprised no one has asked me if I'm trans yet. At least once a week I get asked if I'm gay, and I don't really associate with any guys -- at all.
  2. Oh my god. It's the little things that make me enjoy life: sharing hairbands and talking about hair with other girls. (Even if they don't know I'm a girl)
  3. A friend (acquaintance?) came out as bi today! I like to imagine that I had something to do with her feeling comfortable enough to tell everyone -- wearing a pride pin, and teasing her about a (non-existent) relationship with another girl. It just made me realize how much I want to help other queer people feel comfortable enough to come out. I definitely want to join a GSA at some point, even if just for that purpose. We'll see.
  • Like 7
Janus the Fox
10 hours ago, quadfasciata said:

I'm honestly very surprised no one has asked me if I'm trans yet.

I'd be oddly surprised that anyone says this out in the wild, 'mistakenly' called mr and miss, she or him, but never 'are you trans?'  The HRT is working however if many are becoming unsure of my physical sex.

• Like 2
quadfasciata
On 5/4/2022 at 8:28 AM, Janus the Fox said:

I'd be oddly surprised that anyone says this out in the wild, 'mistakenly' called mr and miss, she or him, but never 'are you trans?'  The HRT is working however if many are becoming unsure of my physical sex.

Maybe, not in the wild, but friends and acquaintances? I'm openly queer, though I (falsely) claim that I don't have any clue about my identity. I've pulled off stunts like wearing dresses around "for s&g". I'm definitely not the most masculine of people, and know quite a few lesbian in-jokes that a cis guy really wouldn't. Yeah, in my situation anyways it would par for the course if friends asked.

I really doubt anyone would gender me correct me or be in doubt about my sex at my current stage.

• Like 3

The binder arrived. I like it!😃 I thought it would be uncomfortable but its fine. Thanks for encouraging me. 

• Like 6
55 minutes ago, froglady said:

The binder arrived. I like it!😃 I thought it would be uncomfortable but its fine. Thanks for encouraging me. 

Yay! :D 

• Like 3

I'm not so sure about the froglady thing. Somebody kind of named me that once. Maybe froggy would be better but similar. Can such things be changed?

Maybe the whole frog thing is weird. It all started because of a frog pin on my hat a long time ago.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, froglady said:

That’s awesome! Don’t forget: don’t wear it for too long (it’s recomended no longer than eight hours), take breaks as needed, pay attention to any discomfort/irritation, try not to sleep or exercise with it on. And with that I wish you a happy binding! 

8 minutes ago, froglady said:

I'm not so sure about the froglady thing. Somebody kind of named me that once. Maybe froggy would be better but similar. Can such things be changed?

Your display name can be changed under “Account Settings” in the menu tab. 

• Like 5

@Skylord thanks! Looks like froggy is already in use so frogster it is. 

And I'll try to keep my binder use within healthy limits.

I feel ridiculously happy and relieved.

Oh, I also cut my hair because it was bothering me. That helped too.

• Like 7
SilenceRadio
On 4/6/2022 at 1:12 PM, Lysandre, the Star-Crossed said:

Hopefully someone needed this today, I know I did...

Reminds me of this from here:

tumblr_mxmq8dvs1i1r4rurfo1_500.jpg

On 5/8/2022 at 6:55 AM, Frogster said:

@Skylord thanks! Looks like froggy is already in use so frogster it is. 

And I'll try to keep my binder use within healthy limits.

I feel ridiculously happy and relieved.

Oh, I also cut my hair because it was bothering me. That helped too.

I'm glad you like your binder!

Haircuts definitely can be a game-changer.

• Like 7

I got a court date for official name changing!! 💞 On paper, it looks like it'll be easy enough to change the Texas birth certificate without burning anything down, so that's good.

It doesn't outweigh the maleing (let alone the mirror), but I've gotten she'd and miss'd three times in the last month-ish. 👉🏻👉🏻 Laser removal for facial hair's pretty cool. Got bumped up on the hrt timeline, too.

Nail polish, eye liner, earrings, bracelets, v neck t's, skinny jeans, camisoles/tank tops, cardigans, short shorts, occasionally ripped jeans, and hair ties are lit. And hoodies. Hoodies are essential.

• Like 9
11 minutes ago, RacheI said:

I got a court date for official name changing!!

Cool. Congrats!

11 minutes ago, RacheI said:

but I've gotten she'd and miss'd three times in the last month-ish.

Nice

12 minutes ago, RacheI said:

Laser removal for facial hair's pretty cool.

If I weren't so lazy about it and phone averse I'd really consider electrolysis (my whiskers are too light for laser removal).

13 minutes ago, RacheI said:

Nail polish, eye liner, earrings, bracelets, v neck t's, skinny jeans, camisoles/tank tops, cardigans, short shorts, occasionally ripped jeans, and hair ties are lit. And hoodies. Hoodies are essential.

:D 

• Like 5

I recently sorted through my old skirts that I haven't worn in years, with the intent of getting rid of most of them. Then I stumbled upon a fairly neutral-looking skirt and thought to myself, "I have the perfect men's shirt that would go great with this!" So I put it in my "keep" pile, along with a blouse that I think might look good with some men's cargo pants...? Idk, I'm still figuring out what to wear with that one.

Besides the obvious gender-related reasons, part of why I stopped wearing skirts is because they just weren't practical for the type of work I do. But as I was sorting, I stumbled upon a few of my longer (ankle-length) skirts and thought it might be worth trying to convert them into pant-skirts once I have access to my sewing machine again. That can be my "compromise" for days when I want to express just a tiny bit more femininity. :)

And!! I also found the perfect pair of swim trunks for myself! I had a rough idea of what I wanted my trunks to look like, then the image in my head just magically materialized on the rack in front of me while I was out shopping. And they fit!! I already had the perfect swim top to go with them, so now I have my ideal gender-neutral swim outfit all set. :D

(I'll shut up about clothes now; I just wanted to get all of that out of my system)

• Like 10
  • 2 weeks later...
quadfasciata

Some nice things over the past week(ish):

• I think I posted about this somewhere else, but FaceApp gendered me female! That was such a boost! Now I'm wondering if I'm in denial about how I could potentially pass.
  • I just took a recording of my voice while doing a voice training exercise, and while it is not perfect, I'm significantly farther along than I thought. The last time I recorded my voice (while training) was months ago, and now, while stretching my voice, it is solidly androgynous! That was so nice!
  • I got the documents for a name change! It's not going to happen for a while, but having the documents feels a lot better.

Still need to get clearance from my father for GAHT, but I'm trying to look on the bright side.

• Like 9
Antithesis

I like the way my voice goes through a lot of different pitches when I talk, people have told me it's musical and that always makes me grin. I also like my leg hairs (they're like a fluffy forest!) and my muscles from exercise, it feels good to know that doing things I love like swimming make me look strong.

• Like 7
Blue eyes white dragon

I bought a genderqueer small flag and the person ringing me up was hyping me up all kinds and it made me happy and feel more confident in who I am

• Like 8
32 minutes ago, Blue eyes white dragon said:

I bought a genderqueer small flag and the person ringing me up was hyping me up all kinds and it made me happy and feel more confident in who I am

Nice :D 

• Like 5

This thread makes me so happy to read.

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

This thread makes me so happy to read.

Same. This is a good place to go when I’m feeling down. 

• Like 7