a gender positive thread

butterflydreams

1 minute ago, daveb said:

When I was a kid in school and we had any sort of singing going on they would tell me to mouth the words.

They also made me play the instruments that were hardest to screw up and/or had the smallest role in any music.

So I learned long ago that I am not musically inclined, and was not encouraged in any musical endeavor. Basically had any inclinations I might possibly have had in that realm extinguished. It wasn't just the teachers either. I learned that my tastes in music weren't cool. I even got out of taking music in junior high because I had too much on my schedule and music got dropped from it.

On the positive side, I did have an older person in my life in my late teens who was very musical and encouraged my tastes in music regardless of what anyone else might think. It was because of that person that I came to "own" my tastes in music and enjoy it. :D

Well I'm glad there is positive in there! 
One of my favourite teachers at school had a similar experience to you with it, and I know it sucks. I was always discouraged (but not to the same extent) to do it, but I started out by listening to music often enough with headphones on, I drowned myself out. Over the last couple of years I have become happier to just sing. I personally find it freeing, though I know a lot of people do/would not :) 

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, Ricchan said:

Well I'm glad there is positive in there! 
One of my favourite teachers at school had a similar experience to you with it, and I know it sucks. I was always discouraged (but not to the same extent) to do it, but I started out by listening to music often enough with headphones on, I drowned myself out. Over the last couple of years I have become happier to just sing. I personally find it freeing, though I know a lot of people do/would not :) 

I am a good singer (woah Emma, so humble :rolleyes:) and I concur.  Singing just.....feels good.  Even if I lapse into singing badly, I still do it, because it's so cathartic and consuming.

• Like 6

When I was younger, I had a friend who would make fun of me whenever I tried to sing. So I stopped singing, for fear that people would make fun of me. In college, though, I've been trying really hard to get past that. Last night, I joined a bunch of my friends in singing along to a song from Hamilton. That was the first time that I can remember ever singing in front of so many people. I'm so happy that I was finally able to do that.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Toothlesss said:

*stares around being one of the few in the thread with drawing talent* *hides under my wings* 

I'll share mine if you share yours! :ph34r:

• Like 6
Toothlesss
2 minutes ago, Ix Phoen said:

Spoiler
This is how you earn a dragon's loyalty

Spoiler
Hiccstrid 2

• Like 11

@Toothless What fun! You're really good at drawing Toothless for some reason ... I wonder why? :blink::D:lol:

Spoiler

14650217_1320328501345332_3055748625080611070553_1023580791020106_4435454397413693355_n.jpg?oh=927c58ff61129076d0e53311362074cb&oe=59C09109

10980717_953607758017410_465827798435423791_n.jpg?oh=d65e63962f2274db08b9e333f0bc6616&oe=5975869D10801632_899090160135837_1441829539114461358_n.jpg?oh=0d03eb836994b298d547578ddce2c81b&oe=59BEB251

Edit: One of my goals is to eventually draw a series of abstract comics where it's impossible to guess the gender of the characters. I like the idea of creating something that represents the human form without narrowing it down too much. 

• Like 10

@Ix Phoen wow i really love the purple one with the swing! Do you sell prints of your art?

And that comic sound really cool.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, SimplyAce said:

Gorgeous every single time :wub:

Thanks the first is kind of based on me like some sort of self portrait.

• Like 3
butterflydreams
8 hours ago, Ix Phoen said:

Omg...hilarious :lol:

Wow, we've got some artists around here. Such unique and lovely work! Have any of you found that you channel any of your feelings about yourself into your art? Like if you're drawing people, or yourself?

I'll continue it at some point, but I was working on a novel where I had woven in what I thought was a unique and subtle transition story. The lead character was a lot like I was, really smart, kind of a loner, shy, anxious, paranoid, etc. The story is kind of complex, but he meets up with this resistance group fronted by two women, the one in charge and her quiet but observant second in command. Spoiler alert...

Eventually the leader betrays the main character, killing him. The second in command finally steps up and kills the leader. At the end, it's revealed the whole time that the main character and the second in command had been close and he had been giving her all of his knowledge and experience, the one person he ever trusted enough to do so. In a way, his ideas and his soul (the main focus of the story) lived on through her. And she became a more real, 3-dimensional character because of it. No longer just staying in the shadows, meek and ineffectual.

I really need to finish writing the book. I psyched myself out that, "how can you write a novel?"

• Like 10

That novel sound really interesting. As has been stated here before you have talent. 

And to answer your question yes I have realized that I often draw my dream me. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Hadley167 said:

Have any of you found that you channel any of your feelings about yourself into your art? Like if you're drawing people, or yourself?

I run into this a lot. I think it's part of the reason I don't want to hang my own art on my walls. It's too much like covering everything in self portraits, only of the soul (cue dramatic, swelling orchestral music). Heh. 

Same with writing. The characters are developed out of pieces of myself and various ways I think I'd react (or the opposite of how I think I'd react) to different backstory, different levels of confidence, etc.  It's one of the reasons I'd love to join a supportive writing group again one day. A reader who isn't me will point out if I'm reusing the same character traits too much.

It's fun, though, to experiment with ideas and really think about the variety of ways people are affected by circumstances just depending on what they understand about themselves based on how others have always treated them. 

Your story sounds really interesting, Hadley. I psyche myself out, too. If you ever want to start up again I'll be on the cheering squad. 

Isn't it amazing what we are capable of? Sometimes I look at everything I've written (and never shared) and realize it's been multiple books worth of material already. It's not that I can't write a whole book, but rather that I allow myself to believe it can't be done and stop adding words to the story. I have a six novella series plotted right now. One is fully written and the rest are ready to write (along with multiple short stories about the side characters) once I get caught up on other projects that are more vital to my livelihood. That's pretty cool. The seeds are in my hands. Just because I didn't plant them all this year doesn't mean I won't eventually give them a chance to take root and bear fruit. 

edit:

Spoiler

@Kimmie.You can see my art prints at kareneeart.com and follow me on https://www.facebook.com/KareneeArt

• Like 8

@Ix Phoen will check it out thanks. I rarely use Facebook do. 

• Like 4
DayDreamer~

*Randomly pops in*

In regards to the original question, I suppose I have to say that I'm comfortable with all of me. I like my short hair because it's easy to take care of, and I like my shoulders for some reason because I feel strong when I stand tall. My arms are like string beans but they're pretty strong too, as are my legs due to soccer in my earlier years, although I should probably do more by way of exercise. At least I'll be hiking quite a few miles this summer (vacation in Colorado~).

One of my favorite things though is my blue eyes. They're lighter than a usual blue, so very sensitive to light, but very pretty to look at I suppose =P

~

As for the art question, oh yes, definitely! How I draw myself reflects my feelings at the time, which is why I have several characters that seem to represent myself at different times in my life (hairstyle and all). My most recent version of myself, Claire, I'm quite happy with. I even designed her/myself a set of wings recently that I'm quite proud of. xD 

I write a lot, too. About to start writing a new book series where there are a few ruling families descended from mythical creatures, but a greedy member of the Dragon lineage started to have the other lines assassinated years ago. The Phoenix family is supposed to be ruling now, but they've all gone into hiding. So a resistance goes to recruit Jasmine based on rumors of her lineage. Problem is she doesn't want to lead anything except her own life. 

• Like 6
Toothlesss
9 hours ago, Hadley167 said:

Have any of you found that you channel any of your feelings about yourself into your art? Like if you're drawing people, or yourself?

I did a self portrait for a HTTYD fan magazine I helped create. I was really proud of myself for getting as much writing done as I did for it, along with extra stuff that wasn't 

The portrait I made..

Spoiler

Self Portrait

I feel like I covey a lot of the mental stuff in my head into my writing. I tend to write pretty dramatic stuff and for my original stuff, a huge story I'm slowly working on- the villain isn't even your average run of the mill classic Disney type, although she's in a position of power so she pretty much does what she wants. Some of it is what I'd definitely consider R rated by US terms (or M in Europe). 

Spoiler Alert, eventually her country rebels against her and they end up with a constitutional monarchy. (To be fair to my own viewpoints- I tire of the US political system so I didn't want it for my fictional world.) Her country is in contrast to the one where my original characters come from, as in strict gender role enforcement vs no one caring a thing as long as you can get the job done. 

My original characters originated in a role-play within the HTTYD fandom :D:D. My own version of things is farther back than that role play's timeline went...

Also, the first group of Sims on my Sims game. on my Sims game though I pretty much give them a "perfect" life etc...

Spoiler

Though, Kira lately's been getting into the weird parts of the Sim world...like falling for the Cowplant/Audrey2...and being abducted by aliens :D:D  LOL. 

I should make my own thread in Off-A or the other section, but I just feel like eh.. :/ the last time I shared anything creative outside of the gender forum I ended up sharing with the wrong type of person. *sigh* 

• Like 9
ItWasNiceKnowingYou

@Toothlesss awweee *hugs* but you're so talented though!!! We luvs you!! You keep sharing as you please. I love seeing your work here :wub:

FEEL LOVED & APPRECIATED!!!! *gives jugs filled with love & appreciation*

• Like 9
Ashes Floating

I have a minor case of central heterochromia iriduim.

Meaning: there's a ring of gold around my pupils, while the rest of my eyes are blue. It's not really related to my gender, but I love it anyways.

• Like 7
ItWasNiceKnowingYou
53 minutes ago, Ashes Floating said:

I have a minor case of central heterochromia iriduim.

Meaning: there's a ring of gold around my pupils, while the rest of my eyes are blue. It's not really related to my gender, but I love it anyways.

Sounds gorgeous 

• Like 5

Since people are posting art, I'll contribute this:

2hpmw7d.jpg

It appears to be sideways. Sorry about that.

More on topic, I was hanging out with friends that were actually using my pronouns really openly (that hasn't happened much before), and for the first time, I wasn't scared by it. It was one of the first times that I've felt completely confident that I made the right choice and that they/them fits me best.

• Like 10
Gentle Giant

@Andiamo Nice horse drawing! It is in correct position for me. I'm using an iPad. Good for you on feeling confident about your pronouns.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Gentle Giant said:

@Andiamo Nice horse drawing! It is in correct position for me. I'm using an iPad. Good for you on feeling confident about your pronouns.

Thank you!

• Like 3

Wow @Andiamo that drawing is amazing!!!

And that is great about your friends and pronouns.:)

Spoiler

And i have actually orderd a top and breast forms from the site that jayce linked to:)

Will see how it feels.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, Kimmie. said:

Wow @Andiamo that drawing is amazing!!!

And that is great about your friends and pronouns.:)

Reveal hidden contents

And i have actually orderd a top and breast forms from the site that jayce linked to:)

Will see how it feels.

Yay!! I'm glad you found your items on the site!! I hope they work out just fine for you :)

I've talked to the one who owns the site on what material they use for the binders and looks like i can order mine! Still waiting for their response though, but yay :D  

Just now, Jayce said:

I've talked to the one who owns the site on what material they use for the binders and looks like i can order mine! Still waiting for their response though, but yay :D  

Yays for you then. From what i read on some products is that they are making things by there isn in Amsterdam. How they can have those prices at things made in europe i don't get. Has to be some type of volunteer work. 

6 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

Yays for you then. From what i read on some products is that they are making things by there isn in Amsterdam. How they can have those prices at things made in europe i don't get. Has to be some type of volunteer work. 

It's probaly because they make almost everything themselves, they are an artstudio, I believe.

2 minutes ago, Jayce said:

It's probaly because they make almost everything themselves, they are an artstudio, I believe.

Yes, you are probably right.

Speaking of nothing at all. I just realized that i spent half the weekend looking at shoes. I am such a girl sometimes:P

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

Yes, you are probably right.

Speaking of nothing at all. I just realized that i spent half the weekend looking at shoes. I am such a girl sometimes:P

That's because there is no such thing as getting between a girl and her shoes :P

Says someone who has too many shoes :D 

I hate shopping. I hate clothes shopping. I always want new shoes.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Ricchan said:

I hate shopping. I hate clothes shopping. I always want new shoes.

Shoes always win from clothes :D  I've got more shoes then clothes in my wardrobe :P 

Dodecahedron314

Just here to say I'm very jealous of all y'all's art skills. The limit of my abilities at this point is cosplay schematics and odd math doodles.

• Like 4