a gender positive thread

butterflydreams

1 hour ago, Mezzo Forte said:

My birth certificate officially lists me as male now :) 

Congratulations

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

Awesome! Congrats! :cake: 

• Like 2

The new law in Germany as opened a possibility for trans people to change their name and gender marker without two psychiatric certificates. You only need to have a letter from a physician which simply says that you have "eine Variante der Geschlechtsentwicklung": https://www.jetzt.de/gender/laura-hat-sich-ein-neues-geschlecht-eintragen-lassen, the law: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/pstg/__45b.html.

I don't know if this leads to changes in medical transition steps being covered by health insurance.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

*high-fives you*

• Like 2

I like my androgynous haircut and pale skin and sometimes my face. 😐

• Like 6
nerdperson777

I just might have the highest AND lowest voice in my apartment.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

Congrats! 😃 

3 hours ago, Aspyn Jean said:

I like my androgynous haircut and pale skin and sometimes my face. 😐

Sorry, but I just wanted to say that I love your avatar. 

I especially love the ace colors! 💜

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

Muay thai/boxing coach: *vague grumbling that we didn't sign up for competitions, claims that the women don't want to fight because they don't want their mascara to run or to get scars*

Me, during the warm up while running his way and doing laps: I'd love some scars, but I'm trans and not a girl so...

Me, during the next round: I mean I'd like to fight, but not necessarily against girls because I'm not one.

Me, talking to the other club members: Never thought I'd come out so fast!

Someone else laughed and I'm pretty sure my coach has already forgotten if he's not familiar with trans stuff who knows. But I simultaneously stopped him trying to use misogynistic trash-talk stuff against the two people he thought he was addressing(like why would you think you're necessarily gonna have girls competing when there are barely any in the club, pretty sure the guys don't have a 50% volunteer rate for competing?) and came out as trans without doing it super formally lol.

• Like 7
On 3/4/2017 at 8:35 PM, Guest And Peggy said:

I have found a way to bind (during my agender days) that doesn't damage my breasts (for my ultrafeminine days) :D

please tell me how when you get a chance

Ms. Carolynne

For whatever reason, I actually felt feminine and dare I say, pretty today. Even though I'm not out or presenting in any way, I still felt nice.

I was clean shaven, wearing my cute unisex pullover with a cartoon cat on it (I believe I've posted a picture of it in one of the clothing threads), and my hair for the most part actually looks nice as I've started using conditioner and it's making a difference. It's softer, and appears a bit more voluminous and feminine, and I like that (my hairline sucks though due to it receding, I need to do something about that).

It made me a little nervous actually, as I had to go out in public and I knew I'd come across as a feminine guy, but it wasn't too bad. I did get kind of a dirty look from an older guy for no real reason other than I was there, but maybe I'm just overthinking a random glance. I kind of had the urge to take it off and go around in my Children of Bodom shirt instead (as I'm still self-conscious about being feminine), but I stuck to my outfit and I feel good about it. I even got complimented on my hoodie.

• Like 10
46 minutes ago, Ms. Carolynne said:

For whatever reason, I actually felt feminine and dare I say, pretty today. Even though I'm not out or presenting in any way, I still felt nice.

I was clean shaven, wearing my cute unisex pullover with a cartoon cat on it (I believe I've posted a picture of it in one of the clothing threads), and my hair for the most part actually looks nice as I've started using conditioner and it's making a difference. It's softer, and appears a bit more voluminous and feminine, and I like that (my hairline sucks though due to it receding, I need to do something about that).

It made me a little nervous actually, as I had to go out in public and I knew I'd come across as a feminine guy, but it wasn't too bad. I did get kind of a dirty look from an older guy for no real reason other than I was there, but maybe I'm just overthinking a random glance. I kind of had the urge to take it off and go around in my Children of Bodom shirt instead (as I'm still self-conscious about being feminine), but I stuck to my outfit and I feel good about it. I even got complimented on my hoodie.

This post cheered me up 🙂

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ms. Carolynne said:

my hairline sucks though due to it receding, I need to do something about that

I had this problem for a little while..... luckily mine has mostly restored itself...
I am so so so glad... One of those big things as you know...

• Like 2
Mezzo Forte

It's not strictly related to my transition, but I've been invited to present my trans musician research at four different conferences: 2 in the US, 1 in Canada, and 1 in the UK. :) Of them, one is specifically for trans vocalists and another is more generally LGBTQ+ with more of a focus on activism.

I might have gotten a little carried away submitting abstracts for conferences this semester, but they'll all look great on my CV, not to mention that I enjoy the social side of these events. I have friends attending some of the same conferences as me who I met from the conferences I spoke at last year, and I also love attending trans events for the feeling of community/solidarity. :) 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

It's not strictly related to my transition, but I've been invited to present my trans musician research at four different conferences: 2 in the US, 1 in Canada, and 1 in the UK. :) Of them, one is specifically for trans vocalists and another is more generally LGBTQ+ with more of a focus on activism.

I might have gotten a little carried away submitting abstracts for conferences this semester, but they'll all look great on my CV, not to mention that I enjoy the social side of these events. I have friends attending some of the same conferences as me who I met from the conferences I spoke at last year, and I also love attending trans events for the feeling of community/solidarity. :) 

Congratulations 🎊. Conferences are great for meeting people, but at the same time it is scary for me to talk to foreign people.

• Like 2
Mezzo Forte
4 hours ago, Bloc said:

Congratulations 🎊. Conferences are great for meeting people, but at the same time it is scary for me to talk to foreign people.

Thanks! I definitely enjoy the social aspect of conferences, especially since that has a way of stopping me from getting so caught up in imposter syndrome. I'm a bit nervous because I need to convert my paper/research to a proper presentation and time myself so that I don't go past the 20-minute time limit. :P (I also worry that the research I am presenting is a bit too preliminary, but all the acceptances I am getting seem to be saying otherwise.) One of the presentations I'm doing is an hour-long workshop, but I've already given a very similar workshop at another conference, so the timing should (hopefully) work out decently haha. I'm nervous about getting eviscerated during the QnA afterwards, but my inner optimist likes the idea of using any criticisms to strengthen my future research.

I actually just got an invitation to present at a fifth conference today, but I have to turn that one down since it conflicts with one I already accepted. :P 

• Like 2
nerdperson777

I saw a news last night about San Francisco cracking down on RVs being parked.  There was one person interviewed who was a woman and she said she and her boyfriend were being affected by this.  Her voice sounded not cis.  Assuming as this woman on TV was trans, I was surprised that it wasn't mentioned like most other places I expected.  So I'm just going to think that there was a trans woman who got interviewed, all the correct pronouns were used, and there was no issue whatsoever.  On one hand, this should be a normal thing, but on the other, I guess I'm still not used to that in this current society.

• Like 4
Celyn: The Lutening

@nerdperson777 There was an episode of the Australian quiz show, ?Think Tank? where my transdar went off one of the contestants, pretty sure he was trans. Nobody on the show said anything and my family didn't appear to notice. 

• Like 2
PolgaraTheSorceress

I've started loving my height (5,10), I don’t have to wear heels to be a foot taller than everyone! But I'm making up for years of slouching slowly but surely 

• Like 5

@PolgaraTheSorceress That sounds like the perfect height tbh, I'm quite jealous. 

Love the username! 

nerdperson777
On 3/2/2019 at 6:31 PM, PolgaraTheSorceress said:

I've started loving my height (5,10), I don’t have to wear heels to be a foot taller than everyone! But I'm making up for years of slouching slowly but surely 

I measured myself at work the other day and I actually was 5' 4", no rounding up.  For the longest time I was 5' 3.25", sometimes 5' 3.5".  Am I really growing on T?  I'm already in my 20s.  My martial arts shoe size (in EU) had gone from 35 to 38 since I started a few years ago.  I normally wear shoes with a little bit of space inside but I was told not to have any space.  Usually my shoe size is a half size bigger for that.  So eventually I found out that I was wearing the wrong size because my friend had a shoe size a half size smaller than me and we were still wearing the same size.  So I went up to the 36.  Then I added insoles because I was definitely wearing the shoes more especially when I started teaching.  I went up to 37.  Now maybe my feet grew?  I had bought two pairs of 37 so that when I wore out one, I still had another.  So the 37 was having trouble fitting.  Now I'm size 38.  I also think my feet must've gotten wider.  It wouldn't be improbable because my dad actually has to wear specifically wide shoes.  My insoles are actually not wide enough now and I had tiny skinny feet.

• Like 3
Jelli (not a robot)

I like my eye colour and hair colour. I also like that my soft skin and my height.

Edited by Jelli (not a robot)
  • Like 1

Had a pretty awesome day genderwise. That amazing feeling when you look it the mirror and go "Yup. That's a me. I look like this." Instead of "Who is that? This is not how I should look."

It was strange because my hips have been bothering me lately (I think my work trousers show them more for some reason) but not today. They were offset by my button-up and cable-knit jumper combo (with sports bra and short hair ofc).

Thing is, I keep wearing tight shirts just because the stretchy-ness means I don't have to iron and I'm lazy, and then I keep seeing my shape in reflective doors/windows and getting mad about it.

Well, lesson learned. I'll stop doing that. Ironing is a small price to pay for gender euphoria. 

• Like 4
ElasticPlanet
17 minutes ago, Celyn said:

Ironing is a small price to pay for gender euphoria.

I've found the same thing, although I'm going in the opposite direction from you. 🙂

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Celyn said:

That amazing feeling when you look it the mirror and go "Yup. That's a me. I look like this."

I'll be honest - I would like to experience this awesome feeling of elation one day. 😶

ElasticPlanet
On 3/8/2019 at 8:29 PM, Celyn said:

That amazing feeling when you look it the mirror and go "Yup. That's a me. I look like this."

I don't know if I've reached that level yet with my face. I thought I was getting close, but it's been a bit flaky lately. But my hair is long enough to be part of the shape of my shadow now, and that was pretty satisfying one time a few weeks ago when the sun happened to be right behind me. 🙂

More on the ironing thing from before: I usually find it annoyingly fiddly and it takes me ages to get a half-decent result. I never bothered to learn how to use the steam feature, so instead I just iron each thing straight out of the washing machine, while it's still a bit damp. It only becomes a satisfying job when I score some kind of gender win by doing it. Like ironing the denim pinny dress I made a couple of months back. Something I was sort of aware of wanting years ago, before I'd even started to question my gender properly. And here I am with the sewing skills to (slowly!!!) more or less hack a decent one together myself, which means I get to decide how long it should be and where the pockets go...

• Like 3
nerdperson777
4 hours ago, ElasticPlanet said:

And here I am with the sewing skills to (slowly!!!) more or less hack a decent one together myself, which means I get to decide how long it should be and where the pockets go...

My martial arts pants don't come with pockets anymore so whenever I get the time, I'm going to try doing it like another pair I have.  My aunt did it once for a fancy jacket I was making and she said it was hard so I'm prepared to not know how to do it.  It's like a blazer pocket, a rectangle in its place, and the pocket hidden there.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
nerdperson777

I was talking to that binary (as far as I know) teen on Saturday when we were both working on a birthday party.  He said that he would take one of the balloons that got left behind to suck out the helium and make his voice high.  I told him that I had a big range somehow naturally so I don't need helium to be able to do that.  I know that he's a vocalist so his comment of that being a good thing made me feel like I was doing something right.

• Like 3

I'm noticing a lot (I mean A LOT) of AMAB students with long hair wearing headbands (you know, those curved plastic things with combs on the inside to keep your hair out of your face). When I was in school that would definitely get a boy beaten up, so I think it's super cool that that its now a thing any gender can use to be practical and keep their hair tidy.

• Like 5
nerdperson777
1 hour ago, Celyn said:

I'm noticing a lot (I mean A LOT) of AMAB students with long hair wearing headbands (you know, those curved plastic things with combs on the inside to keep your hair out of your face). When I was in school that would definitely get a boy beaten up, so I think it's super cool that that its now a thing any gender can use to be practical and keep their hair tidy.

I think maybe they're called hairbands?  That would differentiate them from headbands that are circular and go on the head horizontally.

I guess I had a gender affirming moment over the weekend.  I told my parents at dinner that I'm still growing even though I thought I should be done by now.  My feet have gotten bigger and wider and I grew an inch.  I also grew past the last inch I just got to.  So my dad said that he bought a pair of shoes but they're not fitting him so after dinner, he'll give them to me to try.  My parents always had bigger feet than me.  My feet were just small compared to most people.  So conveniently, the shoes that my dad bought were kind of small for their size.  Also, he has wide feet so he has to get the specifically marked W shoes.  (With that, when I realized my feet were getting wider, I was thinking that I must've been getting my dad's genes there.)  These shoes were small, and they weren't wide.  I asked why he bought them if they weren't wide and I didn't get a concrete answer.  So now I got a new pair of shoes that were supposed to be my dad's size.  And somewhere in there, my mom took my old shoes.  Now my feet are the same length as hers but my toe lengths are more even/less sloped?  So in that aspect, my feet take up more area than hers, and thus bigger.